Do you have fruit growing where you live?

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, you guys are killing me! I've always wanted to grow citrus and avocado trees, but up here in Planting Zone 5 (the middle of Canada), it just ain't gonna happen. But we're enjoying corn, beans, zucchini and tomatoes right now, and I'm harvesting and drying lavender from my little front garden. We had wonderful strawberries earlier this summer, but since the spring was so cold, the season only lasted a couple of weeks; now we're back to California ones again.

Purple mulberry poop! Hee hee hee...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mangos!! Covet! Covet! Covet!

Our garden is on the small side, and a rental property at that, so we haven't messed with it too much. But we do plant tomatoes (cherry tomatoes "garden candy") every year and they are awesome. Also scarlet runner beans, which I love.

There's a small patch of rhubarb that was there when we moved in, and most years we get a few good feeds off it, though this year, for some reason, it was mostly pretty scrawny, so we haven't had much.

There's a tree in the corner that my husband thinks is a quince. If I were more into preserving, I'd do some research to see if it really is and then make jam. But we don't eat much jam and stuff, so there's not much point. The flowers sure are pretty in the spring, though!

I grow herbs in window boxes and pots on the back porch, and love to pick them fresh when I'm cooking. We also have five hanging baskets of nasturtiums, which are wonderful to dress up a salad or decorate a special dinner plate.

Other than that, it's flowers and shrubs and stuff. Rob's the one with the green thumb, and he does most of the gardening.