Do Your Cats Have Their Favorite Human?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our friends husband did not want any cats. Our friend found a kitten and took him home and husband was like "OK, he's cute. He's staying, but just one."
2 days later (I'm not exaggerating, it was literally 2 days later) she found another and took HER home, and husband was like :eviltongue: but let her stay.
Both cats adored this guy. They were always with him, always hanging around him, and eventually won him over and then some--he adores them and would shank anyone who harmed them on purpose!
I think sometimes they know who is "cool" with them and who maybe is a bit not happy with them, pick that person out and make it their goal to win them over!
Such a weird dynamic going on with some people. I'll never understand it. But whatever the case, yeah!!! Good on that guy. *And I'd join him in making anyone who harmed them "history".*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm one of the clingy cat moms. As soon as he's near me I kinda have to pet him, tease him or put him in my lap. My husband is the one that plays it cool and always waits for Marx to approach him.

Since the the things turned out the way they did, I guess that Marx either doesn't mind me being annoying or it's Stockholm syndrome :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm one of the clingy cat moms. As soon as he's near me I kinda have to pet him, tease him or put him in my lap. My husband is the one that plays it cool and always waits for Marx to approach him.

Since the the things turned out the way they did, I guess that Marx either doesn't mind me being annoying or it's Stockholm syndrome :D

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:crackup::lolup:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have four cats. one is solidly bonded to me. (tibby) he thinks I'm momma. Drommie was bonded to my husband when we first brought her home but then I became unemployed and was home all the time and she has slowly shifted her alliance to mostly me. (she still prefers him for night time bed cuddles) our two rescues have both bonded with my husband.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Taz loves the heck out of his mommy, my wife Karen. Karen was not working at the time we got him and he got a lot of attention from Karen. Zoe seems to prefer me, I let her out on her supervised visits outdoors more so than my wife. Karen rarely goes outside with the cats without me. Zoe really appreciates her visits to the outdoors she was a three year old stray when we got her. Taz was a two and a half month old kitten when we got him.

Kitty and Rusty were feral cats I trapped after several months of feeding them and slowly getting close. Vet visits I was there. I socialized them, with lots of advice and support from The Cat Site. Mesmerized them with my litter cleaning ability. I am most definitely at the center of their universe and I very much appreciate the admiration I get from them.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...this has been an eye opening thread. Since I joined this forum in 2014 I thought you all lived alone with your cats (like I do!). But you guys have partners...and children! :wow:
*That's the beauty of the Internet. We could actually all be one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eaters. Who would know? :crackup:*

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Gwen when I was still single, so she was always first and foremost my cat. When my now husband showed up on the scene and started spending time in my apartment, there was a little tension, but they eventually worked it out and came to adore one another. Interestingly, she never meowed until he showed up and she felt the need to assert herself!

We adopted Juniper together, although I was the one who insisted on getting another cat and chose her at the adoption fair. It took awhile for her to bond with both of us, but now we're both smitten with her. I feed her, clean her litter, cut her nails, etc.-- both the good and bad caretaking tasks. My husband is home with her more often, though, and she likes to visit him while he works. So there's a lot more parity this time around. Although I like to think she likes me best because she sleeps on my side of the bed. He's fine with this, and encourages us to be closest, because he knows how important it is (and always has been) to have a pet to love. He didn't grow up with pets, and although he loves our cats, being a pet person isn't part of his identity in the same way.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am definitely Amelia's favorite, but it might not count since it's just the two of us in my little apartment. She makes her preference clear when others come over, though. She likes my friend who visits weekly or more, but when we play she'll always jump higher if I'm holding the toy and she always goes for my lap first.

Just now I had an inspection of my apartment and she hissed at the guys that came in... I wasn't thrilled about them being there and I guess she noticed, since she's never been anything but pleasant to my guests! I'd never seen her hiss at a person before this.

Anyway, that's something I really like about my cat. The dogs I've had in the past always gave temporary favorite status to guests, but my cat will apparently only like guests if I want them there and she still likes me best!

That said though, she accompanies everyone who visits my apartment to the bathroom, and pushes open the door if they close it. That weirdly uncomfortable honor is one that she bestows upon all.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am risking an explanation :-)

According to my findings, cats are positional, meaning that they communicate by picking certain body pose and performing a sort of dance. Not unusual - think to Haka.

Humans place very little relevance on body language (well, escept Police and Custom officers :-)).

Therefore, our movements and poses may have a hidden meaning to cats, hence their apparently bizarre preferences for one individual or another.

According to studies I came across, cats have the same memory framework like humans: short term, medium-term and long term and a similar brain area dealing with emotions and affection.

When we turn to emotions' biochemistry, there is no evidence that cats have a different biochemical apparatus than ours.

I must confess that I am a bit terrified: although very few people would accept placing intelligence on cats, it is hard to beat the fact that cats have emotional life (scientifically speaking). That being said, the whole current construction about life on Earth seems to be wrong or at least missing crucial aspects. Again, I am not talking about some esoteric theories, but about proved facts -that are hard to swallow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am risking an explanation :-)

According to my findings, cats are positional, meaning that they communicate by picking certain body pose and performing a sort of dance. Not unusual - think to Haka.

Humans place very little relevance on body language (well, escept Police and Custom officers :-)).

Therefore, our movements and poses may have a hidden meaning to cats, hence their apparently bizarre preferences for one individual or another.

According to studies I came across, cats have the same memory framework like humans: short term, medium-term and long term and a similar brain area dealing with emotions and affection.

When we turn to emotions' biochemistry, there is no evidence that cats have a different biochemical apparatus than ours.

I must confess that I am a bit terrified: although very few people would accept placing intelligence on cats, it is hard to beat the fact that cats have emotional life (scientifically speaking). That being said, the whole current construction about life on Earth seems to be wrong or at least missing crucial aspects. Again, I am not talking about some esoteric theories, but about proved facts -that are hard to swallow.
Ah, solomonar solomonar , you point out something I have long believed as well, in your first paragraph. I've observed that some cats, anyway, are like bees, in that they do a circling dance. What the significance is, I don't know, but it must have some, to them.
It's been said that cats are more sensitive than humans, and I believe that. As to intelligence, they are definitely one of the more intelligent species on earth.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06

I think predators must be more intelligent than their prey. Otherwise they would starve :-).

Human can easily spot a cause-effect relation. But is not as evident in other Creatures. Nevertheless, brain places objects in 3D environment, and for predators it is crucial to predict next move of their prey.

There is much discussion about intelligence in animal kingdom. Far less discussed is the emotional life of animals. Some say animals (cats anyway) can get depressed, at least.

The thing that frightens me is the fact that cat might be very well endowed by capacity to love. Again, not on the highly spiritual meaning of the term (for which I have no doubt), but in the very common sense of the term. Such idea is not totally against the scientific evidence, but many people will rather refrain to discuss it, not the make them look lunatics.

We all have been educated to consider Creatures as non-emotional. Twisting this carved-in-stone idea is not comfortable, I believe. It could lead to a different view on meat, at least. Also, it may shake our view about pets (not only cats).

It is somehow bizarre, in my opinion, that mankind builds super-computers, sends satellites to Jupiter and masters nuclear energy, but we cant say for sure, scientifically proved, whether the poor cat in the neighborhood loves us or just looks for food and other rewards.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06

I think predators must be more intelligent than their prey. Otherwise they would starve :-).

Human can easily spot a cause-effect relation. But is not as evident in other Creatures. Nevertheless, brain places objects in 3D environment, and for predators it is crucial to predict next move of their prey.

There is much discussion about intelligence in animal kingdom. Far less discussed is the emotional life of animals. Some say animals (cats anyway) can get depressed, at least.

The thing that frightens me is the fact that cat might be very well endowed by capacity to love. Again, not on the highly spiritual meaning of the term (for which I have no doubt), but in the very common sense of the term. Such idea is not totally against the scientific evidence, but many people will rather refrain to discuss it, not the make them look lunatics.

We all have been educated to consider Creatures as non-emotional. Twisting this carved-in-stone idea is not comfortable, I believe. It could lead to a different view on meat, at least. Also, it may shake our view about pets (not only cats).

It is somehow bizarre, in my opinion, that mankind builds super-computers, sends satellites to Jupiter and masters nuclear energy, but we cant say for sure, scientifically proved, whether the poor cat in the neighborhood loves us or just looks for food and other rewards.
No one could EVER convince me that cats don't love. In a lifetime of being loved by cats, I have far too much evidence to the contrary, as does most everyone on this site, I'm sure. A lot of what people take for granted as being true, simply isn't. It's always good to actually find out for ourselves, IMHO.

Have you read THE EMOTIONAL LIFE OF CATS by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - when Olive decides that she wants me to pet her and give her affection instead of eating her food, I call that love. The human-animal bond is quite strong, and the pure amount of need for her to be close to me and Randall I would call love.

Gohan brings Randall (toy) mice and drops them at his feet. To me, this is a gesture of love in that he is provided Randall with a gesture of affection without expecting something in return. I know humans that don't act in such a way.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - when Olive decides that she wants me to pet her and give her affection instead of eating her food, I call that love. The human-animal bond is quite strong, and the pure amount of need for her to be close to me and Randall I would call love.

Gohan brings Randall (toy) mice and drops them at his feet. To me, this is a gesture of love in that he is provided Randall with a gesture of affection without expecting something in return. I know humans that don't act in such a way.

*Until you've been loved by a TORTI, you just haven't been loved*, right, KarenKat KarenKat ?!! What a beautiful pic!
IMG_0715.JPG

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No I did not read THE EMOTIONAL LIFE OF CATS, except some summaries.
I came across:
The Emotional Lives of Companion Animals: Attachment and Subjective Claims by Owners of Cats and Dogs
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08927936.2015.1075299

and this (in summary only):
The basic emotional circuits of mammalian brains: Do animals have affective lives?
The basic emotional circuits of mammalian brains: Do animals have affective lives? - ScienceDirect

However, we trend to investigate emotional lives on a very egocentric perspective:
https://www.appliedanimalbehaviour.com/article/0168-1591(95)01009-2/pdf

Briefly, of course all cat lovers say cats love them and of course they are reports and questionnaires stating the same.

The point is however that the scientific evidence of this bond does not yet exist. The ethologists are half-way in studying animal emotions, i.e. heavily relying on empirical evidence and rational thinking:

Heinrich 1999: “Since ravens have long-term mates, I suspect that they fall in love like us, simply because some internal reward is required to maintain a long-term pair bond."

and:

Marc Bekoff, 2000: "Many things have passed for love in humans, yet we do not deny its existence, nor are we hesitant to say that humans are capable of falling in love. It is unlikely that romantic love (or any emotion) first appeared in humans with no evolutionary precursors in animals. Indeed, there are common brain systems and homologous chemicals underlying love that are shared among humans and animals (Panksepp 1998). The presence of these neural pathways suggests that if humans can feel romantic love, then at least some other animals also experience this emotion"
The article of Marc Bekoff is the most comprehensive I could find:

Animal Emotions: Exploring Passionate Natures: Current interdisciplinary research provides compelling evidence that many animals experience such emotions as joy, fear, love, despair, and grief—we are not alone | BioScience | Oxford Academic

===
My question is: do we have a scientific evidence of animals (cats here) experience love in their relation to humans? According to my search results , the answer is no. This does not mean that cats do not love humans, personally I believe they do. But anecdotal evidence and personal experience do not equal scientific evidence, that is the point.

Scientific evidence means numbers and controlled environment, at a minimum. It has to demonstrate a cause-effect relation (not so easy to achieve). Questionnaires and correlations are not science, but journalism.