Does Anyone Else Like Gardening?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If so what are you planting this year? I just finished turning my soil over to be able to plant my small vegetable garden again this year. Nothing fancy, but love being able to walk out and pick my own vegetables. Very rewarding and working in it does soothe my nerves.....

29497006_627764057566081_163792444552283676_n.jpg
29468633_627766757565811_2675571743625185267_n.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I LOVE your hummy stone, and my goodness, you must get a lot of veggies!
I like gardening but I'm wondering how hot it'll get this year in Denver. I'm going to try a tomato called black velvet this time, and I'll be really interested to see how the asparagus does, --second year. Otherwise we have a couple young apple trees, the rhubarb is already pushing up little nubbins. We'll do seeds of zucchini, summer squash, cantaloupe, it's pretty impressive how much we save by not having to buy these veggies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I may have to put out some feeders this year to see if I can attract some in! And admittedly, the garden seems to increase bit by bit. hehe Black velvet, sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up! I'm trying my hand at asparagus for the first time so any pointers would be welcome. :) Your garden plans sound lovely, you'll have to share pics!! Oh, and the cost...... pfttttt you can't beat it!! I keep my family and friends in okra, tomatoes, and squash all summer!

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, you're so lucky! I love gardening, but sadly I am renting. I do have a small pallet garden I would put flowers, mint, and cucumber in, but I'm not sure if there will be space for that at our new place yet. Until then I'm confined to indoor plants (aloe, bamboo, dracaena, cacti, and cat grass so Ares has something to play in without getting told "No").

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any tips for the asparagus, I just went with the package directions which were pretty good, every little root thingy came up lol

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wenda Wenda could you do maybe a little pool garden or two? I too was in an apartment with NO room for anything until 2 years ago. We also had a room mate by the name of Mr Black Mold for the 4 years we lived there which wrecked heavoc on every part of our lives and health. We basically threw all of our belongings out and started fresh in a new place which actually rents with an extra lot!! I have been in Heaven!! Last year was our first garden, we've built a little firepit, and have a couple of beautiful Pecan trees on the properties. (And my son has been seizure free since we've moved!) We may not have a lot, but it's the little things that become the big things in life sometimes that we take for granted. :)

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kmbishop111 kmbishop111 that's a good idea about the pool garden. I never thought of that. And holey moley! I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with black mold. That's terrible, but glad you made it out and into a better place!!! Having an extra lot must be dream :)...although nothing compared to the peace of mind you get from seeing your son do better! :D

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, you can fit a lot of veggies there! I love gardening. We have a large variety of plants. Our front garden is tropical, and the back more english style. Just waiting on the new veggie patch. Only growing chillies, lettuce, and herbs at the moment. I live in Australia, so it has been too hot to grow much else during summer. Would like to put in some beans, broccoli, pumpkin, and potatoes when it cools down. Have tried many things in the past. Nothing like going outside to pick your own produce. My cats love veggies also! If I don't lock them out the kitchen when I cook, they steal my veggies. Anyone tried growing mushrooms?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Mom is a big time gardener. A few years back our yard got picked for a garden tour fundraiser. I don't have any photos on this computer but you can kinda see some of it in the backgrounds of these photos.

We have avocado (two types), grape fruit, navel oranges, tangerines, apricot, dragon fruit, lemons (two types), lime and a baby macadamia nut trees. We have a total of nineteen trees (edit, twenty forgot one) both fruiting and non-fruiting (magnolia, maple, Japanese maple, tea tree, etc) on the property and it isn't a huge property. The backyard is so shaded during the summer it can be a good ten degrees cooler then the surrounding area. We also have plumeria, angels trumpet, fire stick (hundreds of succulents really), orchids (not the typical type but large bushy), just to name a few. She tends towards plants that bite back so it is a good idea not to brush against plants if you don't know what it is at our place. There are also rocks of every type, including: granite, quartz (dozens of colors), petrified wood (really big ones my great grandparents got when it wasn't illegal), sandstone, and various types of lava formed rocks. Plus she makes fake rocks to disguise steps and platforms as rocks (the second photo, Rocket is standing on one of the fake rocks, hand made and hand painted). She's been trying to get a vegetable garden going but frankly there isn't a good spot that gets enough sunlight or wouldn't require moving all her plants.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rent as well, but was able to start a long slim garden down in front of the side wall of the house. I dug it up & started it back in 2009, when I was between jobs, so I had the time. It's an old house turned into 2 apartments. I'm upstairs, so the wall/ side my stairs are on is tall, so I always plant sunflowers on the far end where the wall is the tallest. Then, I plant a lot of different flowers, & at the end of the steps, I always plant a mixed flower pack, & they always seem to do well. This year, I still need to get out & weed it for planting. The pollen has already started here, & it's in full force, so I am waiting for a nice day after a little rain to do it. I have a client who works in an office at a hardware store, & she brought be a BUNCH of packets that were from last yr. so they couldn't sell them. Sunflowers, a mixed save the bees pkt, a cutting flowers pkt, SO many more, as well as some tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary... So I can't wait to get started! I'm going to put the herbs in window boxes I have on my porch railings, & the flower garden should be great this year! I'm excited to see how it all turns out!
Here are some pictures of my garden a few years ago & some more recent, like last year.
AM[/GALLERY]

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kmbishop111 kmbishop111 that's a good idea about the pool garden. I never thought of that. And holey moley! I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with black mold. That's terrible, but glad you made it out and into a better place!!! Having an extra lot must be dream :)...although nothing compared to the peace of mind you get from seeing your son do better! :D
Thank you Wenda Wenda That which does not kill us, huh? :) And my son, he had a really rough last 2 years while we were there. Went from perfectly healthy kid, to having Tonic/Clonic Seizures, Dizziness w passing out, headaches constantly, and they even did an echo on his heart at one point. Now he's doing great and off his seizure meds as of this month!!
I hope you try the pool garden!!

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, you can fit a lot of veggies there! I love gardening. We have a large variety of plants. Our front garden is tropical, and the back more english style. Just waiting on the new veggie patch. Only growing chillies, lettuce, and herbs at the moment. I live in Australia, so it has been too hot to grow much else during summer. Would like to put in some beans, broccoli, pumpkin, and potatoes when it cools down. Have tried many things in the past. Nothing like going outside to pick your own produce. My cats love veggies also! If I don't lock them out the kitchen when I cook, they steal my veggies. Anyone tried growing mushrooms?
Hi Australia!! Your garden doesn't sound too different from mine! I love that your cats steal your veggies. Lol Mushrooms? Well I could tell a story from my college years regarding that, but I won't..... :insertevillaugh:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Mom is a big time gardener. A few years back our yard got picked for a garden tour fundraiser. I don't have any photos on this computer but you can kinda see some of it in the backgrounds of these photos.

We have avocado (two types), grape fruit, navel oranges, tangerines, apricot, dragon fruit, lemons (two types), lime and a baby macadamia nut trees. We have a total of nineteen trees (edit, twenty forgot one) both fruiting and non-fruiting (magnolia, maple, Japanese maple, tea tree, etc) on the property and it isn't a huge property. The backyard is so shaded during the summer it can be a good ten degrees cooler then the surrounding area. We also have plumeria, angels trumpet, fire stick (hundreds of succulents really), orchids (not the typical type but large bushy), just to name a few. She tends towards plants that bite back so it is a good idea not to brush against plants if you don't know what it is at our place. There are also rocks of every type, including: granite, quartz (dozens of colors), petrified wood (really big ones my great grandparents got when it wasn't illegal), sandstone, and various types of lava formed rocks. Plus she makes fake rocks to disguise steps and platforms as rocks (the second photo, Rocket is standing on one of the fake rocks, hand made and hand painted). She's been trying to get a vegetable garden going but frankly there isn't a good spot that gets enough sunlight or wouldn't require moving all her plants.
Kieka Kieka I'm in just in awe. After of course I get past your BEAUTIFUL cats. Wow. Just gorgeous!! That garden is AMAZING as well!! I'm curious as to what part of the country you guys reside? That is such a wide variety of fruits, trees, veggies, and flowers!! I'm super jealous right now!! AND she makes rocks as well? I'm going to have to add another wow, last one, I semi-promise. ;)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rent as well, but was able to start a long slim garden down in front of the side wall of the house. I dug it up & started it back in 2009, when I was between jobs, so I had the time. It's an old house turned into 2 apartments. I'm upstairs, so the wall/ side my stairs are on is tall, so I always plant sunflowers on the far end where the wall is the tallest. Then, I plant a lot of different flowers, & at the end of the steps, I always plant a mixed flower pack, & they always seem to do well. This year, I still need to get out & weed it for planting. The pollen has already started here, & it's in full force, so I am waiting for a nice day after a little rain to do it. I have a client who works in an office at a hardware store, & she brought be a BUNCH of packets that were from last yr. so they couldn't sell them. Sunflowers, a mixed save the bees pkt, a cutting flowers pkt, SO many more, as well as some tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary... So I can't wait to get started! I'm going to put the herbs in window boxes I have on my porch railings, & the flower garden should be great this year! I'm excited to see how it all turns out!
Here are some pictures of my garden a few years ago & some more recent, like last year.
AM[/GALLERY]
I absolutely LOVE this!! Those sunflowers are perfection against the wall, so very pretty!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I'm in just in awe. After of course I get past your BEAUTIFUL cats. Wow. Just gorgeous!! That garden is AMAZING as well!! I'm curious as to what part of the country you guys reside? That is such a wide variety of fruits, trees, veggies, and flowers!! I'm super jealous right now!! AND she makes rocks as well? I'm going to have to add another wow, last one, I semi-promise. ;)
Thank you from my Mom. We are in Southern California. Here are some actual photos where you don't have to peek around cats now that I am home. These are the shots we took for the garden tour brochure. The committee actual knocked on our feont door and asked us to submit; we didnt even know it was a thing. Any stones on the sides of any steps are fake rocks my parents made. They went to a workshop to learn the basic but the attention to detail is all my Mom. Most fountains and statues are thrift store or garbage finds. The fountains my Dad repairs and my Mom repaints and repairs the statues/figures. We have a saint of gardens (I forget which it is) in the front yard who has no hands. So she repainted him and hung a prayer bead plant from his neck to hide the missing hands. The staghorn and elkhorn ferns are all from plants my great grandmother had, over a 100 years old now. Just cuttings replanted over the years to grow new ones. The rocks are from my great grandparents as well although my Mom has collected her fair share too. All the pathways my parents made piecing together flat stones or pavers. They also built the aviary and the patio over the jacuzzi (that is under the patio).

FB_IMG_1521779847824.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779842443.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779839550.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779833510.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779829409.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779826742.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779821675.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779818752.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779810392.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779807574.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779801834.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779792433.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779788323.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779785050.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779771877.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779767082.jpg
FB_IMG_1521779777697.jpg

Last edited:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I may be a bit speechless. (Which DOES NOT happen much!) lol I'm just sitting here looking at all the attention to detail in every last picture, it is beyond words. I can certainly see why they would want to feature your parents garden in any magazine, it is absolutely stunning!! I would give anything to have an inkling of that type of talent and dedication to apply to my garden. Now, I'm going to have to look at these pics again because I am in awe still. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump: Thank you so much for sharing these Kieka Kieka !!