Do you clean your cat's ears?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the ones that need the occasional cleaning - damp cloth/paper towel or Q-tips (note: I have many years of using q-tips for this and know how to do this safely. This is not something for someone who hasn't done it before to try.)

I've not had them get so filthy, yet, that I need anything else.

Were you ever able to talk to the vet about it and get a good cleaner? I know you've been concerned with this for a while and if you haven't done that, yet, it would be the least troublesome route for you.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have a regular ear cleanser recommended by our vet. I want to say it's called Epi-Otic, but I'm not sure and I'm at work.

Banshee had terrible ears and they needed to be cleaned about every week to ten days. I would hold her in my arms, while DH cleaned her ears. He would moisten a large cotton ball with the cleanser and wipe out her ears with the cotton. Sometimes it took two or three balls for each ear, although her left ear always seemed worse than her right one.

With the other cats, if we see one doing some scratching or digging, we'll check ears and, just to be on the safe side, we'll clean them out. But it's not a weekly thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I cleaned Dusty's the other day with the cleaner left over from her bad infection. I was able to get some in both ears and I massaged it in. I used a few cotton balls and tried to wipe out the visible gunk, but I didn't get it all before she lost her patience.

My other cat Squeak is strong as a bull, and there is no way she is going to let me look. She's also black, so it's hard to see if she has any build-up. I think I'll have to have the vet do it.

I need a kitty straight jacket! It should be made of some material that they can't sink their claws into. Any suggestions?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - since I show the cats EVERYTHING is clean
I usually use a q-tip carefully before the bath and clip nails - then they get their bath.

Since I've been doing this for a LONG time, I can hold the cat still in my lap and head still and do the ears. But I know how to hold the head to keep the cat "frozen" so that the q-tip won't go too far.

If you are not used to cleaning ears, I suggest using a cotton ball instead.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I need a kitty straight jacket! It should be made of some material that they can't sink their claws into. Any suggestions?
They make restraint bags for cats. I've always been able to manage with a thick towel if I have to use something, but Carolina has one and can recommend which to get and from where.

Since it sounds like neither are tolerant cats you'll just have to stick to ear cleaning solutions and wiping the ears out. But as I mentioned to you before, even a damp (with cleaning solution) paper towel and your finger can get quite a bit out.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do them all before a show, even the cats not going. I use unscented baby wipes, flip the ears 'inside out' and wipe. Mine are all trained from a young age to accept being handled in all sorts of ways which makes grooming or nail clipping much easier.