Does Anyone Know Of Any Volunteer Drivers In Nyc For Vet Visits?

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if this is not the right sub. My husband and I are low income this year (I have a chronic illness and wasn't able to work most of the year, for the first time ever.) Unfortunately our cat got really sick (also for the first time ever) over the past few weeks. We have taken her to 2 vets for multiple visits and spent over $1900 on vet visits alone (I am not asking for money, don't worry...)

Since we live in NYC and don't have a car, we have also taken several Ubers to get to the vets which is adding up. We want to go to the ASPCA next but the RT Uber ride will cost us another $85 or so (not including visit) bc we are about 10 miles away...so I wonder if there is a place to find animal lovers (perhaps retirees) who wouldn't mind driving us to and (if possible, albeit unlikely) back from the appointment. The two vets we've already taken her too both say they've never seen a case like hers before, so it's like we're back to square one and I'd love to get her in to see a vet with a different organization.

If you know of any organizations like this, or individuals who wouldn't mind driving a friendly couple and their cat to the vet (perhaps a few times), please let me know! I appreciate any advice. *If it's relevant, my husband and I don't have driver's licenses - we've lived in NYC for a long time....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be able to post in The Cat Lounge forum (the most popular forum) but this seems like it would be the correct forum as well. Have you asked at your churches and at your senior services center? Sometimes there are volunteers who will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might be able to post in The Cat Lounge forum (the most popular forum) but this seems like it would be the correct forum as well. Have you asked at your churches and at your senior services center? Sometimes there are volunteers who will help.
Thank you! I asked senior services, then said they can't help but referred me to some other center, which says it will only help me if I am a senior. I am not, but my cat is! ;) But I never thought to ask local churches. I shall try this, a great idea, thank you!!! I also didn't know about the Cat Lounge forum or that it was the most popular, I will post there too, thanks so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried Nextdoor . com?
i hadn't, and should have though of it! my baby girl (she was 11 1/2) died last night, the ER thinks she had a blood clot and a stroke and there were other things going on and she would have had a painful life and may not walk again, we put her to sleep. I miss my baby girl so much. Thank you all for your support and advice over the past month <3 <3

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read this update. Your precious girl is safe now & bless you for having the courage to do the right thing, knowing that ending her pain would be the beginning of yours. Please know that your TCS family understands & you can Private Message any one of us, at any time. And when you feel up to it, you can post a tribute in the Crossing the Bridge forum. :alright::grouphug2::rbheart: