Does Anyone Else Like Gardening?

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, that last garden was stunning. All my nice gaden photos are on instagram. Have no idea how to post them here! Here's a few. Not many flowers out. Been too
IMG_20180323_162358.jpg
hot. I have included our cat run and catio. Catio looking a bit sad as I just gave it a good pruning.
IMG_20180323_160900.jpg
IMG_20180323_153601.jpg
IMG_20180323_153326.jpg
IMG_20180323_153101.jpg
IMG_20170709_093841.jpg
IMG_20170423_170456.jpg

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, you're so lucky! I love gardening, but sadly I am renting. I do have a small pallet garden I would put flowers, mint, and cucumber in, but I'm not sure if there will be space for that at our new place yet. Until then I'm confined to indoor plants (aloe, bamboo, dracaena, cacti, and cat grass so Ares has something to play in without getting told "No").
Please get rid of the dracaena immediately or put it where your kitties cannot possibly get to it. It's deadly poisonous.

Check this list for other poisons plants. You'd be surprised how many houseplants are toxic. And of course, tomato leaves.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, that last garden was stunning. All my nice gaden photos are on instagram. Have no idea how to post them here! Here's a few. Not many flowers out. Been tooView attachment 223915 hot. I have included our cat run and catio. Catio looking a bit sad as I just gave it a good pruning.View attachment 223917 View attachment 223918 View attachment 223912 View attachment 223914 View attachment 223919 View attachment 223920
Wow, wow, and more wow. You guys swing for the fence! These are some AMAZING gardens with such talent!!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do a lot of gardening but between working full time, the cattery and an injured knee I don't do much now. I have been a Certified Master Gardener since 1999. When my kids were home I have a huge vegetable garden - 130 foot by 30 foot. I grew everything from the normal squash, potatoes tomatoes and peppers to sesame and poppy for baking. During the summer I never bought vegetable and I also froze a lot for winter. I also liked flower gardening. Here are a few photos of my past efforts.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to do a lot of gardening but between working full time, the cattery and an injured knee I don't do much now. I have been a Certified Master Gardener since 1999. When my kids were home I have a huge vegetable garden - 130 foot by 30 foot. I grew everything from the normal squash, potatoes tomatoes and peppers to sesame and poppy for baking. During the summer I never bought vegetable and I also froze a lot for winter. I also liked flower gardening. Here are a few photos of my past efforts.
These colors are exquisite!! That is quite an accomplishment, I would love to try my hand at flowers. What would you suggest as a nice beginner flowers to intermingle in with my veggie garden? I'm planting lettuce, broccolli, cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, eggplant, cilantro, green beans and a few other veggies I have yet to decide on.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a huge container garden. I have spots for 84 plants. They're on a timed drip system. Today is the day we get out and start getting everything ready to plant. Things should have been in the ground about last week.

If you like cherry or grape tomatoes, be sure to get some Sweet Millions. They're prolific. The first bite is incredible sweetness, followed by a lingering intense and rich tomato taste. The one problem we have is that when my husband goes out to harvest them, only about half make it into the house!

We plant a lot of hot peppers - about 12 jalapeños, some Sweet Heat (like a cross between a bell and a mild jalapeño), about six different colors of habaneros, a few no-heat habaneros that have all the flavor and aroma but not the burn (I'm a wimp), and then some of the super-hots like ghost, Trinidad moruga scorpion, apocalypse scorpion, Carolina Reaper, and a few others. And of course, herbs - parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon), catnip, oregano, lots of basil, four or five kinds of mint (peppermint, Kentucky Colonel, spearmint, and mojito mint this year), garlic chives, and I hope, lemongrass this year. We had some cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, and squash last year but the leaf-footed bugs got them. I HATE those things!

We lost most of the plants to the two very hard freezes and snows we had this winter, in spite of covering them, but the mints, sage, catnip, garlic chives, and parsley survived. I'm not sure yet if anything else made it or not.

My wonderful husband built me a new 22-pot section last year, but he's adamant that those will be the last. They're all up on cinderblocks topped by long 4" x 4" rails. The photos are taken from several years.

The plant on the left is the sage, which goes absolutely wild and attacks the other plants, taking over their pots. It really battles with the catnip on the opposite side.
P1010097.jpg

These are some of the tomato plants in the self-watering EarthBoxes. Those things are great!
P1010100.jpg

A view of the two older sections, early April.
P4090005.jpg

The newest section, with most of the milder peppers, plus some veggies.
IMG_0346.jpg

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I may be a bit speechless. (Which DOES NOT happen much!) lol I'm just sitting here looking at all the attention to detail in every last picture, it is beyond words. I can certainly see why they would want to feature your parents garden in any magazine, it is absolutely stunning!! I would give anything to have an inkling of that type of talent and dedication to apply to my garden. Now, I'm going to have to look at these pics again because I am in awe still. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump: Thank you so much for sharing these @Kieka !!
I can only second your thoughts. What a little piece of heaven!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plant an extensive garden every year, and have many flower beds on our acre of land in the middle of town. I grow a lot of extra to bring to farmers market to pay for my water which is really high, 300.00/month in the summer. I plant tomatoes(plan to do it in straw bales this year because I have fungus in my soil) peppers (both hot and green), gourds for fall, onions, potatoes, cucumbers, and lots of cantaloupe because they bring good money and are always in demand. I mulch everything in the garden so I don't have to weed, I have enough of that in my flowers.We have an orchard, grapes and mulberries too. Our yard looks like a park, which is just how we like it, even with all the work!

Attachments

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've loved seeing everyone's gardening photos! I do like gardening but I don't get to do it very often. I love planting fruit and vegetables but I have also just planted some crocus and snowdrop bulbs for next spring. We have raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, a magnolia tree, snowdrops, daffodils, blue bells, fox gloves, poppies, roses, a rhododendron tree, an olive tree, sweat peas, lilies and white lilacs in our garden that grow every year. I also just bought some carrot seeds to plant. We're also going to plant some wildflower seeds this autumn.

Attachments

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely LOVE this!! Those sunflowers are perfection against the wall, so very pretty!!
Thank you! I love having flowers to cut & bring in the house all summer, & sometimes into early fall.
Those pictures are from the first year I did it. Since then, there has been something that eats the sunflowers, leaves, & sometimes petals, so they haven't gotten as tall & healthy looking since then. They seem to get eaten before I can bring them in sometimes. I have no idea what could be munching on it. No evidence of any kind of worms, or anything. Maybe some kind of beetle??
@Kieka, Love the pictures! Very nice!. I also like the wind chime hanging from the tree. I had a friend who had a nice tree w/ low reaching branches in her yard, so she made it a wind chime tree. It was great. She had a few different ones hanging from different branches. I wish I had a tree to do that with. I have a lot of them hanging from my porch.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plant an extensive garden every year, and have many flower beds on our acre of land in the middle of town. I grow a lot of extra to bring to farmers market to pay for my water which is really high, 300.00/month in the summer. I plant tomatoes(plan to do it in straw bales this year because I have fungus in my soil) peppers (both hot and green), gourds for fall, onions, potatoes, cucumbers, and lots of cantaloupe because they bring good money and are always in demand. I mulch everything in the garden so I don't have to weed, I have enough of that in my flowers.We have an orchard, grapes and mulberries too. Our yard looks like a park, which is just how we like it, even with all the work!
Very pretty! Yes, speaking of water. That's what really makes my garden a "labor" of love. We don't have a hose on the house. (landlord took it off & closed it up years ago, because a guy who used to live downstairs was washing his car & even a small boat he had, & we don't pay for water, so that ended that! I've never asked him to put it back, because he has already complained about the water bill before, & am pretty sure he would say no, or raise my rent, which I can't have him do! He pays for it because his strip of shops w/ his barber shop in it is in front of us, & there are also 3 houses back here, all on that same bill. Although what he's said it was, is actually pretty cheap for all of these places on the same water bill!) SO, I have 2 water cans (just plastic ones from walmart, 2 gallons ea,) that I fill up a couple of times each, & water from over the porch as much as I can, then go down for the end of the garden. Not fun, but I love having the flowers! A friend of mine suggested I get a rain bucket, & have my dad put a spout & hose on it for me. I thought that was a good idea, but was concerned about mosquitos from it, & she said you just put a screen on top & it's fine. She said that's what they do w/ theirs & haven't had any issues. I
d just have to figure out where to put it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am itching to get my garden ready. The weather hasn't cooperated yet but any day now! I bought my seeds back in January. I have 3 4x8 raised beds and I grow my tomatoes in tall nursery pots. We had a small strawberry patch going but I lost the will to battle the crab grass. That stuff is evil! :eviltongue: I don't mind it too much in the yard; but I couldn't weed enough to keep it out of the strawberries. And I weeded almost daily. It still gets in the raised beds too of course.

I have seeds for peas, bush beans, carrots, summer squash, zucchini and cucumbers. I keep telling myself I am going to take it easy this year. I hope I stick to it. Last summer everything got away from me and I never even harvested my potatoes. Soooo I'm expecting to see some sprout this year. :paperbag: I will probably get some peppers to put in where the peas go once they are done. My peppers have had issues with the stink bugs the last few years.

My flowers are mainly grown in pots. I'd love to add an herb garden but it'll have to be raised too. I just can't deal with the crab grass battle. I'm slowly building a shade garden in one corner too. My Aunt gave me a list of plants to put in and we scored a major amount of bricks and pavers off a moving neighbor last year.

Let me see if I can easily pull up pics I've shared before.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so jealous! Still looking at several inches of snow on the ground here. But the beautiful pictures of your gardens have inspired me to start thinking about flowering annuals and colors. No vegetable garden for me as my lot is too shady, but I miss the fresh from the garden veggies (my late father was a huge gardener).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, there are some lovely pictures on this thread! My garden is a work in progress. It's mainly a fenced in play area for the cats, but I have big dreams.....

It's buried under a ton of snow at the moment. Soon as the warmer weather starts I'll try to plant some prettier stuff.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please get rid of the dracaena immediately or put it where your kitties cannot possibly get to it. It's deadly poisonous.

Check this list for other poisons plants. You'd be surprised how many houseplants are toxic. And of course, tomato leaves.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats
Thank you, I'm aware of which plants can cause him harm. He doesn't have access to them (the aloe and dracaena are kept on a shelf he can't get to)...he just has access to his cat grass and the bamboo (which he does not chew on). I love my plants and I love my cat. Great link tho!