Does Anyone Have Any Experience With Cats With Multiple Myeloma?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my sixth cat to get cancer since 2015!!! I think, one died from a massive infection that they thought was indicative of cancer somewhere but I spent $8000 from five days on the hospital trying to save her from the infection before I had to euthanize her and didn't see the point of putting her through more invasive testing to find out if she had cancer too when the infection was already killing her.
And two more cats years ago died from cancer but at least one was well over 20.

Skye, nickname Lovey due to his extra clinginess and loving personality looks and acts like a Maine Coon but was a shelter kitten I got at five months of age. He and his brother were in the same page and hyper and had literally chewed off each other's whiskers. Even then being so hyper from being cooped up he let me pick him up and I could tell he was trying to be good and stay still and wanted to cuddle . He instantly pyrred like a motor against my face and leaned into me then squirmed and ran off and came back for more cuddling.
I had just lost my two childhood cats aged twelve and twenty two months apart both to cancer. My mom became disabled and moved in with me with her young feral cat and my other elderly chilldhood cat . Both cats were depressed and had stopped eating since their buddies had died, my mom and I were depressed and we needed a feisty little kitten to bring laughter and silly antics to the household. He was born the same month as my twenty year old soul mate childhood cat who is had since I was eleven and traveled with me to college, gras school and many apartments as I'd grown up and moved on my own, joined after college by the other cat who'd just died. So I felt my old girl was sending me a kitten, silly as that sounds
We also took in a beaybeaut five year old cat from the shelter that day, Mandy, a huge eighteen pound gentle giant who treated Skye like her kitten and groomed him and was loving and sweet to everyone she met, human or pet. She wanted ole typof food, fresh water, treats, catnip, to sleep on soft furniture, gentle grooming for her long glossy coat, pedicures for her nails she loved nail trims and to be treatedike the total queen she was. Never any trouble until she died of the massive mystery infection in 2015 after 5 days in the hospital. She was sweet and purring even sick in the hospital to all the staff and during my daily visits for hours. Skye and Inky who I've posted about who decided she was his soul mate and absolutely worshipped and adored her, and my other pets were devastated.

Skye aka Lovey has been through 14 years with me from that adorable purring hyper kitten. He's the only cat left who remembers myom who died 8 years ago . He's lost give gther cats with me and my last dog who I got a couple of minutes nths after Lovey so they grew up together. He adjusted to me taking in two feral cats and Tami them a d ten or more years later them eacj dying of cancer ( liver and ear respectively). He dealt with me taking in my mom's cats after she died and saw them each die of cancer as well (mammary my mom stupidly never spayed one tiil she was older) and I forget what kind for the other but in just two weeks it was all over his stomach, intestines and maybe liver or pancreas. Love ey quickly established with my other youngest cat that I found as a kitten eight years ago that they're in charge with my new dog, and now they're all buddies since the big 90 dog accepts he's at the bottom of the pack. They all sleep together in a pile ny bed.
Lovey goes to everyone he meets stands on his hind legs, stretches his front paws and will climb up on to your arms and shoulders and hug you. When he wants hugs he literally climbs on to my face, neck and throat and shoves aside the computer and phone and purrs frantically and drools wrapping his paws around my neck and shoulders. Oftern he'll put a paw in my hand too and start chewing on and washing my hair. He gives love bites which hurt but he won't stop. It's like he's trying to get I to your soul and he can't get close enough. He'll stay like that for hours and get upset if I move or need to breathe. He'll go under the covers cimpletely wrapped around my stomach. If I pet or try to cuddle with the dog or other cat or call either of them, he comes flying up and will climb on and literally sit on the other animal and push himself in the most impossible space/angle so he's closest to me. He's sat his butt on the dog's head or just sat on the other cat who's eight pounds, he's eleven or twelve pounds. Very jealous and vepcro cat clingy.
Eats hair, stuffing from toys, stuff he shouldn't, had a intestinal blockage over a year ago but was fine. Long-haired cream tabby sheds everywhere.
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread called Another sick cat I don't know how to link it. He peed on the bathroom rug two days in a row which he never does. He just turned fourteen in September so I brought him to the local ripoff vvet who I now refuse to go to +after I sent them a brutally honest email they banned me after twenty years so it's mutual) thinking he might have urinary issues or blockage or diabetes or kidney issues given his age. She says go to the ER after doing a lot of test and some abnormal results. He gets a million tests and an ultrasound . Diagnosed with multiple myeloma which is rare in cats. Paperwork says fifty percent of cats are alive four to six months later and many cats respond very to chemotherapy but it stops working eventually as in months and not years but a few cats live one to two years
They put him on steroids which I hate since it killedy last dog, gabapentin which I just found out causes hind end weakness, great that didn't help my last dog either now I feel even worse about him. He had degenerative myelopathy which causes hind end weakness and progresses to inability yo walk or move and death. Genetic disease. But I read after he died that the steroids he was on increase uncoordination and suppress immune system. He died fromassi e infection which came on in one day . Now I find out gabapentin causes hind end weakness and uncoordination as well so all the meds were making my dog worse too.
Anyway Lovey is supposed to have e steroids gabapentin, antinausea meds, mirtazapine for appetite every three days and two chemotherapy pills a day for ten days. He's only had three days of the chemotherapy pills, I had to skip a day because he had blood coming out of his nose. Every time I give him the chemo he doesn't want to eat and the day I skipped it he was back to his old self. Yesterday I went back to it and went to the dentist and came back and he was sitting on the floor crying, sounded very congested, wouldn't eat or drink and was staggering. We spent five hours on the ER all night and I found out that the extra dose of gabapentin I'd given him caused the hind end incoordination. Of course he perked up and flipped out in the ER and was clinging to me and not acting sick. They did blood tests and sent him home with two nausea meds, .cerenia and zofran since she thought he was still nauseous on the cerenia alone.
No results yet from the blood test. They want to check if his cancer is worse or if he's having a bad reaction to the chemotherapy or if he has a new issue like an infection from being on the steroids and having his immune system suppressed

Anyone go through this disease with their cats? Anyone have Any hope or insights? I keep hearing that chemotherapy is poison, the cancer is early stage but in his liver and solden and blood cells. People can live without a spleen and part of their liver, why can't he ha e the spleen and cancerous part of the liver removed and ha e a bone marrow transplant? I'd give my little Lovey my bond marrow in a second if I could. Inky had plasma infusions at a different hospital, they must have donor animals, I'd let my other cat donate but with his allergies to everything he might not be a candidate.
I have a consult with the oncologist next week and I'll ask these questions then but I was curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got the call from the vet and it turns out he just has an upper respiratory infection probably from stress of being medicated and isolated for his chemo treatments and going to the vet a few times in the past few weeks.
His blood work is already mainly normal and improved from just over a week ago so he's responding already to just three chemo treatments. I really want to a miracle for him since my dog and none of my other cats not to mention my mom got one. I just wish be be could go into remission and live years happily and healthily with me. It's a nice dream isn't it?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience and I'm so sorry for what you are going through!
Of course chemo is poison, it has to kill cancerous cells, it's a poison able to target and destroy.
My sweet Lola was on chemo, but they were weekly shots, not pills, and they had apparently no side effects.

I just wanted to tell you that your cats are stunning!
I will pray for a miracle.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi inkysmom.

You might be interested in the specialized online community of people who are managing their kitties' cancer. It's been active for the past 19+ years with more than 3000 members and their cats. It's an excellent place to get advice, information and support......that's where I would be heading to find folks with similar experience.

You'll find them here: Feline Cancer Support Group. Just click on the purple + Join Group button.

I'd recommend that you get a new separate email address to use exclusively for the group (Yahoo works well) - they use email for their postings, so that will help you keep track of the information flow.

Hope that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I never knew about that site. And thanks for the compliments Antonio! And the prayers, they're much needed!