Does Your Cat Pinches You...?

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is more curiosity than it is a real behavioral problem I think. I've never encountered a kitty that did this before and was wondering what it could mean. This usually happens more when I'm laid down on my bed, if my kitty finds exposed skin (arms, legs, belly), he'll gently lick the skin and then, using just his tiny front teeth, he pinches it. It hurts but it does't break the skin or anything, only leaving the skin a little bit swollen with some redness. Is this him trying to groom me?

It should be noted that this particular kitty, even though he is now almost 2 years old, still tries to nurse, intently making biscuits on my belly or chest and licking my shirt or pjs. He's an oddball.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year, back when Krista was always so excited about getting Rad Cat (commercial raw), she would give me little love nips on the arm. It was never hard or painful. Just a gentle nip. I assumed she was hungry and was trying to hurry me up. She likes her Rawz these days well enough. But not like she liked her Rad Cat. Not enough to give me hurry up nips like she used to. :(

Krista also has some of those nursing behaviors but she did learn how to modulate her responses somewhere. Just today, I was stroking her in my lap. I must have touched a sore spot or she just had enough and she gave me a toothless lunge and a couple of claws-retracted slaps with her paw that told me, "I'm not upset with you, but that's enough!"

If he's nipping you too hard, you could yell or yip or squeak and pull away. That's cat language for "not so hard!" It's possible from his nursing behaviors that he was taken from mama and siblings too soon. If so, they may not have taught him "too hard!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible from his nursing behaviors that he was taken from mama and siblings too soon. If so, they may not have taught him "too hard!"
Oh I'm quite certain that's the case. He was found abandoned in a box left outside at the age of 2-3 months. I don't know how his life was beforehand but it's obvious he lacks some social skills, yes. He really doesn't get the "too hard!" part, especially when wrestling with my other cat. He's much older and wants absolutely none of it and meows in protest and desperation, but the little guy doesn't get it... I have to 'rescue' the poor old kitty nearly every time, lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just yip or squeak, something in the cat/mouse vocal range, and pull away every time it's too hard. I said yell earlier but don't do that. You don't want to frighten him or try to discipline him in any way about it. He doesn't know better (and discipline doesn't work with cats.) You're mama cat now. It's up to you to teach him "too hard" if the older cat won't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby does the very same thing - mostly to my arms, as she is typically in my lap when she does it to me. And, sometimes it does hurt. I just move my arm, as I have found that it hurts only in areas that have veins closer to the surface of the skin - areas of the arm where the veins are not as exposed don't hurt at all. So, I don't know if it the same issue or not since it is happening on other areas than just your arms.

I don't say anything to her, as I am guessing that she nips at me with the same amount of force/pressure as she does her own extremities and apparently isn't hurting herself.

Maybe the wrong approach to take, but as I said, if I just move my arm a bit then she nips another area where it doesn't hurt at all.

Btw, she only started this just recently, but I think it might a slight elevation to her very mild hyperesthesia, as she does have a few other traits that fit into that category.