Dust and fragrance free litter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking for pea fiber litter and ran into this: Amazon.com Clumping, unscented, "99% dust free" (whatever that means), and flushable, which all sounds lovely. But it's made from tofu. Tofu?? Is this a good idea?

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using Pioneer Pet Smart Cat grass litter for about the last year. No dust but it tracks BAD. As I was getting tired of all the litter everywhere, I thought I would tray Petco & Petsmart brands of grass seed. The Petco one is definitely less dusty than Petsmart. I dumped the Petsmart litter into a bucket & this is what it does, it coats with a fine dust. Won't ever be buying Petsmart Equisicat naturals grass seed litter again.

I would check out the Petco brand, it's decent.
The dust struggle is real. I am sadly still using the same litter which just gets worse and worse. I’m sitting here with my big girl now as I read this. She doesn’t come around much for brushing anymore. Of all the cats she has trouble cleaning herself due to size.
im seeing how bad thedust is caked in her fur. It saddens me that she lives with this.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The dust struggle is real. I am sadly still using the same litter which just gets worse and worse. I’m sitting here with my big girl now as I read this. She doesn’t come around much for brushing anymore. Of all the cats she has trouble cleaning herself due to size.
im seeing how bad thedust is caked in her fur. It saddens me that she lives with this.
What type of brush are you using, and how old is she?

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I always read clay is the worst for dust but when I had the girl in my profile pic, I used Arm & Hammer Super Scoop & there was no dust. On a black cat, if there's dust, you're gonna see it. I wanted to see if the product changed so I actually just bought some about a week ago, I poured it into the box, no dust coming up. I put my plastic scoop in, no dust. I look at my black cat after, paws, tail, head, no dust. I bought more boxes.

What the most interesting part to all of this is, I have 2 boxes. One is full of grass seed, the other with Super Scoop. I haven't had anything to clean out in the grass seed box ever since I bought the other kind. All 3 of my cats prefer the clay over the grass seed. I find that very interesting! The grass seed to so soft, I would think they would like that more but they don't.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What type of brush are you using, and how old is she?
She turns 10 this year. She used to tolerate brushing very well . Maybe 8 months ago I started noticing that all the cats were flinching their backs badly all the time. We went back and forth , is it arthritis.. did shots in two of them. Brushing pretty much stoped as she hated it. One day the bristles on the brush scratched my leg while trying to brush. A lightbulb went off. I tried brushing my arm with the brush. I had been brushing my girl way too aggressively. That brush hurts like hell on my skin. I assume I was brushing them to hard.
the btush on the left is what I was using in the past.
the brush on the right is what I use now but mostly for her sister who is long hair. She is able clean herself pretty well and is not nearly as bad.
the cat in the pic you saw. It’s gotten so bad, her hair hardly moves in the underparts. I’ve been trying to use the pin brush to brush thru her short hair and softy use the bristle to pick up the shed. She sheds badly just to the touch.
also in the past I would use little plastic combs to try and remove her dandruff.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always read clay is the worst for dust but when I had the girl in my profile pic, I used Arm & Hammer Super Scoop & there was no dust. On a black cat, if there's dust, you're gonna see it. I wanted to see if the product changed so I actually just bought some about a week ago, I poured it into the box, no dust coming up. I put my plastic scoop in, no dust. I look at my black cat after, paws, tail, head, no dust. I bought more boxes.

What the most interesting part to all of this is, I have 2 boxes. One is full of grass seed, the other with Super Scoop. I haven't had anything to clean out in the grass seed box ever since I bought the other kind. All 3 of my cats prefer the clay over the grass seed. I find that very interesting! The grass seed to so soft, I would think they would like that more but they don't.
That blows my mind. You would think they would not want the dust blowing up in their face. Maybe it has a smell that they do not like?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe it has a smell that they do not like?
It’s probably the fact that they sink down more when they step onto the grass litter. I tried a litter box with the grass litter and watched them step into it, sink in, and quickly step out again and go over to the box with clay. So I started with clay and mixed the grass litter in over time until it was completely grass. They use it now with no problem.