Do Your Cats Meow?

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kind of a weird question, I know. I’ve had cats in the past, and they all meowed. My cousin, though, has had a mute cat. My kitten of 4 months purrs constantly and when she wants something, she head butts me. Not a meow yet haha.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Freya doesn't exactly meow, at least not very often. She seems to prefer chirping and a wide vatiety of little, strange, metalic-like sounds that she devotes me while loking at me. When she meows, she does so with a soft voice, unless she is really upset. I woud say she is not very vocal for being a bengal.

Raistlin, on the other hand, meows every single time his food bowl needs a refilling, or that he finds his food is not apealing enough, or that he things I have slept for long enough :D So much for a quiet persian ;)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante meows when I do not prepare dinner fast enough. Salem meows to complain when I move him when he doesn't want to be moved. Chester meows to be let in but just sits by the door to be let out since we pay close enough attention. Other than that? No my boys are silent. Teaching them to beg by sitting quietly was brilliant on my part I think ;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen, my almost three year old female tuxedo, meows up a storm but generally just at feeding time. She doesn't meow at me when I'm trying to sleep or any other times. Every once in a while though I'll hear a massive MRRrrrrrrOOOOooooWWWWW from her for some odd reason or another but it's infrequent. Atticus, my almost three year old male tabby, just about never meows. He might try at feeding time but not much comes out. He has asthma and is treated with an aerokat inhaler twice a day so I know he has sufficient air to meow; I just don't think he knows how.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat was extremely vocal - the people three doors down told us they could hear him when the windows were open. Mowgli was 9 months old when we got him, and the first few months the most you would get from him was a silent meow. He still doesn't meow very often and never hisses, but he whines like a dog when he wants something, usually food.

We've had (pet) cats at the shelter that never seem to shut up, while others are very, very quiet. The vast majority of the ferals never meow. I was shocked recently when one that has been there for years and never meowed did so because his breakfast was half an hour late. This past Monday he did it again when I was cleaning their feeding room, so he's learned that he can communicate with humans.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver does a sort of a 'wah' noise rather than meow. The little rotter doesn't do the trilling thing that MC's are supposed to do. He just has to be different. I might have to send him back as he's not doing what it says on the can. Breach of contract maybe?
Betty and Chubchub are more regular meows.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfie was mute for her entire first year except for some chirps and meows here and there. Now meows and chirps all the time. I guess she needed time to grow into her calico sass.

She meows when I say hi, when she wants food, when she wants to play, hell she even announces herself when she walks into a room. She knows how to get attention, but she never does it to the extent of annoying me. I'm careful about which meows to encourage.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kids are talkers. A better question is are they ever quiet. Although, I wouldn't say they exactly meow a lot. Tiberius communicates primarily through trills and other strange unamed (admittedly adorable) sounds.

Reylan primarily sounds like he's whining. He just opens his mouth and let's out these ridiculous cries. Sometimes he makes little trills but usually he sounds like he's throwing a tantrum - he looks part Siamese so I feel like that explains that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith is very vocal. She meows, chirps, trills and sometimes she sounds like a little girl saying, "Hello?" and "Mama?" It's really cute. She did this the other night right after I went to bed. I called her and she jumped up on the bed with me.

Sophie is much quieter. Her favorite noise to make is more like an "ack".

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats are related, before I caught them all and had them fixed here was several generations of inbreeding going on. So we have a lot of orange around here and the strangest meows I have ever heard. They have a lot of Siamese in them, evident by the points and the blue eyes, ( which have diluted down to a pretty aqua) and the constant talking back and being so annoyingly vocal when they want something. but they don't have a polite normal 'meow!' They have what only can be described as the sound of a yamaha motorcycle..'neyt,neyt, neyt, ' or a Russian repeatedly trying to say No. I have never heard anything like it and my one long haired orange boy is definitely the worst, high pitched and amazingly loud. The others are not repeaters and softer, but it sounds nothing like a cat meow, more like a strange strangled squeak!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie talks to me. He answers my questions, even sasses me back when he misbehaves!

He wakes me up with Meows, and then a Good Morning while I am in the bathroom. He tells me he wants breakfast and food during the day.

Yup, we have intelligent conversations.. which is strange, because I guess he was very quiet in his other home.

The more I talk to him, the more he talks to me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow has a closed mouth meow that can best be described as a whine or a whimper that she does as her regular way to communicate. It varies in volume depending on whether she is stressed or trying to get my attention. She does occasionally do a normal meow but those are fairly rare and she also howls (and hisses)when she is playing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise