dry cat food

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two days ago I started giving Andy dry cat food, heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s been eating chicken, but heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s tired. So I decided to give cat food another try. He likes Science Diet. I want to know if I have to throw away what he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eat and put new everyday. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m talking about dry food. I also want to know if Science Diet a good brand.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food will air spoil. You should not put a lot out and free feed.

As to what food is "best" it depends on who you ask.
The best thing to do is find one food your cat likes and if he thrives on it, keep him on it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Dry food will air spoil. You should not put a lot out and free feed.

As to what food is "best" it depends on who you ask.
The best thing to do is find one food your cat likes and if he thrives on it, keep him on it.

I may not like SD but if your kitty does well on it leave it alone ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like for how long can I leave some in the plate?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have left it for 24 hours ... though I dont recommend dry be out for more than 12

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Hissy and Sharky for your help.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Andy won't eat the dry food after awhile, try giving him fresh. Twitch "requires" new food every 2 hours. I have gotten used to this & can easily accomdate her when I am home. If I am not home, she will have to eat the old stuff. I always make sure someone changes the food for sure every 6 hours, but that is just me. I can be quite picky about some things.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you White Cat Lover for your comment.

So Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m thinking of giving new food in the morning 8 am and then at 5 pm. He goes to bed at 11 pm with no food just water in his room. Is this a good thing to do?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I change food whenever I can. There isn't usually a set time for new food, & I don't think my kitties notice when I am 15 minutes late changing their food.
Those times sound good to me. Although, with some cats(like Twitch) if they eat right before they go to bed, within maybe an hour or two, they sleep better. If Andy eats the best right after you put the food down, you might want to make that mealtime later so he sleeps better. I would try those times & adjust them as necessary.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put out enough dry food for about 12 hours. I would start by putting out about 1/2-1 cup a day. That should be gone in 24 hours, maybe a little more. I wouldn't leave it out for longer than 48 hours, less time than that is better.

As for the food, Science Diet is okay but definitely not good enough to be worth the cost, IMO. If you only have access to PETsMART or Petco, Royal Canin or Nutro would be good foods to use instead. Even better are foods you can get at pet specialty stores, such as Chicken Soup, Felidae, Pet Guard, Innova, California Natural, Solid Gold, etc. Read the ingredients on any food you choose. Look for one that has no meat by-products as a priority. Corn gluten is another "bad" ingredient. Science Diet uses it as a protein source because it is cheaper than meat.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for the comments.
Semiferal, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know anything about cat food products and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m getting sorry about this. He doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like Royal Canin and Eukanuba. Sience Diet Natureâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Best is my third try and he likes it. If you say itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not a good product then I would have to change it, and see if he likes something else. So PETsMART and Petco donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sale the products you mentioned? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll ask the vet if she has any of the ones you mentioned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Picky taste wise I would try Nutro hairball max it comes in three flavors and has no wheat .... Chicken soup is a bit grain heavy but is good also for picky eaters ... Innova is very tasty but can be pricey

do you have access to a feed store??

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you guys just dump out whatever food is left in the bowl after a certain amout of time?

Also, dry food will keep indefinitely in an airtight container, right? I buy the big bags and put them into a big plastic contianer I bought at Petsmart.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Picky taste wise I would try Nutro hairball max it comes in three flavors and has no wheat .... Chicken soup is a bit grain heavy but is good also for picky eaters ... Innova is very tasty but can be pricey

do you have access to a feed store??
my girls like the chicken soup dry, but i have to get it at a feed store - can't find it at pet stores. you can find it online, too. they also liked the natural balance dry pretty well. & they like it to be fresh - i put out fresh in the morning & top it off at night. Pixel, my main dry food eater, always east a little whenever i put out new dry.

blue_copper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know where is a feed store. How can I look it up? Just “feed storeâ€

Thanks everyone, each comment helps.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A "feed " store often sells horse cow sheep and chn feed , many carry both chn soup and nutro at very reasonable prices..

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a feeding problem because I had a kitten and a momma and they both ate the same food. Baby had *horrible* gas. Somenone suggested Life's Abundance. It has been the best purcahse I have made to date. They both love it, no gas and its not really all that expensive. It seems to have all the good stuff and none of the bad. Anyone else use it?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
speaking of intestinal problems...i picked up some higher quality canned food to try on my babies... Pixel - so far, not interested [of course!] Cable & Java thought it was wonderful, as always. it was natural balance - & last night, after having it for a 2nd time, Cable got the runs again.
every time i try to upgrade their wet, she has this reaction. maybe i should just stick w/the friskies...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

speaking of intestinal problems...i picked up some higher quality canned food to try on my babies... Pixel - so far, not interested [of course!] Cable & Java thought it was wonderful, as always. it was natural balance - & last night, after having it for a 2nd time, Cable got the runs again.
every time i try to upgrade their wet, she has this reaction. maybe i should just stick w/the friskies...
Cna you get Pro pac or sensible choice where you are ... or evangers all of these are simple formulas not as rich but still good...