does any one know what breed these two cats are?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they your cats? They are lovely.

From these pictures, I would describe the white one as an odd-eyed white domestic longhair, and the other one as a seal point domestic longhair. (A very tolerant cat, too, to wear the bunny ears!)

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they your cats? They are lovely.

From these pictures, I would describe the white one as an odd-eyed white domestic longhair, and the other one as a seal point domestic longhair. (A very tolerant cat, too, to wear the bunny ears!)

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs.
Thanks, I was wondering because I didn't really know what they were, also the other brown one also has very short legs, I didn't really know what he is. He was free from this old lady that was moving to another state. I got them not long ago from craigslist, they were both free as they were seniors. both 8 and 9.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any pictures of the seal point cat standing, to show the length of his legs?

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any pictures of the seal point cat standing, to show the length of his legs?
the length of his legs are all the picture, I was only missing his paws on the right

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to evaluate his leg length in the picture -- do you have pictures of him standing and walking around?

It would be helpful to see him standing so that we can get a sense of whether his short legs are within the range of normal cat leg length, or if he has the dwarfism mutation seen in the Munchkin breed.

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hm, I don't, when I take pictures from my height he just doesn't even have legs. his chest hair kind of just cover all of his legs, but I post them when I get one.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it's not easy to take pictures of cats :)

Basically, the Munchkin mutation causes a cat to have extremely short legs, similar to the Dachshund dog. If your cat's leg length is similar to this picture, he may have the Munchkin mutation. It is a dominant trait, so it is sufficient to have just one parent with this mutation.

MUNCHKINLANE-2020.jpg

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my god, this cat looks like him!! I was wondering because I wasn't sure if cats could have different heights like humans or if he had a disability.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Munchkin mutation is a type of dwarfism. The Munchkin breed descends from cats that were found in the 1980s, but short-legged cats were known to exist before that.

If your cat has this mutation, he would have inherited it from one of his parents, and we could guess at some probable ancestry from the Munchkin breed (but not necessarily purebred Munchkin).

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow, what a surprise, maybe I can get him DNA tested !!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if there is a commercial lab which has a test for the Munchkin gene at this time. The gene responsible has been discovered only very recently (I can point you to the research papers if that's helpful). However, if your cat's leg length is as short as the cat in the picture, he most likely has this gene.

There is no DNA test that can tell you if your cat would be considered a purebred Munchkin, and in fact this type of test is not possible due to the use of outcrosses in the Munchkin breed. In order to find out more about his history and ancestry, you would have to contact the person you got him from.

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, ok I thought you could find out cats genes like humans, but I will definitely ask her!!

life_with_weathers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
👁👄👁. Thank you, I think I have an idea of what they are.