Do You Read Books Featuring Cats?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I do. Warriors by Erin Hunter is a big one. Not sure if I'd recommend it for more sensitive people though. Still a good read, I'd recommend every book though some are better than others. There's probably more than 50 by now.

In Warriors, there are four cat Clans, or 'clowders' as us humans would say, than fight over territory and battle against evil, like other bad cats, and the occasional Twoleg (human).

Has any out there read Warriors? Or any other cat-themed books? Or do you stick to human perspectives?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't read Warriors; I have been following the Joe Grey books, and for a long time I read Rita Mae Brown's mysteries, featuring (if I recall correctly) a cat named Mrs. Murphy, and the Midnight Louie mysteries, both of which are written about 50% from a feline perspective and 50% from a human perspective. And Diane Duane has a series featuring feline Wizards, which is excellent.

You may want to check out the All things books and reading thread: All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Margret

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Most of my cat reading is breed or genetics related.

When I saw all the popularity that Warriors received, I gave the first book a go. It was too gory for me; I decided to stick with Robinson's Genetics. :thumbsup:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started the first book in the Warriors series, but didn't get very far. Not because I didn't like it, just another book I'd been waiting for became available. I do plan to read them eventually. Or at least more than the first couple chapters. ;)

I've read a couple non-fiction cat books:
Making Rounds with Oscar
Homer's Odyssey

Merlin77 Merlin77 definitely check out the All things Books and Reading thread - 2017 forum

muffy muffy I second jcat jcat 's suggestion to try an e-reader. It is so much easier on the eyes and has made reading a pleasure for me. Plus if your library has e-books, you can borrow them without having to leave your house!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a couple of threads on the subject, which is a popular one!

Cat Novels
Cat books
*****KatKwery! - July 24 - @#&^!
Great Cat Fiction Books

My personal favorites are the Joe Grey series, the Magical Cats mysteries, and the Second Chance Cat Mystery series.

muffy muffy Have you tried an e-reader? I have macular degeneration and cataracts and have found that being able to adjust the font size (and backlighting on the Kindle Paperwhite) helps a lot.
No, I don;t even know what a e-reader is, but I will check into it. I would love to be able to read again. Since I'm retired I have a lot of time on my hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of my cat reading is breed or genetics related.

When I saw all the popularity that Warriors received, I gave the first book a go. It was too gory for me; I decided to stick with Robinson's Genetics. :thumbsup:
Heh, if the first book was too gory then absolutely do not read the last book of the first series--I will spare you the details. :paranoid:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, I don;t even know what a e-reader is, but I will check into it. I would love to be able to read again. Since I'm retired I have a lot of time on my hands.
Definitely look into e-readers then. There's different types and formats, so do a bit of research on Google. And pop on over to the All things Books and Reading thread - 2017 forum to ask questions, as many of us there read e-books.

Heh, if the first book was too gory then absolutely do not read the last book of the first series--I will spare you the details. :paranoid:
Hmmm... maybe this book series isn't a good choice for me. Too bad, as the tiny little bit I read made me wonder what would happen next. All I got to was
the "house cat" running into the woods and being offered a chance to join the "gang". Last bit I read he was saying goodbye to his neighbour cat and was about to head back into the forest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely look into e-readers then. There's different types and formats, so do a bit of research on Google. And pop on over to the All things Books and Reading thread - 2017 forum to ask questions, as many of us there read e-books.

Hmmm... maybe this book series isn't a good choice for me. Too bad, as the tiny little bit I read made me wonder what would happen next. All I got to was
the "house cat" running into the woods and being offered a chance to join the "gang". Last bit I read he was saying goodbye to his neighbour cat and was about to head back into the forest.
It's not the worst, but one of the cats sort of.... bites the dust in a rather guresome way. It's not described too graphically but don't google it up, fans love drawing the scene with extra gore. The book is called 'The Darkest Hour'.

(All the people who have read this post and read the book are just nodding and remembering that scene like: :shocked:)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely won't be Googling to find the pictures, as I don't like violence and definitely don't need the visual.

Since I managed to get through the often-times violent "Outlander" series, due to liking the characters and wanting to know what happened next, I probably can get through the "Warriors" series too, if I like the story and characters. And I can always skip over gory stuff.

Probably won't start it again for a while, as I've got a couple e-books to read now, but if/when I do start it, I will try to find this thread, otherwise will mention it in the All things Books and Reading thread - 2017 thread, which will probably be 2018 by then. :catman:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our 5th grader LOVES cats and is reading the Warriors series. Our adult daughter has read "The Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun. I personally don't read books about cats but like it when there are cats in the books I read. I read the "... in Death" series by J.D. Robb and there's a cat with a great personality in it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH YEAH! Always have, always will. I will not read books with cruelty to cats or violence to them (or I skip over those parts if the rest of the book is great, like THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO by Stieg Larsson). Some of the ones I really like are Lilian Jackson Braun's THE CAT WHO...series, Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown's books, Lydia Adamson's cat mysteries, Gabriel King's titles, Gayle Greeno's Ghatti books, Paul Gallico's classic cat books, and of course, Jackson Galaxy's books about cats including the two he co-authored with Kate Benjamin. I used to know a few people in the book world, and I searched out cat books through them. Since everything's changed over to e-readers and my economic situation has changed as well, I am not buying books much at all, but I always love a good cat book written by someone who truly cares about cats.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy Have you tried an e-reader? I have macular degeneration and cataracts and have found that being able to adjust the font size (and backlighting on the Kindle Paperwhite) helps a lot.
I'm pretty sure that adjustable backlighting and font size are common to all e-readers. Additionally, the most popular e-readers also have free computer apps so you can read your books there as well.

(The one exception to this is the Nook, which has free apps for Apple computers/pads and Android [i.e. smartphones] but not for any earlier version of Windows than Windows 8, since they're "partners" with Microsoft and are trying to coerce people to "upgrade." For this reason I currently buy books for my Nook Color primarily from Kobo, whose books are in the same basic format but just need to have the DRM cracked to be side-loadable on the Nook Color. DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, which means copy protection. And a recent Supreme Court decision says that breaking it for the purpose of reading on multiple devices is fair use under copyright law; it's only illegal if you're doing it to illegally share the book with someone who hasn't paid for it.)

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I don't read books about cats. I've never thought about it really. I seem to think that it would either be a children's book or one that is breed specific- one of them "learnin' type books" :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I don't read books about cats. I've never thought about it really. I seem to think that it would either be a children's book or one that is breed specific- one of them "learnin' type books" :lol:
While those books do exist, there's a lot of feline fiction (several mystery series that feature feline detectives; feline magic users, familiars, and/or wizards; even the adventures of fairly ordinary house cats learning to deal with technology) and the top non-fiction cat book is Homer's Odyssey, by Gwen Cooper, about a blind cat who is incredible.

Margret

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I recently listened to Sabriel (Abhorsen Series) by Garth Nix as an audiobook. I think what made the cat in the story (Moggett) come to life was the amazing narration by Tim Curry.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When trying to pick up French again I asked this site for cat related novels and then I'd try buy the translations - I managed to get quite a few and have loved reading through them (this is still an ongoing process!). I bought some in English also. Poor Scraggles had to put up with being photographed with each and every book delivery - he got fairly sick of it as you can probably see from the third photo... :crazy: :greenpaw:

IMG_20170718_110011.jpg
IMG_20170718_123558.jpg
IMG_20170731_184944.jpg

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read a couple when I was younger here are some of my favorites Warriors by Erin Hunter, Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin she wrote 3 other books to cat wings return, Jane on her own, and wonderful Alexander and the Catwings. I've haven't read all the warrior books I want to finish the series though it's very exciting. I've read Catwings and Catwings Return the others I didn't know existed until I just now searched for the others name. I will definitely be reading them soon.