Do Littermats Even Work?

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got Spencer, my aunt got me two big litter mat that look like rugs but they are littermats. I use them along with the little round little amounts on top that had the cat paw print on them. Spencer must be really messy because there is a litter that goes everywhere in both rooms. I’ve never had a cat so messy. I ended up vacuuming a couple times a day. So my question is, are there any litter mats that work better than the ones I’m describing? Or do I just have a messy cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I really like the one shaped like a big paw print so I'm thinking your kitty is having a lot of litter either actually sticking to his feet or getting caught inbetween his toes, or something.

You might want to consider a different type of litter? Something that has smaller grains maybe? I'm mixing littermaid's walnut (seems like it's getting hard to find but that might be - hopefully temporary due to them changing where the product is sold) with clumping clay. My boy has very long fur on his feet and he's a vigorous digger but there's not a lot of litter scattered around, and that litter mat seems to help as well.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So my question is, are there any litter mats that work better than the ones I’m describing? Or do I just have a messy cat?
Honestly speaking, litter mats are good for demure cats that comes out of the litter box slowly, but you still get maybe a slight litter trail as litter get stuck in between their paws and as they walk, they fall off, especially for those small grained litter.

Litter mats like those mentioned with paw prints is just like some of our cars mat. It have a woven texture to catch the litter. But I find those heavy and troublesome as I have to bring up the whole mat to shake off whatever litter is caught in it. I actually have four of those and washing and drying them takes quite a while.

IMG_3730.JPG

My boy is a digger and also he likes to roll in the litter box and when he's excited, he jumps out and kick lots of litter out and I called that act 'Milky Way' as litter are all over the place. So I got rid of those and I put two rugs or mats, see how you call it to catch the litter.

IMG_4040-photo-full.jpg

So most 'Milky Way' litter will fall on the mats, some spilling over to the floor and also tracks around the house. I still have to pick up the litter even with the mats there.

I thought of them since with or without them, I still have to pick up and clean up, so might as well don't have them and don't have to clean them. And with ams, it's easy to step on the litter and they become dust and get embedded I the mat. So the mat needs vacuuming.
One good thing is that the mats slow down the litter from rolling faster and further. To me, not much of a difference as I mentioned, I still have to pick up the litter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly speaking, litter mats are good for demure cats that comes out of the litter box slowly, but you still get maybe a slight litter trail as litter get stuck in between their paws and as they walk, they fall off, especially for those small grained litter.

Litter mats like those mentioned with paw prints is just like some of our cars mat. It have a woven texture to catch the litter. But I find those heavy and troublesome as I have to bring up the whole mat to shake off whatever litter is caught in it. I actually have four of those and washing and drying them takes quite a while.

View attachment 286818

My boy is a digger and also he likes to roll in the litter box and when he's excited, he jumps out and kick lots of litter out and I called that act 'Milky Way' as litter are all over the place. So I got rid of those and I put two rugs or mats, see how you call it to catch the litter.

View attachment 286819

So most 'Milky Way' litter will fall on the mats, some spilling over to the floor and also tracks around the house. I till have to pick up take litter with the mats there.

I thought of them since with or without them, I still have to pick up and clean up, so might as well don't have them and don't have to clean them. And with ams, it's easy to step on the litter and they become dust and get embedded I the mat. So the mat needs vacuuming.
One good thing is that the mats slow down the litter from rolling faster and further. To me, not much of a difference as I mentioned, I still have to pick up the litter.
Spencer is a digger too and a kitten...maybe when he’s a bit older he won’t be so messy...I don’t want to change his litter..I’ve used Tidy Cats since the year 2000...I just have a messy little guy this time...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Spencer is a digger too and a kitten...maybe when he’s a bit older he won’t be so messy...I don’t want to change his litter..I’ve used Tidy Cats since the year 2000...I just have a messy little guy this time...
I've not change litter to any other brands since the first day my boy came home. He's a digger since he was young till now and I get the 'Milky Way' when he's all excited and jumped out of the litter box. Other than that, he'll walk out slowly or jump out gracefully but still there are some litter the follows or while he's digging or rolling in it.

That's my boy! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had a litter mat that worked. All my “solutions” to cut down on litter tracking usually annoy the cat and often backfire somehow. Now I let her kick how she wants to. And a few times a week, sometimes once a day, I’ll do a pass over her litter area with the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser handheld. I have owned a lot of handhelds and I really enjoy using this one. Works great and the motorized roller brush does an awesome job on litter and cat food (Krista still drops food occasionally and I don’t blame her with the mismatched set of teeth she is left with.). Takes me a couple of minutes to clean up her eating areas and her litterboxes. Cleanup is a snap too. No awkward spring-loaded canisters that explode a cloud of dust when triggered (looking at you, Dyson!)

Here’s a review of an older model. Newer model has lithium battery and a 30 minute runtime. Though I’ve never needed it for more than five minutes because it does its job and does it well.
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Handheld Vacuum Review

• Purraise
Reactions: Jwa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never had a litter mat that worked. All my “solutions” to cut down on litter tracking usually annoy the cat and often backfire somehow. Now I let her kick how she wants to. And a few times a week, sometimes once a day, I’ll do a pass over her litter area with the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser handheld. I have owned a lot of handhelds and I really enjoy using this one. Works great and the motorized roller brush does an awesome job on litter and cat food (Krista still drops food occasionally and I don’t blame her with the mismatched set of teeth she is left with.). Takes me a couple of minutes to clean up her eating areas and her litterboxes. Cleanup is a snap too. No awkward spring-loaded canisters that explode a cloud of dust when triggered (looking at you, Dyson!)

Here’s a review of an older model. Newer model has lithium battery and a 30 minute runtime. Though I’ve never needed it for more than five minutes because it does its job and does it well.
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Handheld Vacuum Review
Hey..you had told me about the Bissell a few months back and I got one..I use it once or twice a day! Lifesaver. Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Never had a litter mat that worked. All my “solutions” to cut down on litter tracking usually annoy the cat and often backfire somehow. Now I let her kick how she wants to.
:yeah: Ditto!

I got tired of trying to contain the litter being kicked out with a mat. It literally flies across the room sometimes. :rolleyes2: I also use a handheld vacuum by Shark. It works like a charm and I clean the floor once a day with it.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jwa

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The best litter mat I've tried is an XL double-layer honeycomb mat. I've had one for years. It was imported from South Korea and very expensive at the time, but does such a good job trapping litter that I've never regretted spending the money on it. Nowadays they're more affordable because there are several competing brands.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best litter mat I've tried is an XL double-layer honeycomb mat. I've had one for years. It was imported from South Korea and very expensive at the time, but does such a good job trapping litter that I've never regretted spending the money on it. Nowadays they're more affordable because there are several competing brands.
Im glad this works for you. Krista doesn’t always pee in the box. I don’t think she means anything by it. But sometimes she pees out the front or a side. I use pee pads beneath her boxes. If she misses, I change out the pads immediately. No pooling pee. And that’s what I’m afraid this would do if I put it under the boxes. While I think it would do a great job with litter, I think it would also pool pee between those layers those times she misses. :(