Does anyone else really enjoy making cat food?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one that looks forward to making food for my cats? I don't know exactly why, but I actually really enjoy the process of it. It's not that I like touching raw meat (blech :barfgreen:), but I think I just really like the feeling of being in control of my cats' nutrition and seeing them devour the food and be in great health. At the beginning it was terrifying. I thought I was going to kill my cats for sure because I missed an ingredient or something. But, over time, watching the cats and seeing the results - it's the best decision I ever made for their health!

Anywho, if you enjoy making cat food, do you have any kind of routine? I usually put on some music and the cats sit and watch. Sometimes they try to lick everything - they usually get a squirt of fish oil that drops on the floor and sometimes steal a piece of chunked meat here and there. It's fun for the whole gang. :)

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The raw meat doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind making it but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. The worst part however is the clean up ... by a wide margin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The raw meat doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind making it but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. The worst part however is the clean up ... by a wide margin.
The clean up is definitely the worst part. It’s gotten better since I decided to just throw everything in the dishwasher from now on, but yeah, cleaning sucks.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to enjoying the fact that the cats love the food and it's the best food they eat. That makes me very happy. But I can't say I enjoy the process of making the food!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one that looks forward to making food for my cats? I don't know exactly why, but I actually really enjoy the process of it. It's not that I like touching raw meat (blech :barfgreen:), but I think I just really like the feeling of being in control of my cats' nutrition and seeing them devour the food and be in great health. At the beginning it was terrifying. I thought I was going to kill my cats for sure because I missed an ingredient or something. But, over time, watching the cats and seeing the results - it's the best decision I ever made for their health!

Anywho, if you enjoy making cat food, do you have any kind of routine? I usually put on some music and the cats sit and watch. Sometimes they try to lick everything - they usually get a squirt of fish oil that drops on the floor and sometimes steal a piece of chunked meat here and there. It's fun for the whole gang. :)
I would enjoy it if I knew how....Ive never done it..afraid I would do it wrong n make my boy sick..:)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I would enjoy it if I knew how....Ive never done it..afraid I would do it wrong n make my boy sick..:)
You just gotta take the leap and do it! It's really not that hard; just do your research and get help from this community. Pet food companies would like us to doubt ourselves and have us think it's rocket science. :)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What the hell? I have to put mine in another room and close the door. Otherwise, he would be whiskers deep in the bowl, and probably eat himself sick.
Haha, I actually do have to do that with one of my cats sometimes. It seems to depend on his mood. Sometimes he gets really aggressive with meat, like to the point of hissing at me to stay away from his meat. 😐

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make for Krista turkey and rabbit sashimi. Small pieces of the raw meat that I cut up finely for my mostly toothless cat. I'm still working on the food recipe she'll eat more than once.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Case in point.

I finished cutting up one turkey leg for her meat later. From that, I took a piece of thigh meat and finely cut (with poultry shearers) turkey sashimi. Then I top it with powdered freeze-dried liver treat.
7CA0ADE9-CB05-4363-BC21-5D3691549F58.jpeg
Iron Chef Krista approves!
0EA4F12C-0B57-40FE-8F03-F0AD7FF5D0E4.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I employ distract-a-snacks to keep Krista occupied while I prepare her food (as depicted above.)

Or I put a spare litterbox on the counter either empty or with a shallow water bottom on her only approach to the sink.
A8C5BA04-5ADE-4390-AD4A-F6A086812C1D.jpeg
In this case, I’m learning how to butcher a rabbit for her by following along a YouTube. Behind the iPad is a litterbox with a shallow amount of water in the bottom making her sink approach very treacherous!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy the outcome for sure. But I don't enjoy the process because it's very labor intensive and takes a lot of time. I make about 3 batches of 20 pounds every 3 months.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm the only one that enjoys it? I'm beginning to think I've been brainwashed by my cats. :catman:

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't feed raw but if I did I think I would like the process.I can see how you would get a sense of accomplishment in your efforts.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm the only one that enjoys it? I'm beginning to think I've been brainwashed by my cats. :catman:
I don’t hardly cook for myself beyond an omelette and the occasional piece of fish. But seeing how much my Krista enjoys the result, that keeps me slaving away in Krista Test Kitchen until I win the Iron Chef’s approval!

Attachments