Do collars always cause hair loss?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put a collar on my escape artist Fiona and it caused her to lose her hair where the collar goes. Its a nice one with embroidered fishes on it. I was wondering if it could be from the fancy stitching for the fishies or if all collars would cause this to happen?

So, anyone with a collar they recommend? or has everyone experianced their cats losing the fur around the collar area? I feel really bad about it but I would feel worse if she got out and I never saw her again.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with Storm, she's a door dasher and must wear a collar at all times! I make all of my cats collars and most of my dog collars from light cotton + light weight interfacing (heavier for the dog) and haven't really had a problem with hair loss. The hair under he collar is all squished down but she's had this type of collar for over 6 months now and it hasn't rubbed any fur off. Also, be sure that it's fitted properly and not too tight. You want it snug but I like to be able to fit 1-2 fingers under the collar. Maybe try a thinner soft cotton collar, no embroidery.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eventually it will cause some hair loss and create a "ring" aound the neck area. If the collar is too loose, then it can come off. As long as you are ok with the "ring" look - keep the collar on.

My first cat was the only one to wear a collar - because he was outside sometimes. But after taking him to cat shows and showing, I took off his collar and supervised him outside. It took months before his neck was back to normal with no ring around it.

I show my cats and they are 100% indoor cats - so NO collars at all.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

So, anyone with a collar they recommend? or has everyone experianced their cats losing the fur around the collar area? I feel really bad about it but I would feel worse if she got out and I never saw her again.
mine all have Ragtime collars. Pixel has a tendency to lose hair, so she doesn't wear hers unless we're going to the vet or somewhere - she never tries to go outside. the others do fine - no hair loss at all. i think some cats are more sensitive than others.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

mine all have Ragtime collars. Pixel has a tendency to lose hair, so she doesn't wear hers unless we're going to the vet or somewhere - she never tries to go outside. the others do fine - no hair loss at all. i think some cats are more sensitive than others.
They are just great looking collars an safe too, I want to get our cats a collar each just for temporary when we move, they will be kept in but if any of them were to escape then its a great precaution, I hope they do these collars or similar in England. x

karenkaren07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a beastie band collar with a collar tag (http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/?A=S&ID=38).
My cat doesn't like hanging ID tags and they get in the way when he eats, and the beastie band is pretty light. It's stretchy, and the velcro is meant to break apart in case he gets caught on anything.

Another collar that might cause less hair loss is:
http://www.amazon.com/Midnite-Black-...535401&sr=8-16
It's much thinner than a regular collar.

The ragtime collars look awesome too. They seem very lightweight as well.

Hope you find something that works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
Those ragtime collars look very soft and lightweight.
I appreciate the suggestions.

In the area I live in its city like and all sorts of people live around me. I just want to make sure that they would know the cat belongs to someone and perhaps look at the tag and see she is an "indoor only cat" and call my phone number on it.

She likes to slip out and is successful more often than I'd like. Last time she got out when I wasn't home (my sister answered the door for the fedex guy) and she was out for 6 hours...
Lord knows what could have happened. In a town not far from where I live two cats on two different days but same neighborhood got doused with gasoline and had to be PTS........no way I am letting that happen to my cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know a collar won't protect her from that but maybe it will make someone think twice about messing with her if they see she isn't a stray. I have to think positively.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Beastie Bands collars. Delilah's short hair was not affected by the collar. With Belle's longer hair, you could see where the collar was. I don't think her hair was falling out, but moreso that the collar affected how the hair grew. It didn't take long for the hair to grow up when I took the collars off.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoeys fell out due to a allergy to the dyes used ... this is why no one cept the dog has a collar now