Does My Cat Like Seeing Other Cats Outside?

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that this can be a cause of stress for some cats, but they’ve never seemed to bother her outside before. We have a sun room that she absolutely adores being in - like she would live in there if I’d let her - because she loves watching the bugs and the birds outside. There are several neighbourhood cats that come around, especially more in nicer weather. As I said, they never seemed to bother her before so the reason I ask is because there have been a couple incidents recently where she’s peed on the couch in there. Could these cats that didn’t bother her before he scaring her now?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think a cat has to be scared to spray to mark territory. That could definitely be it, even if the cat is neutered.

If it is full on peeing and not spraying, deep clean with enzyme cleaner, add a litter box out there and hope for the best.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes it’s been cleaned (we are no strangers to pee issues in this house) was just curious if it would be kinder to her to try and deter the neighbourhood kitties somehow! Maybe plant lavender around the sun room or something? Can’t tell if they bother her or not

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was at the vet yesterday she actually suffers from idiopathic cystitis, so sometimes could have flare ups of her condition (which antibiotics cannot treat) so I have some pain medication to give her, should her symptoms worsen. I was trying to decide if it was territorial or symptomatic!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah. Gotcha. I wonder if there might be a new cat in the group. That could do it. Hekitty is very familiar with the usual neighborhood cats, but if a new one shows up, she goes into a (literal) hissyfit at the back door, which is mostly glass. Thankfully, she does NOT pee, but BOY does she notice a strange cat in the group! If it is the same group of cats that generally don't bother her, I'd be inclined to think her cystitis is acting up.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that this can be a cause of stress for some cats, but they’ve never seemed to bother her outside before. We have a sun room that she absolutely adores being in - like she would live in there if I’d let her - because she loves watching the bugs and the birds outside. There are several neighbourhood cats that come around, especially more in nicer weather. As I said, they never seemed to bother her before so the reason I ask is because there have been a couple incidents recently where she’s peed on the couch in there. Could these cats that didn’t bother her before he scaring her now?
I had a cat who would pee against the wall of my home. Turns out the outside cat would meet her there, and they would talk for at least 10 minutes. Now that it is Spring, I am not going to be opening these windows for them to smell each other. I don't want any more accidents. The inside cat already yellows at dusk, sometimes carrying an empty sock or play object. I don't get these cats.
Last summer, the males were trying to attract my female from outside. I can't save on electric. I'm going to start trapping them,, and TNR them.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our semi-feral/community cat has a neighborhood buddy cat that belongs to one of the neighbors. They hang out together all the time.

On the flip side one cat showed up and was a total bully .... plus he walked right in our house like he owned it!

Now when my twerp is on his harness walks outside my apartment building, he keeps trying to get to and sniff people’s sliding glass doors ...... especially those with cats. I don’t let him have enough leash to do it, but I’m sure their cats do not appreciate the visit!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our semi-feral/community cat has a neighborhood buddy cat that belongs to one of the neighbors. They hang out together all the time.

On the flip side one cat showed up and was a total bully .... plus he walked right in our house like he owned it!

Now when my twerp is on his harness walks outside my apartment building, he keeps trying to get to and sniff people’s sliding glass doors ...... especially those with cats. I don’t let him have enough leash to do it, but I’m sure their cats do not appreciate the visit!
I take my cat for a walk. She wants to lay down. There have been cats hanging aournd the house talking to my inside cats. It gets them all worked up. They pee along the house walls. Inside cats do.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That right there is why I won’t let him go on people’s concrete slabs (or “patios” has they are called!)

Have you tried locking all your cats up, except her, then putting her in her harness and leaving the back door open? Then give her a long leash and just sit outside with a bag of treats. Let her come out at her own pace. If all she does is sniff the door, praise her. Then put her in her harness for the same time every day regardless of daylight savings? (Cats do not know what daylight savings is.) You can read or play on your phone while she explores.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That right there is why I won’t let him go on people’s concrete slabs (or “patios” has they are called!)

Have you tried locking all your cats up, except her, then putting her in her harness and leaving the back door open? Then give her a long leash and just sit outside with a bag of treats. Let her come out at her own pace. If all she does is sniff the door, praise her. Then put her in her harness for the same time every day regardless of daylight savings? (Cats do not know what daylight savings is.) You can read or play on your phone while she explores.
I take her out on a leash. There are outside cats everywhere. I have to pick her up when ever one comes to sniff her. Am I being too protective? Should I let her possibly get into a cat fight in front of me? When the owners are talking with me? Do you think I did the right thing?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm sure not,

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep them five feet apart and see what both cat's body language says. The giving of treats when they are five feet apart can help them to like each other over time.