Do Your Cats Have Their Favorite Human?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
solomonar solomonar : "...Marc Bekoff, 2000: "Many things have passed for love in humans, yet we do not deny its existence, nor are we hesitant to say that humans are capable of falling in love. It is unlikely that romantic love (or any emotion) first appeared in humans with no evolutionary precursors in animals. Indeed, there are common brain systems and homologous chemicals underlying love that are shared among humans and animals (Panksepp 1998). The presence of these neural pathways suggests that if humans can feel romantic love, then at least some other animals also experience this emotion"" This resonates with me, bigtime. Has anyone even ever been able to definitively define "love"? And what kind of love? Altruistic? Romantic? What? I have never been able to do so, or seen it defined to my satisfaction. I have not experienced it myself, except from and to cats, and from and to my folks (family members), though many times I have thought people "loved" me or that I might "love" them. The most intense caring I have experienced is without doubt, from cats to me, and from me to cats. So the scientists may debate the issue from now on, but to me, that is good enough and then some.

KarenKat KarenKat , TYSM! It's so funny; when I went to see if I was going to adopt Tarifa after losing a beloved kitten to wet-form FIP very suddenly, I thought she might be "too old" at 11 months, and I had never thought about a tortoiseshell, probably because I had never met one. But she came very highly recommended by my friend who was doing the rescue/adoptions, and I knew she needed a loving permanent home, so why not ours? This ended up being one of the absolute best decisions I've ever made. Tarifa is "the perfect cat" -- friendly with other cats, easygoing, very happy and content, and very loving and affectionate with me.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ancient Greeks defined love, from the philosophical point of view. Moder biochemists discovered the chemical reasons of love.
However, I am sympathetic to persons who prefer not to dig much on such issues.
But the thread title invites to a deep insight to the problem of cats experiencing love, if seen from the inner cause of cats preference to certain humans.
If something exist, there is sufficient reason to exist.
For insomniacs (:-)) Spinoza: "Since existing is something positive, we cannot say that it has nothing as its cause".

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nah, you're not projecting. They do feel love and do have favorites.
My mom's cat loved her most and always put her above anyone else living in the house tho he did love me too and was still affectionate and loving with me when I used to live with her. I was his second favorite and anyone else came under us.

Which mind you... before I moved out my mom wound up marrying and even tho he liked him, he still put the two of us above him even after some years.

My girl Atsuko saw me as her favorite while my ex was her second favorite. Anyone else was those who came below us.

With me tho shes extra special with. She would cling and hover around me, following me around the old apartment, coming running to me whenever I called her and letting me do just about whatever I wanted.

She only let him do one or two things that she didn't let me do, but that was it.

Cats are a lot more thoughtful, intelligent and emotional than those cat haters who try and be saying all kinds of things about them and what they are capable of feel they are. Trust me, you cat loves you and thats a fact.

As long as you treat a cat with respect and love it will reciprocate whole-heartedly.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hmm Jon my partner wins the cats every time. During the day they sleep on his couch or sprawled on his belly or next to him. Honeybee goes to him for treats and to give bites. They tease each other and she adores him but he is the treats dispenser. She climbs up on his lap and meows softly at him then licks his hand. If that doesn't work she goes in for a good bite on his wrist or ankle the brat. He picks her up and cuddles her even when she bites. :dunno:

At night when it's cooler out she climbs up on my chest and stays there most of the night. She has a special blanket for biscuit making.
So during the day she wants Jon. At night it's moms warm body as hes never warm..she's quite the heater too. In the winter no need for big comforters...she emits enough heat for 2 people.

Pumpkin is Jon's cat. For years she's slept under the covers with him. She hasn't done this in a long time but it was funny how she would jump up. Tap tap on his head to open the blankets and he would lift it up and she crawls in. Started this when she was a tiny kitten.

The other night Jon told me she woke him up repeatedly because she wanted him to move off her couch. Lol. :agree:and he curled up on the other end just for her. Such dedication!:bliss:

Floey was my kitty. She followed me all over the place outside no matter where we lived. Slept on my hip at night as i sleep on side. She would wake us up if we didnt feed her by 6am.

Flash was Jon's cat..she slept on a pillow above his head for many months.
Henrietta was another cat who slept on him all the time. Jon is the cat whisperer or animal whisperer. Birds. Cats. Dogs. Skunks. Pigeons. Racoons. You name it he took care of them as a youngster...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm Jon my partner wins the cats every time. During the day they sleep on his couch or sprawled on his belly or next to him. Honeybee goes to him for treats and to give bites. They tease each other and she adores him but he is the treats dispenser. She climbs up on his lap and meows softly at him then licks his hand. If that doesn't work she goes in for a good bite on his wrist or ankle the brat. He picks her up and cuddles her even when she bites. :dunno:

At night when it's cooler out she climbs up on my chest and stays there most of the night. She has a special blanket for biscuit making.
So during the day she wants Jon. At night it's moms warm body as hes never warm..she's quite the heater too. In the winter no need for big comforters...she emits enough heat for 2 people.

Pumpkin is Jon's cat. For years she's slept under the covers with him. She hasn't done this in a long time but it was funny how she would jump up. Tap tap on his head to open the blankets and he would lift it up and she crawls in. Started this when she was a tiny kitten.

The other night Jon told me she woke him up repeatedly because she wanted him to move off her couch. Lol. :agree:and he curled up on the other end just for her. Such dedication!:bliss:

Floey was my kitty. She followed me all over the place outside no matter where we lived. Slept on my hip at night as i sleep on side. She would wake us up if we didnt feed her by 6am.

Flash was Jon's cat..she slept on a pillow above his head for many months.
Henrietta was another cat who slept on him all the time. Jon is the cat whisperer or animal whisperer. Birds. Cats. Dogs. Skunks. Pigeons. Racoons. You name it he took care of them as a youngster...
I love bitey cats. My Baby Su sometimes bites. Sometimes hard. I love it. Because I love her.

Bluuuii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jussi has mostly always tended to lean more towards me than partners, following me into every room i go to and such. Maybe cause i always fed him haha. Oh, and cause i spoil him by giving him some of the food i eat as treats. Unfortunately he seems to have become a little more independent now, and since i brought Iris home he has been obsessing over her instead of following me around :( I need to win back his affection!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jussi has mostly always tended to lean more towards me than partners, following me into every room i go to and such. Maybe cause i always fed him haha. Oh, and cause i spoil him by giving him some of the food i eat as treats. Unfortunately he seems to have become a little more independent now, and since i brought Iris home he has been obsessing over her instead of following me around :( I need to win back his affection!
It's important! :yess:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P1011191.JPG
P1010962.JPG
My late husband Pierre was sitting on the couch reading when Cucumella my angel cat was brought to us the first day. When she saw him she immediately run across the room without any hesitation and jumped on his lap. He put his arms around her and from that moment they belonged to eachother. It was me who fed her, brushed her, cleaned her litterbox in other words who took care of her but it was with him she wanted to be all the time. It didn't matter what he did or was busy with she was always by his side. A curious thing though was that she reserved her kneading exclusively for me.

When sadly I lost Pierre 3 years ago Cucumella bestowed upon me all her tenderness until she also left me last november at 16 years of age.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 245135 View attachment 245136 My late husband Pierre was sitting on the couch reading when Cucumella my angel cat was brought to us the first day. When she saw him she immediately run across the room without any hesitation and jumped on his lap. He put his arms around her and from that moment they belonged to eachother. It was me who fed her, brushed her, cleaned her litterbox in other words who took care of her but it was with him she wanted to be all the time. It didn't matter what he did or was busy with she was always by his side. A curious thing though was that she reserved her kneading exclusively for me.

When sadly I lost Pierre 3 years ago Cucumella bestowed upon me all her tenderness until she also left me last november at 16 years of age.
I am so sorry for your loss... both of them. At least she was there to help you for some time.:alright:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 245135 View attachment 245136 My late husband Pierre was sitting on the couch reading when Cucumella my angel cat was brought to us the first day. When she saw him she immediately run across the room without any hesitation and jumped on his lap. He put his arms around her and from that moment they belonged to eachother. It was me who fed her, brushed her, cleaned her litterbox in other words who took care of her but it was with him she wanted to be all the time. It didn't matter what he did or was busy with she was always by his side. A curious thing though was that she reserved her kneading exclusively for me.

*They both watch over you now until you are all reunited in due time. Those pictures are just wonderful!* :redheartpump::hearthrob::heartshape::redcat::hearthrob::redheartpump:

ChrisD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe this is me projecting human emotions on him, but it seems that Marx has picked his favorite - me! :D

Truth to be told, I am the one in charge of the little fellow (brushing, nail clipping, litter box cleaning, and let's not count the hours spent on the internet researching cat nutrition and all the other stuff :D), my husband feeds him when I'm not around and plays with him - but I don't really think Marx is aware of that. He actually should like him more, since he connects only good stuff with him.

But he only goes for cuddles to my husband if I'm not home, otherwise he either wants to be by himself or right on top of me! I tease my husband that that is happening because Marx knows that he is secretly a dog person :D

Maybe it's because he's a boy? But that's again projecting human attributes on to a cat.

How about your babys? Do they have "favourites"? And do they prefer the caretaker or the passive parent? :D
Our cat, Toesy, is the same way, sort of. He's not super affectionate when I am home, but he normally is in whatever room I am in. Although, when I leave the house, he insists on snuggling with my wife. He gets very upset if she starts her day without him. I'm not huge into pets, I prefer cats over dogs. We have him because she wanted "a fuzzy". He's all over her when its just the 2 of them. But when I come home, he wont go near her. It's so strange. Its like he's a different cat when I'm home.