Dreaded Talk: It Might Be Time To Put Him Down And I'm Dying Inside

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@m3rma1d I have another cat left though she is getting older too, she's 13. And good idea about volunteering. I donate to ASPCA but should take it a step further. And interesting about the urn, I was going to scatter his ashes in the park but now I'm going to rethink that.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

When my Frankie passed I had him cremated. I keep his box of ashes in the back of my closet..where he used to like to hide...to keep him close to me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

The past couple of days have been hell and I am torturing myself with what i could have done. I really regret not having him hospitalized. We did take him to the hospital but they said since his levels were high and he had heart disease, they didn't think admitting him for a couple of days and doing iV fluids would help much. I wish I had insisted. I just so wished I had waited a day or 2 to see if he got better or tried our luck with the hospitalization. The other thing that gets me is, the last day, he had regained use of his legs (but still was struggling and many times seemed like he wanted to get up and couldn't) and regained his sight.

I know i would be here sooner or later but I just want to make sense of it all. I want to know I did as much as I could. I would have done anything for him.

On the bright side, I got to see him one last time. The crematory offered viewings and I went to see him, pet his batman ears one last time and collect his ashes. And today, I think I may have gotten a little hope. It's killing me not knowing where he is. I asked for a sign. Today while running an errand, I saw a white feather on the sidewalk. (Im not sure how common it is to see a white feather in NYC?) And soon after, the sky got really dark, there was a really large black cloud looming over but a large patch of light shone through. People on the street were commenting on it because it looked so unusual. I just hope this means my baby is happy in heaven.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so overwhelmed by your grief- as I too know it, like so many on this site. Please don't second guess what you did for him. It's what you instinctively thought was right. And, that's all any of us can do. He was 17, and that is a good long life. They can't live forever. But, with your care he got to a really old age. I have lost cats at 12 and 15, and my Feeby now at 14+ - it is my goal to by far beat those numbers. I envy you getfing to spend 17 years with yours. You can't change what is done, but you can be proud that you gave him 17 wonderful years. I wish I could take away your anguish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am so overwhelmed by your grief- as I too know it, like so many on this site. Please don't second guess what you did for him. It's what you instinctively thought was right. And, that's all any of us can do. He was 17, and that is a good long life. They can't live forever. But, with your care he got to a really old age. I have lost cats at 12 and 15, and my Feeby now at 14+ - it is my goal to by far beat those numbers. I envy you getfing to spend 17 years with yours. You can't change what is done, but you can be proud that you gave him 17 wonderful years. I wish I could take away your anguish.
Thanks so much for your kind words. I don't know what I would do without this forum.