Do you agree that this is bacterial or is it ringworm?

ericanf18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I adopted my cat on 3/15/20 from the Animal Defense League. He is FIV+ and was previously a stray so I believe he’s just purging from his street life since we’ve had a few health issues (congestion, tapeworm). Now he has an ear infection that was diagnosed after I brought him in for a scab on his lower neck/shoulder area. I’m attaching a picture. It looks big but it’s a little bigger than the size of a penny. They said it was from scratching and had gotten infected and was due to his ear infection and him trying to get to his ear. He hasn’t scratched since he’s been to the vet at all. They gave him a covenia injection and then gave me chlorhex pads and told me to clean it daily and put neosporin on it. I’m just paranoid that it is possibly ringworm even though it doesn’t fit the exact profile. It has fur in the middle, does not itch, and isn’t getting bigger but also isn’t getting smaller. They shaved the area so now I’m noticing some redness around it but I’m wondering if it’s from the clippers. I’m posting here to ask: do you agree that it’s bacterial or do you think I need to take him back for a ringworm test? I’m so paranoid! Thank you!!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericanf18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edit: he is 5 years old!
5B9E90CE-E053-4B78-8D49-1DC20C0CEDE5.jpeg

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
To me it looks like psoriasis, but I’m not sure cats get that. My oldest son had that when he was very young. It was diagnosed as ringworm but was eventually diagnosed as milk allergy. I hope you figure it out 😐

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if it’s ringworm but I understand your concerns. It doesn’t sound like it too much.

I just adopted a rescue kitty that was having skin issues on her nose and went a head a tested for ringworm just because I wanted to make sure. It’s just a piece of mind at this point. I had to avoid touching her and washed my hands even MORE and kept her far away from my resident cat but I was also worried about my husband and I getting it if it was.

Luckily she was negative and it was more with her congestion from the shelter.

I hope you get answers. If it’s not spreading it May be nothing. Good luck! I feel your pain