Does My Indoor/outdoor Cat Go To The Bathroom Outside?

LunaSky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since my cat was a kitty she is very good at using the litter box. While indoors I one time, accidently, left her in my room rushing to work and she did not go to the bathroom until I came back 8 hours laters and opened the door; she went in her litterbox.

She's been outdoor/indoor when she turned 8 months. When she's out she leaves for hours so I don't know what she does but when she comes back she comes in to eat and use the litterbox. Sometimes, however, she doesn't come back for a day so I get worried and wonder does she go to the bathroom outside?? How long can cats hold it? Would she really hold it if she's outside since she uses her litterbox religiously indoors.

Thanks!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat poops once per day and pees twice, so every 24 hours for the poop, and about every 12 hours for the pee. How many times a day is she going in her litter box inside?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My Charlie doesn't really have a schedule for litterbox, but I clean his box out twice a day and there's always poop and pee in it both times.
Are there any neighborhood kids with sandboxes? The texture is similar to litter, wi that might be a preferred spot for your kitty to go while she's on the go.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She most likely does, cats cant hold it all day, so she must be going outside. There's probably soil or sand somewhere that has the same kind of texture as cat litter that she will use.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep she's probably going in one of your neighbour's flower beds. Once I was sick and didn't clean the litter box for a couple of days, my indoor cat ran out the front door when I opened it and prompltly manured the lawn. Since then no matter how sick I've been I've made sure to clean the box often.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, feral and big cats always pick a new spot to urinate and/or defecate - and never come back to the same spot twice. Cat's are great at adjusting to the needs of their humans and will use litterboxes indoors, but if given the opportunity it is highly likely they will use the bathroom outside literally wherever. Lots of people despise cats for pooping in their flower beds. Yikes.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my indoor outdoor cats prefers to hold it for as long as need waiting to go outside. If they are inside because of a tstorm for the whole night, she just doesn't go. I don't imagine it is good for her, but I haven't ever found exotic litter materials to change any of my cats behaviors.