Do Kittens/Cats get cold?

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All!

I'm  totally new to this having a cat thing so please dont judge me haha.  (Also, the kitten I have is about 15 weeks old and is a Siberian).

Can kittens and cats get cold?  Can kittens get cold easier than cats?  I ask this because I need to know how high I should leave my heat during the winter.  Is 65 high enough for when I'm not home?  I just dont want her to be uncomfortable or get sick.

Please and thankyou!

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
CatQuestions232,

It's best to keep your kitten warm during the winter months. Some places are extremely cold but any winter is cold. As long as the temperature is comfortable for you while at home, it's comfortable for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fair enough, but should I keep it warmer than is comfortable for me for  a kitten.  Im comfortable at 65-68.  Would a kitten be fine at that temperature?

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The body temperature for a cat is between 100 and 102 vs. 98.6 for a human. As a result, they are able to tolerate heat better than humans but may seek out sources of warmth before a human would.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I should think so. Many cats live in cold countries or even colder countries. As long as she is kept indoors, 65/68 should be no problem for her. just prepare some warm blankets in places she likes to sleep. Maybe her carrier or bed or the sofa. So that she can get warmth from the blankets if she ever feel too cold.
My boy sleeps in the a/c room at 71deg without coverings.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I should add that your little one is a breed that is equipped to handle very cold weather [emoji]128522[/emoji] Just be sure she has plenty of cozy places to snuggle in!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to keep it cool at night because I've always slept better when it's cool and it has the desirable side effect of encouraging my kitties to snuggle me at night.  :)

Cats are very good at finding warm spots - on top of computers, right by the heater, on top of a pizza box . . .

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's fine.  Just leave her places to burrow and snuggle.  Mooch always burrows herself under my big couch blanket the first few cold days of the year.  Then in the winter I usually find her sleeping on top of it when I get up in the morning.  (No cats in our bed because DH is allergic.)  You can find fleece baby blankets or fabric for not very much money.  Those would be great to make a cozy little nest for her inside a box or her carrier.  I leave ours out and both girls will nap in them.  We do have a heated cat bed; but I don't leave it on constantly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
65 F is fine
If you still worry, provide blankets for your kitten to snuggle under or buy a heated pet bed (electric or self warming). I give my cats a Snuggle Safe pad in case they want something warm to lie on. I tuck the pad under a folded fleece blanket to prevent posible skin burns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great responses guys! Really appreciate the help!  I love the point about the breed I have..."siberian" lol...she should be fine with anything I can stand.