• not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bellebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, so i adopted a kitten 3 months ago and i thought she was a dollface persian until i saw pics of "longhair british" that looked exactly like my cat, and now im confused? i've been searching all day about how to differentiate them but i get more confused the more i read about it...?
so i signed up here in hope of finding an answer

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beautiful domestic longhair tabby. She is absolutely gorgeous. Don't overthink the breed. The majority of cats in the world are of no particular breed ancestry. They are just domestic short or long hair. Unless they come from a breeder with papers.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get your kitten from a breeder? Are the breeder's cats registered as Persians?

Without papers, your kitten would be described as a brown mackerel tabby domestic longhair. She does have a shorter and broader face than most cats. We could guess from looking at her that she probably has some ancestry from a short faced breed such as "doll-faced" Persian, British SH/LH, or Scottish Fold SH/LH, but we can't tell from looking at your cat which of these breeds may be in your cat's family tree. Even a DNA test may not be able to accurately distinguish between these breeds, as they are closely related (British SH and Persian cats were crossed frequently during the early development of those two breeds, and British SH have been used extensively in the development of the Scottish Fold).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Goodness! My heart! She is such cuteness overload!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree, see her as a longhaired domestic.

All that said, while dollfaced persians are fairly common, also a favorite among BYB breeders, the other breeds mentioned arent common at all.

So for example, longhaired british were a rarity into a few years ago, even if they become more common now...

So if you are anxious to put a fancy label on your beautiful girl, the statistics are for doll persian ancestry out of the mentioned breeds.
That heavy, she even MAY have some such ancestry.... :)

krisfan777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, so i adopted a kitten 3 months ago and i thought she was a dollface persian until i saw pics of "longhair british" that looked exactly like my cat, and now im confused? i've been searching all day about how to differentiate them but i get more confused the more i read about it...?

I adopted a Persian doll face and she is from middle east country shipped to USA for adoption. On her paper certified by veterinarian she is a doll face persian. And your cat here looks a lot like my cat. Does your cat have a very flat face? Doll face persian they have a short(top to bottom) face. Their face look wide before their face is short. Their face with their long soft hair look more like a america football shape. Also their side profile of the face , their faces are more flat compare to regular long hair cats who have more pointy faces. That is why my persian can not use a bowl to eat her food cause her face is kind of flat and not pointy. She has to eat from a plate. Also my persian has cotton soft fur, look just like your cat here. Her fur is a lot softer than reguler long hair cats. They look like cotton soft. So I have to say your cat is not a long hair american cat. It is more like doll face persian.

krisfan777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also doll face persians have shorter legs. My cat have short legs compare to long hair cats.

Attachments

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to comment because she's lovely! No expert but I agree with all the others. I *think* she definitely has Chinchilla Persian ancestry (her colour looks like golden tabby to me, round eyes, ear tufts) or ancestry from another breed where Persian outcrosses are used, like the British Longhair. So, either way, she has Persian in her somewhere. You just won't ever know for sure how much. Personally, I'd just refer to her as "Persian-type" - that's what I do with my two. :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your beautiful kitten is a domestic longhair. She does appear to possibly have Persian in her background.
I *think* she definitely has Chinchilla Persian ancestry
Chinchilla is not a breed, it is a color in the silver and golden Persian class. You are correct though that the kitten could possibly be from a silver and golden somewhere along the line since she seems to have green eyes.
Also doll face persians have shorter legs. My cat have short legs compare to long hair cats.
The breed standard calls for short. thick legs so it isn't just the non show (doll face is the popular term) that have short legs. However the cat must be balanced and rounded. The legs must be proportion with the body.