Do Your Cats Knead?

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 9 cats and some knead and some don't. The ones that knead seem to be the ones that we got young (less than mos). I think it might be because they lost their mother too soon. I have also read that somewhere. One cat was left on our front porch, about 3 mos. old and very sick. He is 4 now, and will get on the blanket my husband puts on his lap and will suck and knead.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amelia kneads all the time! Usually she prefers to knead on a soft blanket while sitting in my lap. But sometimes she gives me the full "kitty spa" experience: massage+acupuncture (kneading... really need to trim those claws), plus exfoliation (licking; it hurts so much but I can't bring myself to make her stop).

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will kneed only on a specific material. I don't know what its called. but its that really soft plush fabric that some blankets and my winter pajama pants are made out of. Like really super soft and a bit fluffy. Only on that stuff.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mika kneads on me or whatever is on top of me. She only does it when she's settling to get comfy for a nap (if we're cuddling) or going to bed. I have a very soft blanket that I typically sleep with and I've thrown it down for her to see if she'd knead on it alone but she won't. It has to be with me, apparently.

I love it when she kneads because she gets all squinty eye'd, her back arches and she looks like she's just feeling so good doing it. I talk to her while she does it and pet her too.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sombra is not so enthusiastic about kneading as my late Cucumella used to be but she does knead on me under some given situations. Mainly when I'm lying on my back. Also If I pick her up when sitting on the floor next to me she will then sit on my lap upright and knead on my chest while licking my face.