DOMESTIC LONG HAIRED OR NOT

welshviking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oscar has been to the vet twice for his injections, we asked 2 different vets what breed was he. The 1st vet was a bit stumped as he is quite a big cat and very long in length and also has a short tail. The 2nd vet said he was a domestic long haired. What are your thoughts folks....Cheers Colin

View media item 388097

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
welshviking welshviking

I would say domestic long hair.

The bobtail is likely caused by inbreeding (but don't worry, cats can handle a fair amount of inbreeding before the complications become severe so it's unlikely that he has any other problems besides the short tail) rather than being related to a breed that is known for having short "bobtails" (like the Manx). This short tail fairly common among cat colonies which are allowed to breed freely.

Regardless, he is adorable and unique!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He is handsome!

Most of my cats are from the same colony and were allowed to breed unchecked until I came along and TNR'd them. A lot of them have bob-tails or long tails with kinks in them. Like @Raina21  said, it's not uncommon and doesn't seem to cause any problems.

I'm in Japan and long haired bob-tails are quite common here.

Here are a few of my long haired boys.

and a few of my bob-tails.

Maybe your boy has a bit of Japanese bob-tail in him? My male cats are all quite big and have the same big paws and stocky legs as Oscar. Or maybe he's just a lucky mix. He's gorgeous anyway.