Do you believe in De-clawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I honestly cannot understand how ANYONE could be pro-declawing. That just boggles my mind. If folks don't want pets with claws and can't be bothered to properly train them to use appropriate scratching posts and surfaces, then don't get a cat. To get a cat and then mutilate it for their own selfish benefit causes me to see red and makes me extremely sad for those poor cats.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And I bet the cats who have been butchered don't think any of the studies LDG posted are "irrelevant". I wish declawing was banned in the U.S. except for medical necessity.

purplerosesgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not like I am one to say "GO GET YOUR CAT DECLAWED NOW!!", but my cat is only declawed in her front paws. She had it done when she was young, so it wasnt *quite* as stressful.

This actually saved her life. She got out of the house(shes an indoor cat) and the dogs next door started "playing" with her. If she had scratched them, they would have killed her. I know that declawing is painful and stressful operation that handicaps your cat but still.... If my baby had had her claws.... she wouldnt be here right now...

Keep things like this in mind when you talk about declawing

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by purplerosesgirl

It's not like I am one to say "GO GET YOUR CAT DECLAWED NOW!!", but my cat is only declawed in her front paws. She had it done when she was young, so it wasnt *quite* as stressful.

This actually saved her life. She got out of the house(shes an indoor cat) and the dogs next door started "playing" with her. If she had scratched them, they would have killed her. I know that declawing is painful and stressful operation that handicaps your cat but still.... If my baby had had her claws.... she wouldnt be here right now...

Do you honestly believe that "only" declawing the front paws is less painful? Do you honestly believe that because she was young she felt less pain and stress? If you really believe that then IMO you are wearing rose-coloured glasses.

If she had her claws and the dogs started "playing" with her, one good scratch and the dogs would have run away so that argument doesn't even hold water. Cats are very good at protecting themselves against domestic dogs, in fact dogs are often frightened of cats because they do have claws and can scratch if threatened.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do understand what you are trying to say. However, in most cases, those claws SAVE lives, not the other way around. What if the dogs were not so cat-friendly? Was there a tree nearby she couldn't climb to escape?

To me, and this is just my opinion, there is no reason, other than medical emergency (deformity, injury and so forth) to mutilate a cat's paws.

Edit: Years ago, before I understood what the procedure was, if I had the money, I may have had this done to one of my cats. Heaven knows there was so much I was uneducated about. Pet owners always want to do what is best for their pets and if everyone is doing it and the vet recommends it, then I can see how so many people make this choice- kind of like peer pressure almost. Luckily, today we have the Internet and access to much more information that before. None of our pets have to go through this

purplerosesgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Do you honestly believe that "only" declawing the front paws is less painful? Do you honestly believe that because she was young she felt less pain and stress? If you really believe that then IMO you are wearing rose-coloured glasses.

If she had her claws and the dogs started "playing" with her, one good scratch and the dogs would have run away so that argument doesn't even hold water. Cats are very good at protecting themselves against domestic dogs, in fact dogs are often frightened of cats because they do have claws and can scratch if threatened.
No I don't.
But it wasnt my choice to get her declawed. I think It's an awful thing to do.
The dogs,by the way, are pit bulls, and they mauled her up pretty bad without realizing how bad they were hurting her.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No I don't.
The dogs,by the way, are pit bulls, and they mauled her up pretty bad without realizing how bad they were hurting her.
What I was trying to say (and I guess I didn't say it very well) is that if your cat had not been declawed, she would have clawed the dogs and they would have backed off, hence she would not have been mauled pretty bad.

I'm also glad to see that it wasn't your choice which gives me hope.

purplerosesgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I do understand what you are trying to say. However, in most cases, those claws SAVE lives, not the other way around. What if the dogs were not so cat-friendly? Was there a tree nearby she couldn't climb to escape?

To me, and this is just my opinion, there is no reason, other than medical emergency (deformity, injury and so forth) to mutilate a cat's paws.
There may have been, but since I was away at the time it happened, and my mom told me, I don't know the details. There is a tree in my neighbour's yard, but would my fat cat have had enough time to run away from two pitbulls and climb into a tree?

I have no clue.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No I don't.
Dog breed has LITTLE to do with it! In fact, a lab or some other retriever would have been more likely to kill you cat. If the dogs wanted to kill her they would have, claws might have stopped them and as someone else said, one swipe with a clawed paw to the nose and most dogs turn tail and run.

purplerosesgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Dog breed has LITTLE to do with it! In fact, a lab or some other retriever would have been more likely to kill you cat. If the dogs wanted to kill her they would have, claws might have stopped them and as someone else said, one swipe with a clawed paw to the nose and most dogs turn tail and run.
I know breed has little to do with it, but if cassie REALLY needed to defend herself, she still has her back claws and can kick if she has to (and she still has her teeth) so its not like shes completely defenseless

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purplerosesgirl, I don't know if you took the time to read through this whole thread. It's a poll, so it's fun to vote and easy to just pop in an post an opinion.

If you haven't taken the time to read through the whole thing, when you have time to do it, please do. There is so much information about declawing here. Unfortunately, many people think the procedure is "just" removing the claws. In fact, the entire end of each toe needs to be removed, and cats walk on their toes, so they are forced to walk unnaturally. That is just one fact about declawing - and it's something almost no one that has their cats declawed even knows.

While most of us are anti-declaw, and The Cat Site's official position is anti-declaw, the most important thing is to help educate people as to the process, and the possible complications and problems (and scratching solutions!) so that even people that have had declawed kitties then chose never to declaw another cat.

Laurie

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I know breed has little to do with it, but if cassie REALLY needed to defend herself, she still has her back claws and can kick if she has to (and she still has her teeth) so its not like shes completely defenseless
And how does a cat that is sitting down or standing up manage to use its back legs to kick? Your cat will have to lay on the ground and expose its throat..not to mention in a very bad position. Not trying to argue, but I just can't picture it in my head without putting the cat in more of a vulnerable state than its already in.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TOTALLY opposed to the concept. It is banned in SA, and when we lived in Europe it was also totally unheard of. What really irks me is when I read about people who would like to have their cats' declawed so as to avoid cat scratching furniture. DON'T GET A CAT! Might as well have a stuffed toy instead.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mind is just blown by this thread. Never in my life would I think a vet to say that declawing was okay... My vet does declaws, but if he was to make as big of a stink out of it as you do I wouldn't be there...

I just can't understand why causing pain to the poor kitty would help anything.

Ive said it before on this thread and Ill say it again.

IF MY KIDS WERE SCATCHING ME WOULD I RAMOVE THEIR FINGERS??? NO!! THEY WRECK THE FURNITURE ALL THE TIME?? SHOULD I GIVE THEM AWAY?? IF MY KIDS BITE ME, SHOULD I REMOVE ALL THEIR TEETH?? I DONT THINK SO.

If they wanted a pet without claws they should have got a snake.

There are better ways to do things!

Like that guy in SD that got whacked by a cows tail, he removed all of his cows tails! Was that really necessary? Now that none of them can swat flies and they all died I dont think he'll likely do it again.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

My mind is just blown away by this thread.

I agree.
It is inconceivable to me that anyone could still justify de-clawing a cat after reading this.

IF MY KIDS WERE SCATCHING ME WOULD I RAMOVE THEIR FINGERS??? NO!! THEY WRECK THE FURNITURE ALL THE TIME?? SHOULD I GIVE THEM AWAY?? IF MY KIDS BITE ME, SHOULD I REMOVE ALL THEIR TEETH?? I DONT THINK SO.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Furniture is a thing, and is replacable. Children & cats aren't

If they wanted a pet without claws they should have got a snake.

~KK~

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently in training to be a vet and until I joined this site, I didn't know exactly what a declawing really entailed. Now I have learned a lot about it and when I am a vet, declawing is one procedure that I absolutely will not do unless it is medically necessary. If someone asks me to declaw their cat just so their furniture won't get damaged or something trivial like that, I will first offer them alternative solutions (scratching posts, Soft Paws, etc.) and if they still want it done, I will tell them to go home and cut off the tips of their fingers and toes at the knuckle and see how it feels. I am absolutely 110% anti-declaw. As long as I have a breath in my body, I will educate people on declawing and fight to have it abolished worldwide.

zenoah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find it quite sad...
What if your cat needed to climb to save it's life? It cant if it's claws are gone! Even if your cat is indoors, there is a risk that it can escape...
So...Im agiesnt it.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, apparently cats can climb, slowly, a little, even if their claws are gone (it qualifies more as "jumping", though). But that may not be enough to save its life, especially if it ends up with something like a big tree where claws are the only way to climb.

I don't see the trouble with cats having claws, anyway. What's so bad about a few scratching posts and a little training? Initially Baby Girl would scratch nothing but the (new) carpet, as she'd had no decent post in her previous home... all I had to do was get her a special carpet sample, just for her, rub it with catnip, feed her treats on it, and now she uses that. A little catnip, a little training... honestly, what in the world is so hard about it?

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voted NO. It amazes (more accurately sickens) me how common it still is in Canada. When I took my 5-month old kitten to a new vet for her shots they commented "oh, she's been declawed" because she was so gentle and didn't scratch. They were surprised she still had her claws, I think a lot of vets will do a "2 for 1" deal when they spay or neuter them
I've trimmed my cats' claws and taught them to use a scratching post from day one and have never had a problem with them. I think a lot of people don't fully understand what it entails but I try to educate whenever possible !!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Takes off Mod hat) Is anyone else as tired of declawing threads as I am. What is there to debate? It's a horrific thing to do to a beloved pet, unless there is a real medical issue involved. This is one horse that is being beaten to death IMO!

If anyone wants information on de-clawing there are several stickies to go to that will give all the information why it should never be done. The TCS rules are posted stating we are anti-declawing and everyone is supposed to read these rules when registering so I don't understand why these types of threads keep getting started which in turn brings about the anger and tirades. It is so tiring.

OK - rant over and mod hat back on.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(Takes off Mod hat) Is anyone else as tired of declawing threads as I am. What is there to debate? It's a horrific thing to do to a beloved pet, unless there is a real medical issue involved. This is one horse that is being beaten to death IMO!

If anyone wants information on de-clawing there are several stickies to go to that will give all the information why it should never be done. The TCS rules are posted stating we are anti-declawing and everyone is supposed to read these rules when registering so I don't understand why these types of threads keep getting started which in turn brings about the anger and tirades. It is so tiring.

OK - rant over and mod hat back on.
I think they may get restarted because there are people who don't realize what declawing is and would never think to do research or click on a link about it. Many just trust the vet. Here, when someone sees it pop up under "new posts" then the curiosity is engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.