Do People Have Hobbies Here?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to like doing that because I could focus on the task at hand to the exclusion of everything else- sort of a decompression. Besides, when I was done, I had a neat model that I could operate on my still-to-be-built layout.

I have some still to be built things too! Lol I built a miniature orchid village. 2’x14’ for an orchid society to be used to display at shows. Each year I added a 2’ square section. It had a greenhouse with hundreds of miniature orchids and all needed accessories. It was electrified and landscaped. From there I added a laboratory, a store, a potting shed. a gazebo, a jungle trail and a waterfall with running water and birds, animals, insects, reptiles etc. I finally stopped building because it took two vans to transport it. Lol I imagine your layout would be similar to build. I built 1”=1’

I did build more greenhouses to be sold to benefit orchid charities. I got the same pleasure that you describe. Hobbies can be very relaxing.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess my #1 hobby is allowing our cats to train me to do their bidding. :biggrin:

When I'm not serving the kitties, my hobbies are:
- playing music (drums, bass guitar and modular synthesizer)
- listening to music
- model trains (O gauge and G gauge)
- computers (most of my career was in IT and even in retirement we have about 12 computers around the house)
- shooting at our local gun range
I'm also well known in our neighborhood for our large outdoor, computer-controlled Christmas display.

My wife and I also do ceramics. She tends to make things for around our pool, and I mostly make Christmas-related items. I have done 2 ceramic cats which are by the pool.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had many hobbies over the years. I dabble in art. I do best with pencil drawing and have dabbled in oil paints (have not done in years tho...). I love photography (especially macro). I am a musician and play guitar doing mostly old country music but I also like some Jim Croce and 60s rock. I have a ham radio station set up but have not messed with it in a while. Used to golf as well. Age and health have stopped me doing a lot of things....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've always liked reading, and have a book on the go, at all times. These days, however, my "book" is on an e-reader, as I borrow e-books from the library, which is very convenient. To other avid readers, if you haven't already, do check out our All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019 thread. :read:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be an advanced dancer in country western and west coast swing. Then the studio shut down so I have no where else to go that's drivable. At home I have 3-25 pd dumbells,step,high step,stability ball, pushup bar, bands,medicine balls, tons of dvds

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What hobbies do you do in your spare time. I used to do photography and editing photos. I need new ideas.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of arty people here! Another one joining the ranks :)

My hobbies are:

reading, mostly sci fi, fantasy and horror though will read most things
writing
pet portraits - can't paint worth a damn but really like pencil (graphite or colour) and occasionally pastels
horse riding every week - don't have my own horse sadly
singing (badly lol)
keeping tropical fish

And of course, pampering the cats :)

Going to have some piano lessons in the new year as always wanted to try. Would love to try the harp but don't even know how to find anyone who teaches that!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of arty people here! Another one joining the ranks :)

My hobbies are:

reading, mostly sci fi, fantasy and horror though will read most things
writing
pet portraits - can't paint worth a damn but really like pencil (graphite or colour) and occasionally pastels
horse riding every week - don't have my own horse sadly
singing (badly lol)
keeping tropical fish

And of course, pampering the cats :)

Going to have some piano lessons in the new year as always wanted to try. Would love to try the harp but don't even know how to find anyone who teaches that!
Michele, my wife, would kill to be able to ride horses again, but all of the riding stables within 50 miles of us closed years ago.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Michele, my wife, would kill to be able to ride horses again, but all of the riding stables within 50 miles of us closed years ago.
Aha, I've figured out how to quote. Yay!

That's a shame :( There are two or three in my local area but more and more close due to rate hikes and insurance costs. People don't seem to accept that, at the end of the day, it's a risk sport and that you're riding a 1200lb animal with its own mind. :/.

I'm lucky enough to be able to ride my instructor's retired dressage competition horse (huge great Warmblood). He is just gorgeous. If he would fit in my car I would steal him lol.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aha, I've figured out how to quote. Yay!

That's a shame :( There are two or three in my local area but more and more close due to rate hikes and insurance costs. People don't seem to accept that, at the end of the day, it's a risk sport and that you're riding a 1200lb animal with its own mind. :/.

I'm lucky enough to be able to ride my instructor's retired dressage competition horse (huge great Warmblood). He is just gorgeous. If he would fit in my car I would steal him lol.
That's what happened here. Property taxes and insurance costs drove them out of business.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is an example of a locomotive I built around 20 years ago.View attachment 287444
I used to do a lot of model railroad stuff. Mostly custom painting and detailing, a few dioramas and all. These I combined with some of the photo editing I've done.
CO3909-storm.jpg
CO3909-wktrn_color.jpg
8004-7011rs.jpg

I may get into it again some day. Recently I've taken up wood carving with a Dremel or two. Pictures of that whenever I think it's picture worthy. lol

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do a lot of model railroad stuff. Mostly custom painting and detailing, a few dioramas and all. These I combined with some of the photo editing I've done. View attachment 313718View attachment 313719View attachment 313720
I may get into it again some day. Recently I've taken up wood carving with a Dremel or two. Pictures of that whenever I think it's picture worthy. lol
I used to build the craftsman-style wooden structure kits for my late father's layout, as well as painting and detailing locomotives and rolling stock. Since his passing, there has been little incentive to continue, and looking at the eye-popping prices of the stuff today further tamps down the desire to get back into model railroading.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
looking at the eye-popping prices of the stuff today further tamps down the desire to get back into model railroading.
That's the truth. A buddy of mine is still into it and the prices he pays for some of the stuff is insane. He can afford it as he works as an engineer for a local RR and gets a lot of over time. But 40$ for a single freight car now? Pass. If I get back into it at all it'll be with what I have left.