Do you sing to your cat?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

So today, Xena had to go get dreaded shots- and tonight we are having a storm that scares her............ so I noticed myself singing "You are my Sunshine" to her and it seems to calm her, and at night I have at times sang "Beautiful Dreamer" LOL

Do you sing to your cat??

:)

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing to Parker. He seems to really enjoy it because even if I am in a room by myself singing, he usually comes in and lays down to listen. He always looks so content.

kittendaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't sing to them put they seem to enjoy when I pick them up and rock them. Usually it puts them to sleep.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I sing You are my sunshine to Angel too. 
  Yes, I sing to him ALL the time. I either am making up songs, or changing lyrics to a song, & singing to him.

"Whatever song happens to be in my head at the time." 

I'm sure if he could talk, he would tell me to shut up already!......because I sing to him so much.  

Funny, I have written poetry sense I was 12,  (175 last time I counted) & will be 45 in a couple of wks. but haven't written sense I've had Angel.

That's 5 yrs!  I guess my "creativity" in that area just comes out in songs for him now. 

(on a positive note, that means no broken hearts in the past 5 yrs!  Even though that's not all I wrote about).  LOL!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing "You are my Sunshine" to Muffy and Muffin also. They don't pay me any mind but I enjoy singing to them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rock her too!! that is so cool to see a guy rocking a cat. DH does that too... even though he thinks I don't see it :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, when Angel was being "Sassy," (Feed me NOW!!)  I started calling him "Mr. Sassafrass Sassy Pants." 

So of course, I couldn't resist making a song out of it too. 

"Miiiiiiisterrrrr  Sassafrass Sassy Pants, Put on your sassy pants & do your dance"..................
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     "YUP , Silly Meowmy here!!"

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes change "you are my sunshine" to "You are my xena, my precious baby- you make me happy all the day, you'll never know dear how much I love thee, please stay my sweet baby"........ LOL Yeah I'm pathetic. I do tend to sing her "Lulla-Loo" when I rock her to sleep...................... you know the lullaby from Lady and the Tramp

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes!  Once DH found an injured feral kitten who would have never been caught had he not been hurt.  He didn't want anything to do with people, but seemed to like my singing.  I would sing "Mama's Little Kitty Loves Shortening Bread" to him..."put out the skillet, put out the lid, feed that kitty some shortening bread."   I honestly believed it helped tame him.  I sing to Speck and Daisy also.  Sometimes rock, sometimes rap, sometimes the dollop of Daisy jingle from the sour cream commercial. Speck pays it no attention.  Daisy hates it.  I am a truly awful singer.

Last edited:

hagen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never done like that, but i speak with my cats a lot:) they try to answer me very often. That's crazy, but my cats understands me very well. :) Sorry for my bad english :p

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mr. Grimsby always bolts when I sing - I try not to let it hurt my feelings, but it does. Bertha ignores me, which is an improvement, I suppose.

We found this compilation called A Day in the Life of Leo. It's "cat-themed" classical music. When we played it the other night, Mr. Grimsby sat on the sofa with his head cocked towards the stereo. He appeared to be really enjoying it. Again, Bertha jut ignored it (I don't think she's musically inclined, which may be why she  tolerates my singing - LOL).

I always tune in the classical station when I have them in the car because it seems to calm them (the only time they're in the car is when they're going to the vet).

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have started singing "You Got It" by Roy Orbison to Xena. She does not like my singing, but that is okay!! I just change "man" to "mom" :)

flutenotepoet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had never heard of or thought to sing to a cat, so no, I haven't. But that's really interesting that it seems to calm some of them. 

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we trapped Pru and brought her in, she lived behind a futon for several months away from the other cats and us. I would go in to read aloud to her and get her used to my voice and sounds. I sang The Beatle's "Dear Prudence" to her daily. It fit her so well at the time and she still likes to hear it.

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play?
Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
The sun is up, the sky is blue
It's beautiful and so are you
Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play?

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cute!!

I think everyone should sing to their cat :)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I sing to mine! I used my nieces' words to make up a song. "Hey my kitty-witty-smitty, oh how I love you!" lol

hagen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when i try to sing a song, my cats run away :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing to my cats ALL the time and they LOVE it. They immediately start circling me and doing rubs. I never said I have a good voice, but something about that high-pitched, sing-songy tone just makes them happy. 
   And if it makes them happy, by golly I'll sing. 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not only do I sing to my cats, my cats all have their own theme tune or song.

Chicken gets the theme tune to The Addams Family.

"She's creepy and she's kooky,

Mysterious and spooky,

She's all together ooky,

My Chicky Chicky Chick."

Mia gets the theme tune to The Flintstones.

"Minxie.

Minxie Mia.

She's a Minxie Minxie Mia Me.

She says

Minxie Mia.

She says Minxie Minxie Mia Me"

I could go on, but I have 20 cats and I don't want to bore you.

Lord, I'm so insane!

Last edited: