Does Your Cat Meow ?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ive noticed gracie doesn't meow . What I mean by meow is the sound as normally associate with cats. She does trill a lot in fact but I've never heard her make a meow sound. She's 8 months now so maybe she will start new sounds one day. I love her trilling sounds though as I know shes excited or telling me something ...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male cat certainly meows really loud, but my girl cat is really quiet. She lets out a little squeak sometimes. Maybe it's because she was a feral for the first 6 months of her life.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, all the cats in my household meow especially if they are trying to get my attention or Rigby does it when my cousin goes outside and out of his sight.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Missy has a large variety of meows and sounds. She is very vocal. I like the sound she makes when I reassure her that I'm around. When she doesn't see me right away, she meows with a high voice, but when I call her name, she answers with a much lower voice 'roo roo'. So cute...

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy Spooky is very talkative, but never in meows. He gives these little grunt/trills almost constantly and will sometimes open his mouth and let out a half-hearted little squeak if he REALLY needs my attention, but that's it. I've only heard him meow two times - once when we first adopted him and had to give him deworming medication (he probably thought we were killing him) and the first few times he had to be in his carrier. If he lets out a real full meow it means something is seriously wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy Spooky is very talkative, but never in meows. He gives these little grunt/trills almost constantly and will sometimes open his mouth and let out a half-hearted little squeak if he REALLY needs my attention, but that's it. I've only heard him meow two times - once when we first adopted him and had to give him deworming medication (he probably thought we were killing him) and the first few times he had to be in his carrier. If he lets out a real full meow it means something is seriously wrong.
Cool! At least my kitten is not the only one out there who doesn't meow !

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we first adopted Carleton he only peeped, sounded almost like a baby bird. It's been a year and a half and I wouldn't really call the sounds he makes your typical meow. It sounds more like a yowl.:biggrin:

fidola

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ive noticed gracie doesn't meow . What I mean by meow is the sound as normally associate with cats. She does trill a lot in fact but I've never heard her make a meow sound. She's 8 months now so maybe she will start new sounds one day. I love her trilling sounds though as I know shes excited or telling me something ...
My 11 month old Gracie only "meows" when she's yawning. I rarely her vocalize otherwise.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie has several different meows. He has the regular "meow" that he makes when he's hungry, a lower-pitched meow when he's in the carrier going to the vet, a chirp he makes when watching the birds/squirrels through the window, and a trill-like "mirrp" that he makes when he jumps.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After having had Siamese cats all our adult life, together with their very vocal and loud yowls, we were given Sukie, now two years six months, by our children, one of whom owns Sukie's mother. Neither the mother, Polly, nor Sukie can meow. They both just squeak. I have heard Sukie raising her voice when she was having a yowl-up with the brown cat from across the road, but even then the sound was nothing like a meow, just a very loud noise.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats never talk, some it takes time.
There has been research that suggests that each cat human language is completed unique to each household.
They believe each cat figures out that we communicate thru noise, so they try to do the same.
My cat has learnt the more pathetic and desperate the meow the better the response.
She also like to look pathetic and have a "hang dog" expression when begging for food, manipulative little $h!t.