Do Your Cats Meow?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Two of my cats, Zoe and Ozzy, were almost mute for a long time after we got them. Zoe did have the cutest little "squeak" sometimes, we could hardly hear it. The first time I really heard her meow was when we accidentally shut her in the office. Boy did she get vocal to let us know she was in there! :lol: Now, 8 years later, she is more vocal, but it's still more of a squeak than a meow.

Ozzy was just shy. He does have a regular-sounding meow, it just took him a long time to use it.

The other two, Hannah, a tortie with real tortitude, and Rico, a tuxie boy who's just a hyperactive little nut, talk non-stop, always have.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two of mine, pagan and Damien are very vocal, pagan talks all day long, she has conversations with us all. Damien meows when he wants something, which is most of the time and it becomes almost like howling if you try to ignore him! The other two are fairly quiet usually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I shouldn’t be concerned. Good. I thought it was possible that something could be wrong, since every cat I’ve ever had meowed. Maybe she just needs time to figure out she has a voice. ☺
Also, what is the difference between a stray and a feral? I hear people use both terms, but never in the same context. Like, saying a feral cat most of the time doesn’t meow gives me the idea that they have different meanings, since stray cats do meow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my kitten’s mother had the liter, the owner didn’t want kittens. So he dumped the mother and her liter in a vacant parking lot. They remained outside (the vet said they were about 2 months old, so for about 2 months) until a friend of mine who volunteers at a shelter saw them and picked them up.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duncan talks almost constantly - a squeaky little roar, trills, meows
Barry was feral or had very little socialization and has meowed only a handful of times, always at feeding and usually when Duncan has meowed. I encourage it - although I might come to regret that. Barry's meow sounds like the old dolls that would say "mama" when squeezed it is almost mechanical.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, what is the difference between a stray and a feral? I hear people use both terms, but never in the same context. Like, saying a feral cat most of the time doesn’t meow gives me the idea that they have different meanings, since stray cats do meow.
Feral are those who have lived without human socialization for most or all of their lives, basically totally untamed. Strays may be feral cats but may also be lost or throw away pets that are trying to fend for themselves. While they might be fearful of people because of their outdoors experiences they still retain their connection and enjoyment human contact and comforts.

three cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 all meow, trill and purr. My big guy however didn't meow until he was several months old and then it was the tiniest little meow which was comical coming from such a big cat (he was about 20 lbs then). He always had a really loud purr, and now that he's older he makes all kinds of sounds.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about this tread this morning. I don't know what got into Atticus but he decided he was going to make a liar out of me. This morning he was waiting for me to mix his probiotics and digestive enzymes into his food, and he began pacing back and forth, looking up at me and plaintively going Muh RWOW! . . . Muh RWOW! . . . Mu RWOW!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dante screamed when he was a kitten/teen but I kept telling him "sush", touching his nose & ignoring him every time he screamed. Since I respond without meows and rewarded sitting quietly with treats he is the cutest beggar for his dinner each night :)