Do You Have A Litter Box On Every Floor?

Do you have litter boxes on more than one floor of your home?

• No

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Only for kittens/seniors/ill cats

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Somebody asked me that question yesterday and was surprised when I said no, since most cat care guides/experts recommend it.

Normally we have a jumbo litter box upstairs for a healthy adult cat, because I've always figured that they need the exercise that climbing the stairs gives them. We've only had an additional litter box downstairs when we've had a kitten, elderly, or ill cat, or temporarily when work was being done on the house (replacement windows or a new roof) that might frighten the cat.

Both our last cat and our current one only use(d) one box as healthy adults, so the second box was put away.

How about you?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats ranging from 2 years old to 15. For the comfort of the older ones, I have beds and boxes on every level of the house. I also have high sided and low sided boxes - it makes a difference to an older cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one litterbox inside, and one out in the garage. But we will probably put the one in the garage down cellar when it gets colder. It's a big old house with just one floor plus the basement, no upstairs.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 boxes on the main floor of our bungalow. Right now our boys are young and agile. In latter years we may well add another box downstairs......heck ive been thinking of having a bathroom put in down stairs for me lol.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the guest house now thankfully bereft of cats - despite the fact that two (Black Friday and Clawed-Ya) are semi-sequestered, and Newest Kitty (Miro) is still in her own suite - I've cut back from fourteen to twelve boxes for eleven cats, divided six upstairs and six downstairs. My two oldest - Peanut and Lance - still traverse the stairs easily despite both being over 20, so the "one box more than the number of kitties" rule is working well here so far.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep two boxes for my two. They are both upstairs--one in the bathroom and one in the spare bedroom.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have never had boxes on different floors and it's worked ok for us. I guess it's like the old saying, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." :wink:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a ranch style house; so only one floor to put boxes on. We have 2 and they are in the laundry room which is pretty central to where the girls spend most of their time.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a fairly large old farmhouse. I have one cat and an upstairs and downstairs litterbox. She is young and wouldn't really need that at this point, but we have a door at the bottom of the steps that is sometimes closed, although she can open it, and a baby gate at the top of the stairs that is sometimes closed so keep our tiny dachshund from trying to go down. Ailish is able to shapeshift through the baby gate. (She turns herself into water, I swear I saw her do it.) I'd just rather have two because I don't have to worry if she has access.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No! I have one for the tabby and it's outside (screened in back porch). Accessible via pet door.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. we have a multi floor home and all the boxes have been on the lowest floor. In the mudroom area. We took 2 kittens in this summer and had a litter box upstarts for them. When they were integrated into the home I left it upstairs as we turned that room into a cat room. It gets used im pretty sure only by the 2 kittens. I only need to scoop it once a day. I scoop the other 3, 2-3 times a day. Even the kittens seem to use the ones downstairs more often.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one floor, two cats (indoors), two litter boxes, one at each end of the house. Not sure if the outdoor feral ever became an indoor cat, where I would put another box. Right now each of my house cats prefers to use a different box, so they don't share.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My apartment is all on one level, but I have litter boxes in different areas so they won't have to go too far to use it. They're all perfectly capable of walking the distance of the living space, but I figure it encourages good behavior if they don't have to make much effort.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't lived in a multi-floor home for many years, but my parents used to always just have the litter box in the basement, even in the 3-floor PMQ we lived in for a while. Kittens and young healthy cats had no issue making the trek down to the box. I'm not sure how the cats would have done with such a setup when they got older, as they spent their elder years in single-floor accommodations. I have a feeling some seniors would either refuse or be unable to go so far.