Do I Need To Clean Luna’s Spay Incision?

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so my Luna got spayed yesterday and her brother got neutered. They are 4 months and seemed to bounce back really fast. They’re both recovering well. Luna has a cone because she kept licking, and I’m having to put her in a big dog cage at night because her brother also tries to lick her wound which leads to my question.

After Cayde ate his food, he started licking her wound and I didn’t notice for about a minute and then I realised what he was doing. Do I need to clean it or anything? I’m taking her to the vet again on Friday for her incision to be checked but I don’t want it to get infected.

It looks a bit yellow/orange however I think it’s because I’ve been giving them canned pumpkin with their food to help with post anaesthetic constipation, and the pumpkin might have been on his tongue. I’m not sure though.

Attachments

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this looks fine. Just watch for redness, heat, swelling and discharge. Being done on the side like that for me is the best way it’s how I do all my strays and they are fine the next day. Maybe she’s licking cos the stitches are annoying her but they should hopefully be able to come out unless they are dissolvable ones but I think even these can be removed if irritating her. Also where the skin is clipped might be annoying her. I think she’s ok, doesn’t look infected. The yellow could still be the betadine they used before surgery it can take a few days to go away.
Normal diet should also be fine. I have neutered many strays and never had any issue so I’m sure your baby will be ok. I also put them straight back on normal food with no problems

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That looks about like I would expect it to look. There is no obvious irritation or swelling above normal (you're going to have a LITTLE, it is a surgery). Lauren4883 Lauren4883 is right. Ferals are released very soon after surgery to avoid undue stress on them, and almost all do very well without cones or any further intervention.