Do you always have to transition cats to a new dry food slowly?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or is that only if they tend to not eat the new food if you just switched it suddenly?

My last cat had FLUTD and I'd read that transitioning them slowly held reduce the re-occurrence of a UTI. I don't think it really did anything to help her not get UTIs, tbh.

So just wondering if this is really necessary for health reasonings or if it's more to do with potentially snubbing the food.

(Mods, not sure if this belongs in nutrition or health.)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Or is that only if they tend to not eat the new food if you just switched it suddenly?

My last cat had FLUTD and I'd read that transitioning them slowly held reduce the re-occurrence of a UTI. I don't think it really did anything to help her not get UTIs, tbh.

So just wondering if this is really necessary for health reasonings or if it's more to do with potentially snubbing the food.

(Mods, not sure if this belongs in nutrition or health.)
Some cats are fussy and some are not. Some enjoy any flavor or texture type and some don't. Those whose cats that are not fussy can adapt to change of food easily while others may not accept it.

Also, slow transition gives the cat's digestive system a chance to switch over without much problems. Too fast a transition may result in the cat not eating/accepting the new food and also new food may cause tummy upsets and gives them the run.

Best is to slowly introduce the food over to them in small portions and see if they like the taste or change and move on from there as you can see how the cat's reaction is to the new food. Mix a small portion of new food to the old food and if your cat is pk with the taste, slowly mix in more new than old and eventually you have switched your cat over to the new food.

For UTI, besides medication, hydrate them more by feeding wet food and adding a tablespoon full of filtered water and mixed it up with the food for them. Keep them well hydrated to avoid UTI.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never heard of slowly transitioning food to help avoid UTIs, but definitely to help avoid diarrhea. As stated above, for UTI avoidance, hydration, hydration, hydration.

To avoid diarrhea and possible food avoidance, slowly transition food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The slow transition is so that there won't be food refusal later.

A fast transition means more likely to have tummy upset which in turn can lead to food refusal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Secondary question: does this apply to new brand only, or should it be done even with flavor switches within same brand?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Secondary question: does this apply to new brand only, or should it be done even with flavor switches within same brand?
As long as there is a change, be it brands or flavors of the same brand, transition is a must, even though if your cats are not picky and they eat anything. This is to avoid tummy upsets.