Do I need to bathe my cat after she was outside?

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long story short - we came close to losing our girl tonight. I am so relieved that she is back in our house safe and sound. I feel very badly as I took her outside to brush her (she sheds a lot and I thought it would be nice to be able to brush her outside without the cleanup). This was a big mistake as she bolted into a great big hedge. We were out looking for over an hour and then it started getting dark and the sprinklers came on. I think the sprinklers saved us as she started meowing right when they turned on. I don’t want to scare her by trying to give her a bath as I feel she has already been through quite a lot. Is it okay if I don’t bathe her? She was just wet from the sprinklers and the ground by the hedge was just flat dirt, I don’t think much got on her. Thanks for reading!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Long story short - we came close to losing our girl tonight. I am so relieved that she is back in our house safe and sound. I feel very badly as I took her outside to brush her (she sheds a lot and I thought it would be nice to be able to brush her outside without the cleanup).
Glad that your girl is back home safe and sound.

Just like what DreamerRose DreamerRose mentioned, if she's not visibly dirty, you need not bathe her. Take a brush and gently brush her down first and if you need to clean her a little more cleaner, either you take a soft warm towel and make sure it's pretty dry or pet safe wet tissues from the pet store, and gently wipe her down.

Last edited:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing. Except my kitty has been outside for almost 37 days now. I will try to find the wipes for her when I finally catch her. I have seen my cat on camera and she’s a mess and probably covered in fleas. She is constantly scratching her self. Luckily I already have some prescription flea medication for her from our vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing. Except my kitty has been outside for almost 37 days now. I will try to find the wipes for her when I finally catch her. I have seen my cat on camera and she’s a mess and probably covered in fleas. She is constantly scratching her self. Luckily I already have some prescription flea medication for her from our vet.
So sorry to hear this. I hope you get her soon. It is such a difficult situation to be in. I hated every minute of it. Good luck ❤

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. I hope you get her soon. It is such a difficult situation to be in. I hated every minute of it. Good luck ❤
Thank you! It’s been rough. I can’t even tell you how much money we have invested in cameras and traps to try and catch bubbles. She’s been one tough cat to catch. But I don’t know how long she had been outside before I realized she had gotten out.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If the wipes are for hoomans and are alcohol, scent, preservatives, fragrance and moisturizer free, it can be used for the kitties too. And not to mention paraben free too.

Last edited: