Doughnut Day a few days late

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The doughnuts are done. I finished them in the afternoon. It's not the doughnuts so much as it is making all the other stuff: the whipped peanut filling, the chocolate ganache, the vanilla glaze. I had the beignet batter and the jelly doughnut batter made and in the fridge, so it was just a matter of rolling them out, getting the oil to temp and then frying them. Easy. The blasted French cruller dough made me spastic; piping them was not pretty. Rick wanted to do them and they were a PITB.

Tried a new KA recipe for the beignets and they were good. Tried a different recipe for the filled doughnuts and was not impressed. These are filled with whipped peanut butter filling, and thrown into the chocolate ganache, then sprinkled with a few chopped peanuts. (I wanted to just fill them with seedless raspberry jam and then sprinkle with powdered sugar. Rick wanted the peanut butter filling with the chocolate.) No pictures of the crullers, yeah, they were that bad. My doughnuts never look the best, but they always taste good.
Doughnuts2023.jpg

And I think that Evelyn's electric saucepan has finally bitten the dust after these so many years. It took forever to get the oil up to temp and then to get back up to temp when putting fresh dough in. And it showed in the finished doughnut. They're quite heavier than what I'd like and I think it's because of the oil. Dear Richard starting looking at new deep fryers and I think it's a toss-up between Breville and Cuisinart. (Believe me, if I thought I could do doughnuts in the Ninja, I'd try it!) When we get the new fryer, I'll try Kevin Belton's recipe for beignets and see what they're like. And I'm going to try French crullers again; they got the best of Rick and me yesterday, but I think I can do a better job. Stay tuned!