Does The Feliway Diffusers Really Work?

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m late to the party, but it sounds to me like she’d still be better off staying at your apartment during the weekends when you’re gone. Adding a cat + a dog + changing territories so often (your parents’ house not being her territory she could feel threatened all weekend) sounds like it’s wayyy too much for a cat who isn’t naturally flexible.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Good call on not declawing, it generally worsens aggression. Feliway is worth trying, it works sometimes, and is a lot easier than medication. SSRIs often do work for aggression in cats, but your vet sounds right on with their desire to start with trying environmental and behavioral management, first ( they're cheaper, easier, healthier, and you still need to do them even with mood stabilizers that are prescribed at proper doses.)

My cat is on "kitty prozac" for anxiety and aggression, and it helps a lot, but it isn't a magical light switch that instantly stops all behavioral issues. It'll take time and behavioral work, but if you've exhausted all other options, it may (in my experience) help.

P.S. If you do decide to go the mood stabilizer route, be sure to let your vet know that you just want a type and dose to reduce anxiety and aggression and not just tranquilize your cat.

Last edited: