Does Your Cat Know The Difference Between Clothing And Bare Skin

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been reading what people put on different cat websites and most of them say that their cats doesn't know the difference! but I just want to reassure at least here on this website that at least in my case, my cat Seven distinguishes the difference between when I'm wearing a t-shirt and when I'm not wearing a t-shirt. If I'm wearing a t-shirt she has no problems using her nails to grip onto my shirt but when I'm bare back or walking without a shirt on she will leap to my shoulders but not using her claws. It was one of my worries in the beginning for the summer I thought since Seven was a shoulder cat, when I wasn't wearing a shirt she would drive her nails into my back or shoulders. But it turns out that wasn't the case so I was just curious if your cat's were the same way and if this is actually more common than what people say. Cheers cant wait for your feedback!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting question, and not one I've thought about. Curious to see other member's replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow definitely does. Except for her quick lick of my elbow, she doesn’t like to touch bare skin and will only lay next to be if we are separated by clothing or a blanket.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you think she knows to keep her claws in when you aren't wearing a shirt? That's so cool, like she's trying not to hurt you. My cats don't care if they hurt me, but they are former ferals...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So you think she knows to keep her claws in when you aren't wearing a shirt? That's so cool, like she's trying not to hurt you. My cats don't care if they hurt me, but they are former ferals...
I have no clue if she does it to not hurt me or not aware of it because skin has different texture from the cloth but she will not use her claws when on my shoulders and neck if i dont have a shirt on and when she leaps from a table to my neck or shoulders she will not uses them. Although she will if i have a shirt on. Its very curious and that's the reason why I started this conversation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lord7sins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no clue if she does it to not hurt me or not aware of it because skin has different texture from the cloth but she will not use her claws when on my shoulders and neck if i dont have a shirt on and when she leaps from a table to my neck or shoulders she will not uses them. Although she will if i have a shirt on. Its very curious and that's the reason why I started this conversation!
Seven is also a street cat i have only had her for 5 months now and she was a year old when i found her. My story is here if your interested under, The Chosen One conversation.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper and I play every morning, and as she's chasing her toy around, she typically digs her claws into the rug for traction (I can hear it!). I've noticed that sometimes she runs across my feet, and she always retracts her claws when she does it. She also is very polite about keeping her claws in when she kneads her paws on me, rather than on a blanket or pillow.

Although I don't know much about her early life, it seems that someone taught her manners, and she does seem to understand that her claws can hurt.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not noticed it with clothing. I have noticed it with the blanket, and my feet in bed. If im in bed and move my feet under the covers the cats will play attack, no holding back, they hurt through the blanket. If i pull my feet out from under the covers they will still play attack my bare feet, but they never hurt. :heartshape:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo certainly knew the difference at one time, but he's forgotten now. I used to wrestle with him with my hand and arm (I know, not supposed to), but only if I had a sweatshirt on. If I didn't, he would look anxiously at my arm, and mew in a pleading voice, hoping I would put one on.

Alkaline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat definitely does. For example, when I'm sleeping he likes to climb on me but without jumping. When he tries to climb on my legs and feels that he is slipping and can't get up, instead of using his nails to stay on, he plops down and tries to get up a different way.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little devil knows. She prefers to bite bare skin and bites especially hard over clothing if I'm wearing a sweater. She doesn't know that unlike her fur, this fur has holes through which her incisors can pass
Luckily she prefers other games so it's not an issue for us

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think either one of my boys have a clue. Their both in their own mind zone when they are next too me or on my lap.