Dragging Clothes Into The Litter Box

Hankidan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, just have a quick question, I have two cats, brother and sister a little over a year old. Their names are Bandit and Misfit. Just domestic shorthairs, nothing special. I got them both from the humane society about a 10-11 months ago. They both came fixed, and don't have any other health concerns that I'm aware of.

One of them, or both, not sure, has been dragging my clothes into their litter box.

I use the tidy cats breeze system, which doesn't have a lid at all, so I built a 3 sided box with a lid on it to try and help discourage this behavior. And it seemed like it has for the most part, however from time to time I still notice it.

Today I pulled out a pair of basketball shorts and a tie that were in there and I'm now trying to save via the washing machine (thank God for sanitary mode).

I try to scoop every day or at most every other, nut sometimes on the weekends I don't get to because I go to see my GF out of town. I have a drinkwell fountian that I keep full for them as well as a multi serving food container so they're ok while I'm gone just can't scoop the box.

Anyone have any ideas why they might be doing this and what I can do to fix it? It's just midly annoying at this point, and I'd like it to stop.

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe it's the male "marking" his scent on you...or rather things that smell like you. Even when males are neutered they can still show dominance. That's my best guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hankidan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. Bandit (the male) is typically the more snuggly one (will jump up on my lap and beg to be pet if I'm watching TV etc.) With his sister being slightly more aloof usually.

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even the most cuddly and loving cats will still try to dominate. It isn't necessarily mean they are doing it to be hateful. Its just natural. Also, one of them could possibly just think it's a game. I had a cat that used to steal my hair ties and socks and put them in his box/the toilet. He even stole one of my little sisters barbies and buried it in his box lol

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doesn't necessarily mean* grammar...sheesh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hankidan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At first I thought maybe it was on accident since they would try and dig in front of the box to bury their stuff. But with the cover I put around it I feel like it has to be on purpose. Just the why is beyond me.