Does Anyone's Cat Meow At Them When They Cough Or Sneeze?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Spartacus, is a very vocal kitty. Lately he has started to meowing "meaah ah ah" when I sneeze, cough, or clear my throat. It's very weird! Anyone else have a similar experience or know why he does this? I think he's just chatting back and wants attention, but it's so funny!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That is pretty funny!! My cat will 'squawk' at me if I wave at her, even from another room. She will do the same thing if I am passing by her while talking on the phone. Not quite the same as what Spartacus does, but I am willing to bet it is for the same purpose - whatever that may be! I have no doubt you will hear from other members whose cats do similar things - maybe even reactions like Spartacus'!!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sylvie moves away from me when I cough or sneeze. She seems relatively unfazed by sneezing but acts terrified of coughing and can't get away fast enough. My mom's theory is that a cough sounds harsh and might make her feel as if she's being yelled at. I can't remember ever having yelled at her, but maybe someone did when she was out in the world as a feral kitten? I dunno. If she's snuggling with me and I feel a cough coming on, I do my best to stifle it!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats stare at us and meow when we sneeze, i think they are disturbed or annoyed. They do the same thing to a voice out of a phone or computer, that they don't like at all.....it's an improvement though, they used to shoot off our laps like a shot, scaring everyone and leaving claw marks in their wake!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love all of your responses! So cute :D

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Irving, and our one time cat roommate Mojo, would both have conversations with me. Irving and I talked all the time. Mojo was a friend's cat, and I was the only one he would answer. Both happened to be tuxedo cats.

My kittens now will meow at me when I'm getting their food, but they are usually pretty quiet. Simon doesn't like to be away from Garfunkel, and will come calling looking for him (I attempted to take them out on a leash one by one, and could hear Simon through the walls). Sometimes they talk to walls, or go in another room and start calling like they're looking for me (even though they know where I am) and won't stop until I answer back.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan and Trin both boot out of the room when the BF sneezes ... but my sneezes are less scary? Our theory is he sneezes loudly and harshly, and it may sound like a predator noise such as a bark.

Trin will also bolt if one of us breathes in to cough or sneeze. Anticipatory fear?

Olive doesn’t care, she’s more frightened of outside noises like dog collar jangles and large trucks.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Irving, and our one
(I attempted to take them out on a leash one by one, and could hear Simon through the walls).
hehehe the same thing happens to me when I try to talk them on walks. Now I beg my husband to go with us so no one is left inside

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my senior will chastise me for sneezing. I look at her like she's got two heads, and then I apologize for offending Senior Management.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
hehehe the same thing happens to me when I try to talk them on walks. Now I beg my husband to go with us so no one is left inside
Ya I'm going to have to enlist friends to help me train them. If I'm really lucky maybe I'll meet a nice cat guy :D lol

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya I'm going to have to enlist friends to help me train them. If I'm really lucky maybe I'll meet a nice cat guy :D lol
A few times I was successful to take one out while the other was sleeping... but now they hear me and wake up and come running no matter what. hah