Does Finn Really Know What “No” Means

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finn is the sweetest cat I’ve ever had. He’s gentle, happy. Just the best boy. Lulu eats on an elevated area because Finn is a bit of a pig and would eat his food and hers. He does get to it sometimes.
If I’m sitting in the kitchen and he’s looking up getting ready to jump and I say “NO FINN!” he will stop wiggling his little bum and sit back down.

This usually happens a few times and then he will walk away. Can he really know the word “no”? I tried to teach Lulu things and she’s just incorrigible. She’d get mad at me. But she is part Tortie. 😂Finn is a black cat. I had no idea how wonderful they are.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, who is a dilute tortie btw, most certainly knows the word 'No' - part of has to do with tone of voice as well, I think. However, while she may know what it means, 'No' doesn't always stop her on the first try! Especially when it involves a spider plant.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, for sure, I think it's possible Finn understands when you say "No Finn", that he's doing something you don't want him to do. And, like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, it's probably also part the tone in your voice.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest swears that Gracie listens when he tells her No if she tries to come into his room while he's doing online school. Says she opens the door and when he say, No Gracie, she stops and backs out of the doorway.