Draco's Nano Reef Journal

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tank is looking great :D. At the rate you are going you will have to set up another tank or at least get a frag tank going. I always loved the look of zoas, some beautiful color variations out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ha! At least we don't see the worm itself!

Took some photos with my phone today. Can you tell I am obsessed with taking photos??

Did some minor rearranging of the corals (separated and moved the green mushrooms mostly)

Side of the tank view. Can you see the clown peeking out??

and a pic of the purple mushroom with blue flecks

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the worm inside the tube?  Or is he there somewhere in the picture and I don't know what he looks like?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
yea, it's in the tube. All you really see is the tube and the feathery crown :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty soon you will need a bigger tank.  I seen a video on youtube someone had taken of his tank.  He had done the same thing as you with a lot of rock and corals.  Almost everything including his fish were shades of blue and green, it was really pretty.  My ex was more into the fish but I think all the rock and corals are pretty.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks really good!  Feather dusters are so creepy, I almost broke my tank the first time I got one and rearranged it, decided to suddenly suck back in the tube and scared the crap out of me so I yanked my hand backwards lol.  My mom used to get the biggest kick out of coming over and making me scare it into the tube.  This was way back and my tank was too young to support it, kept throwing it's crown and regrowing smaller and eventually died.  Been really thinking about trying again though, they are incredibly cool to look at. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Once I move out to a more permie home, I am planning on getting a bigger tank! Thanks for the compliments!

I picked up a Frogspawn and a new hard coral today.. forgot what its called. oi.. The frogspawn mainly for my clowns to host in, if the accept it!

I got a good look at the zoanthids I bought weeks ago.. they're really spreading. yay :)

The Frogspawn:

My Zoanthids and clowns. The Zoas are spreading to the rocks below

Bad photo of my other coral. It's not fully opened.. will have to take a better pic later

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marine life is so extraordinary! Thanks for sharing your tank, the pictures are amazing. I can't believe you've got all that going on in 10gl, yet it doesn't looked overcrowded. Those zoanthids are my faves, I love all the colour combinations!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thank you. I saw a really bright neon-yellow zoanthid at the store yesterday.. I was so close to buying it because of its color, but I have so many zoanthids and I want a variety

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like your new coral! Kind of looks like a purple Christmas tree.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cute but somewhat scary story.  When my friend was married to her first husband, they had aquariums.  When they first started their big tank, the man at the pet store warned them about a rock breaking shrimp.  It wasn't something they bought; it could just come in with the plants or whatever.  Anyway, this shrimp could become so riled up that it could actually break the glass of the tank.  My friend said she stayed awake all night, listening, just knowing they had unwittingly picked up a rock breaking shrimp and he was going to bust their tank open.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
A pistol shrimp most likely. It's very rare they can break glass or large rocks. They have a strong pincher that snaps and shoots a blast of water at their prey. The snaps can be heard easily from another room I hear! I also read they only snap when scared or once a night

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of people being awakened from a sound sleep by a pistol shrimp even though they aren't sleeping in the same room as the aquarium.  I don't know if I would want one of those.  It kind of destroys the whole peaceful tranquil thing about an aquarium.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pistol shrimp? I'm going to have nightmares now! :lol3:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, I've been on a hunt for a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp.. (There's different kinds… Tiger is more aggressive, Candy Cane is more peaceful). They also stun fish with their water blasting claws, and I hear they can hurt a human if not careful

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a mantis shrimp, they say they can break glass but I have yet to hear of anyone actually having that happen.  They can be pretty vicious killers of fish and inverts and rather destructive though.  Most live rock you see sold is pretty poor quality and you aren't likely to find anything that fun on it anyways.  Pistol shrimp snap too but are more reef friendly. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
You might be right about the Mantis Shrimp. I don't know much about them,except that they are certainly not reef safe and hard to care for. I also know I do not want one! I found a video of one breaking open a clam. Poor clam!