Dry and canned food grain and potato free that will help my cat gain weight

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a super active 2 year old cat and need to find a good grain and potato free food that will help him gain weight

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you looking for canned or kibble?  I'm guessing canned, but can't be 100% sure.  Does he like pate, or shredded, or what?  The sky is the limit when it comes to food, as I'm sure you know, but any food is only as the cat who eats it...meaning if your cat will not eat it, it's pointless to get it.  So...what does your cat like?  chicken, Beef, Lamb, Fish, etc? 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a super active 2 year old cat and need to find a good grain and potato free food that will help him gain weight
Does the vet say that your cat needs to gain weight and how many pounds your cat shoud ideally weigh?

Some cats are naturally thin  and are on the lower end of their ideal weight gain. It's just how they are. Active cats tend to be thin since they're burning up extra fat and calories through excercise and play. My active Aby is skinny and weighs 10 pounds and the vet says he's in perfect health and condition.

Anyways, in general you want to increase calories for weight gain. It's usually recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight per day. So a typical 10 pound cat may need 200 to 250 calories per day. A super active cat may need more like 30 calories per pound of ideal body weight.

A good brand to try is Nature's Variety Instinct. There are a couple of different lines within that brand you can try.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Purina Kitten Chow.  It is meant to nourish the growing little ones, high in calories and protein, and I have never found a cat who would not gobble it down.

If you Google High Calorie Cat Food, there are lists of foods with their calorie count.

I wish I had your problem!  All mine  tend to overweight.

smittendakittn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a proud foster dad a male and female 8 months old now names lightening and stormy adorabable the female stormy is eating a lot and eating lightings food as well ,guess you can say she is the big bully sister lol I now seperate them when they eat and he is doing alot better he is getting the weight gonna be a sad day when I need to take them back but our other three will be having a party of their own. sniff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never tried canned so probably canned and dry and I can't afford Natures Variety Instinct but my cat is a purebred 7 pound Russian Blue and he's really active and he started off at 9 pounds when I adopted him last month he's burning alot of calories and I need a good food has anyone tried Authority Grain Free I can afford $30 a month on both canned and dry

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you looking for canned or kibble?  I'm guessing canned, but can't be 100% sure.  Does he like pate, or shredded, or what?  The sky is the limit when it comes to food, as I'm sure you know, but any food is only as the cat who eats it...meaning if your cat will not eat it, it's pointless to get it.  So...what does your cat like?  chicken, Beef, Lamb, Fish, etc? 
I'm looking for both canned and Kibble with a $30-$35 budget for cat food do you know if Authority Grain free is good or Simply Nourish

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the vet say that your cat needs to gain weight and how many pounds your cat shoud ideally weigh? the vet said hes so active that he needs a higher calorie intake because he lost two pounds in less then a month

Some cats are naturally thin  and are on the lower end of their ideal weight gain. It's just how they are. Active cats tend to be thin since they're burning up extra fat and calories through excercise and play. My active Aby is skinny and weighs 10 pounds and the vet says he's in perfect health and condition.

Anyways, in general you want to increase calories for weight gain. It's usually recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight per day. So a typical 10 pound cat may need 200 to 250 calories per day. A super active cat may need more like 30 calories per pound of ideal body weight.

A good brand to try is Nature's Variety Instinct. There are a couple of different lines within that brand you can try.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for both canned and Kibble with a $30-$35 budget for cat food do you know if Authority Grain free is good or Simply Nourish
Authority & Simply Nourish are both very good .  They both come in grain free dry &  canned ..

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Authority & Simply Nourish are both very good .  They both come in grain free dry &  canned ..
OK authority is more in my budget so which grain free flavor would you recommend

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK authority is more in my budget so which grain free flavor would you recommend
As I mentioned earlier,  the best food is the one your cat will eat
.  Does he like one better than another?  If so, that's the one you should get.   BUT, I would advise to get more than one brand/flavor, as sometimes there are recalls, etc, so it's good not to be stuck with having all one type of food, just in case.

Additionally, even Fancy Feast CLASSICS canned food are not a bad food, if you are really on a budget.  They are very low carb, completely grain free, and even carrageenan free, which is important to some people.  You could have those in your arsenal of cans too.   Sheba PATE's also.  And those are pretty high in calories. 

Do you know what he was eating  before he came to you? Is his appetite good?   Just wondering why he has lost 2 lbs in a month!  That's a whole lot
.  Has he had a check-up to make sure nothing is going on health wise? 

Just be aware that calories in cans of food can vary vastly, even among the same brands.  I think Simply Nourish has 3 lines of canned foods.  The "stew" only has about 45 calories per can, and their "Source" has over 100 for the same size can!  I think they are getting rid of their "meatloaf" line. 

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned earlier,  the best food is the one your cat will eat :D .  Does he like one better than another?  If so, that's the one you should get.   BUT, I would advise to get more than one brand/flavor, as sometimes there are recalls, etc, so it's good not to be stuck with having all one type of food, just in case.

Additionally, even Fancy Feast CLASSICS canned food are not a bad food, if you are really on a budget.  They are very low carb, completely grain free, and even carrageenan free, which is important to some people.  You could have those in your arsenal of cans too.   Sheba PATE's also.  And those are pretty high in calories. 

Do you know what he was eating  before he came to you? Is his appetite good?   Just wondering why he has lost 2 lbs in a month!  That's a whole lot :paranoid: .  Has he had a check-up to make sure nothing is going on health wise? 

Just be aware that calories in cans of food can vary vastly, even among the same brands.  I think Simply Nourish has 3 lines of canned foods.  The "stew" only has about 45 calories per can, and their "Source" has over 100 for the same size can!  I think they are getting rid of their "meatloaf" line. 
he's just super active and eats a bowl of Purina One aday and he's always hungry he's out of his 7 pound bag of food and I can't get more til Friday

mary21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He sees the vet tomorrow for a check up

he's just super active and eats a bowl of Purina One aday and he's always hungry he's out of his 7 pound bag of food and I can't get more til Friday
he's not a picky eater they have salmon or Chicken Flavor for the Authority Grain Free

ashleylucas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the best brands of wet food is Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken, none of that stuff you listed plus carageen and guar gum free.. Also if you feed dry food but its best not to, a good brand is Orijen.. Excellent ingredients as far as dry food goes and no grain or potato.. Personally I feed raw.. With the guidence and proper steps per my holistic veterinarian.. You should do your research well if you decide to feed raw. Anyways, Hope this helps :) and generally rule of thumb is about 20calories per pound of body weight.  if active, more is best. id talk to your veterinarian to figure out his weight and calories needed