Dust and fragrance free litter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put feelers out last year for a dust free scent free litter to replace tidy cats charcoal litter.

I was really keen on switching to a pellet. However brands I tried, pellets were very sharp on the ends. They were used maybe once or twice but did not work out.

Has anyone had success with a pellet litter that is not sharp? And does not have fragrance?

Or any other fragrance free dust free litter.

I’m at a loss, I have to make a change. These girls are covered in litter dust. It was just a wake up call when deshedding/ cleaning their cat tree and feeling the silkiness of the litter coated in the seats. This stuff is everywhere.

In October I tried

Dr elsey (used to be our favorite for many years)

Exquisicat pellets - no smell but not luck these were very very sharp

Fresh step simply unscented - this product is not unscented very perfume

Okia wood pellets - got used once or twice by one cat.

I have three cats and 4 boxes. Two cats have very big pees that like to dig.

Any help is appreciated

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure if the edges are sharp or not but this seems to have good reviews:
Amazon.com

Also, have you looked into Pretty Litter? I've heard it's fairly dust free, finding a clumping litter that is 100% dust free seems to be impossible. :(

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our litters is Okocat Super Soft unscented wood litter (it's not pellets but they do offer pellets). This litter is so light and flaky that it falls off my cats right away, there is a lot of tracking in our bathroom around the litter box but almost none of it outside of the bathroom. It's also flushable but I find I can only flush one clump at a time. And one of my cats LOVES this litter!
https://www.chewy.com/okocat-super-soft-clumping-wood/dp/117423

Another litter we use is World's Best corn based litter. We use the multiple cat version and have tried their low tracking & dust control. It's considered low tracking because the pieces of litter are much larger than regular litter, and the large pieces don't get stuck in their paws and hair as much, and any that does get stuck usually falls off soon because it's a little heavier than regular litter. I ended up not liking it for two reasons: one, it didn't seem to track any less than their regular litter (which is already low tracking) and two, it was annoying to scoop and I had to buy a new scooper to accommodate the larger pieces.
https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-low-tracking-dust-control/dp/393319

This is the multiple cat version we use, I really like it: https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-multi-cat-unscented/dp/30237

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
One of our litters is Okocat Super Soft unscented wood litter
I've used Okocat, too. It clumps well and isn't dusty. It does track quite a bit, but then, don't they all! The Super Soft that Astragal14 Astragal14 mentions is very fine. They have one that's a bit coarser as well as two kinds of pellets. I haven't used any of those.
SoPhresh grass seed litter
I'm currently using clumping grass litter which I really like. No dust to speak of, clumps quite well, and controls the smell. I buy Abound from our local Kroger affiliate. There's also SmartCat which is good litter but more expensive.

A note about the Okocat and the grass litter: As I said, they all track, particularly if you have long-haired kitties. These litters are extremely lightweight, and my cats freaked out when I first put it down for them because they started to sink. They wouldn't use it. So I incorporated a couple of cups at a time into the clumping clay and mixed well. By the time it was 100% grass litter, they were fine with it. I did have to stop using the Okocat because, oddly, it seemed to attract ants. I don't have that problem with the grass.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom and Tobermory Tobermory do you think grass litter is okay for cats with grass allergies? One of my cats is allergic to several types of grass.
Unfortunately, I would be cautious about using grass litter if your cat is allergic to grasses. You might look into tofu litter. I’ve seen positive things about it, and tabbytom tabbytom switched January to it and is really pleased with it. Here’s his thread about it:
A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure if the edges are sharp or not but this seems to have good reviews:
Amazon.com

Also, have you looked into Pretty Litter? I've heard it's fairly dust free, finding a clumping litter that is 100% dust free seems to be impossible. :(
I just googled pretty litter. It says it has silica. I’ve read in the past this is bad for cats with long hair. I do have one long hair who often gets litter stuck. I’ve recently started shaving her back end but they don’t always get the shave right. I’m not sure if there is truth to ingesting the silica being an issue? I’m not sure from reading but is that litter suppose to be a maintenance litter for checking your cats health? It’s pretty pricey for such a small amount!

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Okocat, too. It clumps well and isn't dusty. It does track quite a bit, but then, don't they all! The Super Soft that Astragal14 Astragal14 mentions is very fine. They have one that's a bit coarser as well as two kinds of pellets. I haven't used any of those.

I'm currently using clumping grass litter which I really like. No dust to speak of, clumps quite well, and controls the smell. I buy Abound from our local Kroger affiliate. There's also SmartCat which is good litter but more expensive.

A note about the Okocat and the grass litter: As I said, they all track, particularly if you have long-haired kitties. These litters are extremely lightweight, and my cats freaked out when I first put it down for them because they started to sink. They wouldn't use it. So I incorporated a couple of cups at a time into the clumping clay and mixed well. By the time it was 100% grass litter, they were fine with it. I did have to stop using the Okocat because, oddly, it seemed to attract ants. I don't have that problem with the grass.
Which Okocat did you use?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our litters is Okocat Super Soft unscented wood litter (it's not pellets but they do offer pellets). This litter is so light and flaky that it falls off my cats right away, there is a lot of tracking in our bathroom around the litter box but almost none of it outside of the bathroom. It's also flushable but I find I can only flush one clump at a time. And one of my cats LOVES this litter!
https://www.chewy.com/okocat-super-soft-clumping-wood/dp/117423

Another litter we use is World's Best corn based litter. We use the multiple cat version and have tried their low tracking & dust control. It's considered low tracking because the pieces of litter are much larger than regular litter, and the large pieces don't get stuck in their paws and hair as much, and any that does get stuck usually falls off soon because it's a little heavier than regular litter. I ended up not liking it for two reasons: one, it didn't seem to track any less than their regular litter (which is already low tracking) and two, it was annoying to scoop and I had to buy a new scooper to accommodate the larger pieces.
https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-low-tracking-dust-control/dp/393319

This is the multiple cat version we use, I really like it: https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-multi-cat-unscented/dp/30237
I think I’m going to try the that type of oki. Did it scoop okay with your regular scooper?
On the worlds best once I clicked the link, the logo looks so familiar! I think I might have tried one of these many years ago. Does it have a pretty strong scent?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SoPhresh grass seed litter is fragrance and dust free. In my situation, I'm adding it to a clay litter because I like the extra clumping "action" from the clay, and it seems to cut the dust, for me and for him, pretty well.
I’m going to try a seed litter as well. I see chewys has smart cat. I don’t see sophresh.
if it just says grass in the description.. this is the same as seed I assume?
same scooper works?

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I would be cautious about using grass litter if your cat is allergic to grasses. You might look into tofu litter. I’ve seen positive things about it, and tabbytom tabbytom switched January to it and is really pleased with it. Here’s his thread about it:
A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy
I remember this transition now after seeing pics !! It was happening while I was trying to transition to the oki.
It’s unfortunate that chewys only has several options for tofu and they do not have good reviews.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just googled pretty litter. It says it has silica. I’ve read in the past this is bad for cats with long hair. I do have one long hair who often gets litter stuck. I’ve recently started shaving her back end but they don’t always get the shave right. I’m not sure if there is truth to ingesting the silica being an issue? I’m not sure from reading but is that litter suppose to be a maintenance litter for checking your cats health? It’s pretty pricey for such a small amount!
Oh, I didn't know that!! I'm not sure about the silica. I've never used it but I've heard people say it's good, but who knows for long haired cats!

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I’m going to try the that type of oki. Did it scoop okay with your regular scooper?
On the worlds best once I clicked the link, the logo looks so familiar! I think I might have tried one of these many years ago. Does it have a pretty strong scent?
Yes, I use my regular scooper. It doesn't have a detectable scent and one of my cats loved it from the moment I filled the box! We have different boxes with different litter. The wood is definitely my one cat's favorite litter, my other cat likes it but he doesn't seem to have any preference.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When you used smart cat, how long did it last you? I’m ordering now and you are right about the price! It’s $30! It doesn’t give any info as far as expectations on life span of litter.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
When you used smart cat, how long did it last you? I’m ordering now and you are right about the price! It’s $30! It doesn’t give any info as far as expectations on life span of litter.
Furballsmom Furballsmom is right: It’s hard to predict! It depends on how many cats you have, how often they pee, and how much. When I had three cats, two of which were older, I could go through it pretty quickly as they peed gallons because of compromised kidneys. And they had the occasional UTI. Now I have a 19-year-old who pees huge clumps three times a day and a nine-year-old who pees a couple of small clumps, but it lasts fairly well. And it clumps well and has very good odor control.

If you live near a Kroger-owned store, you might check out the Abound.