Does my kitten look a purebred ragdoll or a mix?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sweet looking kitten! What is his/her name?

Domestic longhair, pointed but not sure about what type or color but many others here will be able to figure that out.

I don't see any specific breed. Keep in mind about 95% of all cats around the world are domestic cats. The other 5% are purebred and if you think about how many possible purebred types are out there and how big the world is, the possibility of having one get out and breed randomly is pretty miniscule. Not that it can't happen, but it isn't as common as one would think.

Lots of people think they have a specific breed or mix because all traits we see in purebred cats can easily be found in the general cat population. All purebred cats are derived from domestic cats. Also, shelters and rescues will say "mix" as a way to make the cat seem more enticing but there's nothing wrong with a domestic cat at all, so not sure why they bother! Some of the most beautiful cats I've seen are domestics!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty 😻 Did you get her from someone who said she is a ragdoll? A reputable breeder will give you papers etc. verification that the kitten is a breed, ancestry and color etc.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. IF you got her from a reputable breeder, and everything tells its legit; so yeah, the photo doesnt deny she is a ragdoll. Perhaps of pet quality, but still, a ragdoll.
You will of course see more clearly when the kitten is older... Such can be difficult to see on smallish kittens.

But if the source is uncertain, take for granted its a domestic long hair, a pointed one.