Do Mama Cats Suffer Post Partium Depression Once Kitties Get Bigger?

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know this is sort of a stupid question, but do mama cats suffer post partium depression once kitties get bigger, they are a little over a month old. Chatty is a beautiful stray/feral cat we found each other while I was taking pictures of the moon in October. Since then she had the most beautiful sweet babies all 4 of them. I never knew she was pregnant, but Love them all. I haven't let Chatty out and won't until she gets fixed, but she is an amazing mama cat Love listening to her talk to babies, and they mind there mama that's for sure. But now that they are getting bigger and SO good Litter Box trained, eating some solid foods but Chatty still nurses them. They love to play to but the saddest thing last night. Kitties all playing together and Chatty too running around but the kitties playing more together then with her included.

Chatty kept trying to play with them and they did the OH MOM bit like when your mom would dig the napkin or kleenex out of her purse to wipe your face kinda deal. So Chatty then was carrying around a ball of yarn that they all have been playing with and trying to get the children to play Nahhhhhh run run run. So Chatty laid on an area rug minding the babies still trying to get their attention. The babies were all in my room so I had a little talk with them doubt it did any good but they would see chatty for a little and back to playtime with them. Chatty got one of the balls with jingle bells in it and was trying to get their attention. NOPE, so she kept laying on the rug and moving like she wanted them to nurse and no one would come over and she looked and seemed so sad and hurt I almost started crying too. Instead I picked her up and told her I loved her. But she still seemed lost without her babies always being right with her. They still come to her and they play still, but it was so so sad to watch that.

Is this normal? What can I do, this is tearing me up too cross posted to other sites

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In another month or so she'll want to get rid of them! ;) (but don't give them to new homes until they're at least 10 weeks old, 12 weeks is better). She may go into heat again soon, too, so keep a very close eye on her so she doesn't sneak out. They're at the age where a they want to do is play and pounce, and maybe not listen to mom, lol. She'll be fine, and like I said, by the time they're ready for new homes, she might be tired of them anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In another month or so she'll want to get rid of them! ;) (but don't give them to new homes until they're at least 10 weeks old, 12 weeks is better). She may go into heat again soon, too, so keep a very close eye on her so she doesn't sneak out. They're at the age where a they want to do is play and pounce, and maybe not listen to mom, lol. She'll be fine, and like I said, by the time they're ready for new homes, she might be tired of them anyway.
Thank you so much Willowy, and i watch the door better then any guard dog as far as going in and out, I even got smart while carrying in a lot of groceries i look in and open the door a little and always knock first get back get back and open it a crack and slide in. It's great because I have panel doors in my house so I will shut them in the living room or bedroom til finshed bringing things in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It wont be called for post partum - because post partum is the delivery depression.

They can get depressions, especielly when when kittens leave to their new homes, they often do mourn.

Also, when kittens begin to be indenpendent, they can get upset.

But depressed? Maybe.
I want to say: look out. Being "depressed" may be a sign of something going on, some infection or other health trouble. If you notice any more sign of being sick, take her to your vet for a check up.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a mother with 9 kittens and she is very vigilant and loves them to death and very or I should say overly protective of them. Now that they are older trust me she will be ready for them to be out of her sight lol. I agree with both the posters above. Although, mother cats can be hormonal I don't think she will be depressed per say unless something else may be going on. But from what you describe it doesn't sound like that but keep an eye on her for any other symptoms.

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It wont be called for post partum - because post partum is the delivery depression.

They can get depressions, especielly when when kittens leave to their new homes, they often do mourn.

Also, when kittens begin to be indenpendent, they can get upset.

But depressed? Maybe.
I want to say: look out. Being "depressed" may be a sign of something going on, some infection or other health trouble. If you notice any more sign of being sick, take her to your vet for a check up.
Thank you stefanz, I think it is more them becoming independent more then anything and I get sad seeing that too when she tries so hard to get their attention and all they want to do is play, explore, play play with each other. I also think since I 'we' rescued each other and she wants to show her babies how to hunt perhaps, because I know a stray we (my family when i was in high school) took in and her babies when she showed her kiddos how to hunt it was summer/fall then so that wasn't a big deal to let them out into the backyard. I also think is hormoannnnnnnnnnnal too a bit especially heartbreaking when the DADDY cats have come around back to see her, I won't let her out except in my enclosed sun-room and that is heartbreaking too.

Last edited:

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a mother with 9 kittens and she is very vigilant and loves them to death and very or I should say overly protective of them. Now that they are older trust me she will be ready for them to be out of her sight lol. I agree with both the posters above. Although, mother cats can be hormonal I don't think she will be depressed per say unless something else may be going on. But from what you describe it doesn't sound like that but keep an eye on her for any other symptoms.
I agree and thank you for your comments and I always keep a close eye on Chatty and the babies. Like I said I think that she just wants to go out back but I won't let her til she gets fixed, then a friend told me to not let her out even after she gets fixed bc the other cats will try to kill her, so WHAT that has me floored too. There are so many strays/feral cats around me. There is a quarry not far from here where many live

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are always risks to letting a cat go outside. But it's unlikely the other cats will hurt her if she was friendly with them before.
That sure is a relief to hear. I sure hope that is the case for sure! Chatty seems happier because all of the babies are having one on one time with her to just chilling looking out the windows in the sun room. I set up like folding chairs closer so the babies can see better too.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I highly doubt the other cats will try to kill her especially if she was friendly and known to them before. Of course , there are always risk but at the same time I want my babies to be happy too and some just aren't happy if they cannot set a foot on grass you know. Some are fine but others need the fresh air. I would just watch how they act but that would be my least worry. Of course, there may be one bully cat around that you have to watch out for but as far as ganging up and what not ... No. Highly unlikely. But yes be careful until she gets fixed though!

CHATTY KATTY HOME

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I highly doubt the other cats will try to kill her especially if she was friendly and known to them before. Of course , there are always risk but at the same time I want my babies to be happy too and some just aren't happy if they cannot set a foot on grass you know. Some are fine but others need the fresh air. I would just watch how they act but that would be my least worry. Of course, there may be one bully cat around that you have to watch out for but as far as ganging up and what not ... No. Highly unlikely. But yes be careful until she gets fixed though!
Thank you and that is such good news to hear. Thank goodness I have an enclosed sunroom that she really loves to sit in, in fact all the kitties love it. I'd open a window but to cold and frozen shut. When I would let her out prior to having babies she always pretty much stuck around the back yard climbing trees or within eye sight in the neighboring yard. I'm just worried about her running off to the woods behind me or even scarier running out across a very busy road. I always give every and anyone that comes over knock on the door and say back before slowly opening the door because I don't want to chase chatty or her getting out or even one of the babies now. YIKES