Dog Possessive Over New Kitten

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 5 dogs, 1 adult cat and a 16 week old kitten I got a couple weeks ago. Everyone gets along great, except I noticed yesterday one of my dogs is possessive over the kitten. He was standing next to the kitten and two of the other dogs casually walked up to say hi, and he growled, barked, and lunges at them as a warning to stay away from the kitten. Wondering what I can do to stop this behavior. Any ideas? Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
How is the kitten reacting? Based on that, maybe separate the kitten from everyone for a bit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitten doesn’t seemed fazed by it and just continues to lay down and do his own thing.

The dog is a 42 pound boxer/Pitt/basset mix. He really likes the kitten. As of now I just keep the possesive dog in his pen while the kitten is out in the living room with the the other dogs.

I’m having an issue with this dog being increasingly aggressive with one of my other dogs, who wasn’t even in the house at the time. ( already had a trainer come and starting training session in July) I’ll let the trainer know about this too, just trying to find a solution until then.i don’t need anymore drama in the house with the dogs lol. One of my boys is even going to boot camp for four weeks cause he is driving me nuts.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he being possessive or protective? I think I would take a video of it and ask dog experts.

Until then, maybe separate the dogs for a few weeks or months? Leaving the dog protector with the kitten, I mean.5 provided the dog is not being aggressive to the kitten in any way and is ‘mothering’ the kitten I would let it play out. (Many mama dogs have adopted kittens and some mama cats have adopted a puppy or two..... plus adopting chicks or ducks.) So inter-species adoptions do happen.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any ideas?
When the dog starts to show protective instincts over the kitten try making him sit and offer a treat as a reward. Perhaps you can also try switching the dogs out so that everyone gets a turn to socialize with the kitty.

I’m having an issue with this dog being increasingly aggressive with one of my other dogs, who wasn’t even in the house at the time. ( already had a trainer come and starting training session in July)
Glad you'll be seeing a trainer with the dog. That's a good start. :thumbsup: You may want to ask the trainer their opinion about the chemistry between the dogs too.

i don’t need anymore drama in the house with the dogs lol. One of my boys is even going to boot camp for four weeks cause he is driving me nuts.
Is the dog that's going to boot camp a different dog than the one who is protective of the kitten? Sounds like maybe you need to visit Cesar Millan's Dog Psychology Center. ;)

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your dog thinks this new kitten is a toy? Or probably he suddenly felt he need to protect from others, this kitty being too small?

I hope this changes when the kitten grows. For now, it is a good idea that you decided to get a trainer or an animal behaviorist.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some dogs feel very maternal toward kittens. Is one of the other dogs, perhaps the one this dog doesn't like, being aggressive toward the kitten? At this point, bared teeth and lifted neck fur could be warning enough to set your protective dog on alert.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No this dog is just being a jerk lol. He did this to the two dogs that he is best friends with. The dog he has been attacking wasn’t even in the house at the time.

The dog that he attacked went to training for four weeks. So I have Joey out with the rest of the pack now and the cats, everyone seems fine now but I’m keeping an eye on everyone. Our first training session is on the 10th with Joey.

I think Joey is just spoiled and thinks everything is his and even though he shares toys and bones no problems, high reward things to him like new kittens and people, make him start warning the others to stay away cause he wants the attention and focus. That’s my theory, I’ll see what the trainer suggests.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was one of the lovely things about my pittie. my first dog and I taught her to share dog cookies with her friends when they came over to play. That meant not taking someone's cookie even if he left it on the ground for 5 minutes (after that you could assume he didn't want it.) This was without me standing over her or even looking at her.

People said they saw it but it was impossible, you can't teach a dog to share. She taught the border collie/chow and he was fine with it. They taught the treeing cur who wasn't happy but did it, cause the big dogs did. Some of their friends had problems with it and had to be nudged to remember.

She instantly became the super mom protector of the cats, so I thought maybe your guy did to, but he sounds more like a guy being a guy. :D

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He actually seems to be doing better with the other dogs around the kitten, might be because my big puppy went to training boot camp or the novelty of the new kitten wore off lol. Still keeping an eye on everyone. Luckily they all really love each other. 4 dogs and 2 cats living in harmony for the time being ❤

I did have a litter of kittens once a long time ago, they were born at my house and one of my dogs at the time let them nurse on her. She would have seven kittens sucking on her ears, face and body. It was the cutest thing I ever saw.