Does My Cat Look Like A Flame Point Siamese?

Robi5573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's already 8 months old, I noticed that his colors are slowly changing like a Siamese. The color of a Siamese becomes complete after 1 year. I am still curious, I haven't seen a lot of them during my life and I can't say if he's one or not.
20171230_122922.jpg
20171205_133437.jpg
20180131_131406.jpg
20180131_125139.jpg
20180124_112851.jpg

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say he is a dilute flame point. 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine do you agree?

Siamese is the original pointed breed but the point gene has spread far and wide since their origin. While every pointed can trace back to a Siamese ancestor if you go back far enough, not every pointed cat would be considered a Siamese or Siamese lookalike. The pointed gene essentially masks the cats underlaying color in a variation of the albino gene. Which is also why all pointed cats have blue eyes. Their fur becomes heat sensitive and will darken at the colder points of there body (ergo pointed gene). With age they will get darker and the darkening may spread all over their bodies. You get some pointed cats who only darken slightly, like yours, and you get others who turn almost completely dark. Genetics, temperature variance, and age can all play a factor in how dark a pointed cat will get and how quickly they will darken.

I am not the best at the minute differences between the various pointed breeds to say which yours is the most similar too. Without papers he is a dilute flame point domestic shorthair; and don't let your vet say different because insurance on a lookalike moggy is more expensive if they try to label a breed. I would say his shape is wrong for a Siamese, coat is wrong for something like a ragdoll or birmese, maybe a lookalike for a tonkinese but I am not sure.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R Robi5573 - Opinion: At this age, point colours are still slightly pale, and if the Dilution allele is in play as Kieka Kieka believes, then he'll finish out as an Apricot Point, since he's already a little too dark to be a Creme Point. Personally, my money's on Flame Point; like the Lilacs, the Reds seem to develop a bit later than the Blues, Chocolates and Seals in my limited experience, and I'd expect to see him gather colour at the points as he gathers colour at the body. I believe the same is true for Fawns, Cinnamons and for dilutes in general in all cats who express "cs."

Fact: This cat is stunning, and those eyes are absolutely intense!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robi5573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the information, soon he will be an adult and I will find out then, but still, thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
son of a gun what a CUTIE-PIE!!!! The wide ear set is almost more Burmese. A neato little factoid that some people might not know, according to widipedia the Tonkinese is now considered a natural breed due to the fact that these guys have been wandering this big ol dirt ball called earth since the 14th century.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
son of a gun what a CUTIE-PIE!!!! The wide ear set is almost more Burmese. A neato little factoid that some people might not know, according to widipedia the Tonkinese is now considered a natural breed due to the fact that these guys have been wandering this big ol dirt ball called earth since the 14th century.

Furballsmom Furballsmom - The article in Wikipedia completely lacks citations, and is not without an agenda. One might be better off consulting the history of the Burmese as a breed (since they are the foundation of the Tonkinese cat), and examining the Suphalak in the Tamra Maew. There was the beginning of a discussion here on TCS some years back, in which StefanZ StefanZ raised some interesting points:

Safeguarding future of pedigree cat breeds

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like a true flame point to me. I am not good at telling the various pointed cat breeds apart, but I'm decent at coloring! In my experience, the flame points are slower to spread and deepen their coloring than some of the darker points. I have had some born almost pure white. And my adult flame points have deepened their coloring since I've had them, I think.