Does Anyone Know What This Bug Is?!

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this bug in Cayde and Luna’s bedding. They are 10 weeks old. Cayde has been scratching and I found some black specks on the fur from the grooming brush. I think I also saw another of these dead bugs in their poop when I scooped it but not 100% sure.

It’s too big to be a flea and I can’t contact a vet until tomorrow.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's much too large to be a flea. I think it's a springtail. They're harmless, and like to live in damp areas.

But if you're seeing flea dirt on the kittens you should get them treated before the problem gets out of hand. Ask the vet for a safe and effective flea medication.
Thanks so much! I’ve done some googling and you’re right! Phew. I am going to treat them for the fleas tomorrow. Thanks so much, I have anxiety and tend to overreact with stuff concerning my babies!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, think it is something in the environment and not a parasite on the kittens. Turn the kittens over and carefully part hair in the groin area and on the lower abdomen, the hair is much thinner there and you'll see any fleas. If they are present, make sure you vacuum your whole house, furniture and all, and clean their beds and bedding in hot water in the washing machine. Make sure you get your vets approval on flea treatments, kittens are tricker to treat. Good luck!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Springtails are harmless, but their presence might be worth looking into. They are very vulnerable to dessication and require very moist environments to thrive, often environments which also promote mold growth. You may want to check your home for leaking pipes, damaged silicone/sealant in bathrooms/kitchen/entryways, and other damp areas that might not be getting properly dry. A house should normally be too dry for springtails to survive, even if the air is quite humid.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this bug in Cayde and Luna’s bedding. They are 10 weeks old. Cayde has been scratching and I found some black specks on the fur from the grooming brush. I think I also saw another of these dead bugs in their poop when I scooped it but not 100% sure.

It’s too big to be a flea and I can’t contact a vet until tomorrow.
Keep us updated and post some photos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help, everyone. It turned out to just be a harmless bug as you all said, but the kittens did indeed have fleas! My vet gave me a spot on treatment for kittens over 8 weeks after he weighed them both and he also advised me to get some flea spray for the apartment to use after I wash and vacuum everything. All sorted now, so crossing my fingers that the spray breaks the cycle. Cayde and Luna have stopped scratching now and seem happy and are eating and drinking and playing as much as they normally do so I’m happy!! Thanks for all your help. I’d never seen the bug before and was so freaked out to see it in their bed!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the flea medication isn't topical you can give your kittens a flea bath in head & shoulders shampoo. Lather up from the neck down, hold the kitten, wait at least 5 (or 6 just to be sure) minutes & rinse. It kills fleas :) Also if the flea medication is topical & already on them you can use a flea comb; avoiding the flea medication. To help get rid of the fleas/eggs. Vacuum daily & wash all bedding 1-2 times a week ... for a month or two. The fleas should be gone in no time. I'm sure your vet de-wormed them to since fleas give cats worms.

Congratulations on your new kittens :catrub:

Jaciherr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate to be the nearer of bad news, but after just going through a 3 month battle with them - those pictures that you posted looked just like bedbugs. But before you panic, I would call an exterminator or at the least someone that knows what to look for and what bedbugs look like. Take care of this before they take hold and start nesting. I wish you the best. And I hope that I'm wrong. Enjoy your new babies.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought bed bugs were darker but perhaps only after eating? You can bring home a bedbug in a library book. *Sounds like it was something else after all...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bedbugs don't have legs on the back of their body. The bug in the OP is a jumping bug---you can tell by the back legs and curved back. Not a bedbug.