Dr Elsey's clean protein chicken-dry

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats loved Dr Elsey's clean protein chicken before I purchased this last bag. It's lighter in color and they nibble on it at best. Apparently something has changed. Not sure if they changed the formula or had to substitute an ingredient due to supply issues. However, my 2 cats have turned their noses up to it

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Did you buy it through Chewy? If so, you might contact them and ask if others have reported your same experience. It’s not unusual for cats to change their minds about a food, of course, but the fact that you can see a difference in the color of the kibble is noteworthy. They might send you a replacement bag.

Fwiw, I bought some a month ago, and it seems fine.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you buy it through Chewy? If so, you might contact them and ask if others have reported your same experience. It’s not unusual for cats to change their minds about a food, of course, but the fact that you can see a difference in the color of the kibble is noteworthy. They might send you a replacement bag.

Fwiw, I bought some a month ago, and it seems fine.
I agree. Contact Chewy if you got it from them. I get mine from Amazon subscribe and save. I got a bag last month and it looks the same. The girls are eating it as usual.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love this too when I can afford it They have come out with several new flavers both kibble and wet If you email their site they will send you samples It’s great! But I read a little while back that they were changing suppliers. You could ask in an email if that is true and if the formulation had changed They need to know if cats and people are unhappy Please post if you find out more it’s such a good food!

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Following -- I really need to know if something is changing -- I would hate to spend $40+ on food my cats wouldn't eat (yikes!) I have lured them ALL over to Weruva wet now (and so I am also buying lottery tickets), so we use the kibbles like you might used chips, but I keep it on hand anyway & it would suck to be stuck with a crummy batch!

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just finished up my last bag and opened up a new one that was delivered mid November. Same issue: lighter color, slightly smaller kibbles, different smell. Expiration date is Feb 2023. Cats are turning up their nose to it, and it’s made one of my kitties vomit 3 times since opening last night (he’s sensitive haha).

I contacted Chewy and they sent me a label for a return and refund. If you go to the item page and sort reviews by newest, you’ll see a lot of other people are also experiencing this.

I went to Dr. Elsey’s website and in the FAQ they address it directly (guessing they’ve been getting a lot of messages about it). It says that the formula hasn’t changed, but due to supply chain issues, some sort of process is different which results in a different color and size kibble. I’m not entirely convinced SOMETHING isn’t different. If it was just color and size, there wouldn’t be so many issues, right?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the ingredient list now include chickpeas? Their non-chicken kibble had it from the start, presumably to keep costs of expensive proteins down.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the ingredient list now include chickpeas? Their non-chicken kibble had it from the start, presumably to keep costs of expensive proteins down.
It's definitely worth asking about the chickpeas... I did write to them earlier this year (when they started selling the non-chicken foods that contain chickpeas) and they did assure me they wouldn't be adding chickpeas but, well, sometimes things change. I hope not! Our pickier cat will eat just about anything with a few crushed pieces of this stuff on her food.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got a 2 pound bag of DE chicken on Saturday. I checked the label. Chickpeas are not on the ingredients list.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted about this last month as I experienced it as well. I contacted customer service at Dr E and they assured me no recipe changes, just supply difference due to how they make the kibble. They did offer to send me replacement food from another batch which looked like the older food. It's worth a try!

I noticed many recent reviews for the food on Chewy and Amazon state the same issue. My cat started having some stool issues after eating from the off batch. I wish you guys luck, and if you need an alternative low carb high protein kibble I suggest Epigen 90.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The non chicken kibble recipes always had them, presumably to keep costs down.
I so-so-so wish they hadn't done this! I'd love to switch these up since the chicken Dr. E's makes such a good treat, topper, and small nighttime snack.

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah . . . I guess I will continue to try to find the Chicken & hoard it (??) I'm kidding, but . . . only a little bit. I am feeding Weruva wet almost exclusively (for three of them, and I am trying to keep up with the VOLUME of food and the expense, honestly), but the LOVE the kibble. We call it "chips" to remind me they shouldn't be eating it any more often than people should eat chips. And I think the kibble isn't really that much cheaper.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah . . . I guess I will continue to try to find the Chicken & hoard it (??) I'm kidding, but . . . only a little bit. I am feeding Weruva wet almost exclusively (for three of them, and I am trying to keep up with the VOLUME of food and the expense, honestly), but the LOVE the kibble. We call it "chips" to remind me they shouldn't be eating it any more often than people should eat chips. And I think the kibble isn't really that much cheaper.
Amazon has the 2 pound bags in stock. They don't last long. I'm going to get one before they run out. I bought a bag of the DE turkey. They seem to like it. I mixed some in with the chicken.

WTH? I just ordered one and it says delivery January 14th. 😑