Do cats realize how stinkin' cute they are?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Do they purposely make themselves cute to make use melt and feed them?

I swear, one of mine knows he's cute and knows how to make himself even cuter by putting his head a certain way or laying his head on something.. 

Seriously, do they do this on purpose?!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes they do. Definitely. 

Lilith LOVES being told that she's pretty. She was relaxing in her hammock last night with her back to me and I started telling her  how beautiful she is. She turned to face me, closed her eyes and starting purring. She does that every time I tell her how pretty she is. She'll stop whatever she's doing to soak it up.  She's such a diva. 

Sophie doesn't really pay much mind to it when I tell her that she's my beautiful little princess. She's usually too busy getting into something she shouldn't. 

Henry likes it when I tell him that he's my handsome little gentleman. I always get slow blinks for that. 

They really are so smart. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they know.

And I think they can get offended, just like people. Growing up, we had a big old cat, we had his mama so we had him his whole life. Anyway, at 18 pounds he was a little overweight (but not by much, he was huge). One day he was on the table and my sister starting laughing at his poochie belly. Then she pretended to milk him like a cow. I cracked up, and that cat put his ears back and gave us a dirty look, and gave us a cold shoulder (which we deserved, bratty teenagers) for days.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Robin REALLY wants my attention, he doesn't act out, he sits like a sphinx and puffs every whisker and hair on his face out til he looks like a cross between a cat and a cotton ball.

zellie1021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They definitely know. Especially when they are doing something bad. They will just come up and start rubbing all over you to distract you and make you forget what they really were doing. Lol

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They definitely know. Especially when they are doing something bad. They will just come up and start rubbing all over you to distract you and make you forget what they really were doing. Lol
Yup. Sophie does this. Whenever I catch her getting into something she shouldn't, she flops on her side at my feet and then rolls over onto her back with her fluffy belly and little feet in the air trying to look extra cute and innocent. Of course it works every time. 

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Comet does. And he uses this to his advantage whenever he can. No, Comet. Mommy in the kitchen does NOT mean a treat EVERY time she enters.

(just most times because he knows he's spoiled.)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie did this again to me last night. I had gotten home from the grocery store and put the bags and my purse on the floor so I could put everything away. I heard a rustling sound. I turned and there was Sophie with her entire head and front paws in my purse digging around. I said, "Saurus what are you doing?" (Saurus is her nickname, short for Sophiesaurus). She popped out of my purse, walked over to me, flopped down on her back and started waving her paws at me. I gave her a tickle and went back to putting things away. 2 seconds later, the rustling starts again. She's in my purse again. Her whole head and front paws again. I just laughed and again asked what she was doing. Her head popped out of my purse and she looked at me like she was trying to say, "Who me? I Wasn't doing nothing. Honest". I found out later what she was after. The receipt. She dragged it out, ripped it up and left the room. Was she mad because it wasn't a  Petsmart receipt?
  She usually inspects the bags but this is the first time she's gone in my purse. It looked like she was trying to climb into it. She's so silly and fun. I adore that little girl. 

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there is no danger I don't discourage silly behavior where they just have to be in the middle of what you're doing. While there are some firm boundaries this bonding is what shapes part of their personalities that make them so unbelievably dear to us. Our cats are truly considered family members. Not pets to play with when we feel like we have the time or solely on our terms. The ability to plead cuteness is just as small part of the expansive language cats learn to use to communicate with us.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they purposely make themselves cute to make use melt and feed them?

I swear, one of mine knows he's cute and knows how to make himself even cuter by putting his head a certain way or laying his head on something.. 

Seriously, do they do this on purpose?!
That describes Lucky to a 'T'. He used to rub on my leg and eventually his face would be on the floor and he'd just flip his whole body over. I called referred to it as him doing his "flippy thingy" :lol3:

I have a feeling the boys are gonna be like him a lot in the cuteness department.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The short answer is, "Yes."  The long answer is, "not only do they know it, but they know how to use it to best advantage in every human/cat contact situation.  They have a secret "cute cats rule" manual that they pass around, complete with notes and updates.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is a lunatic. He will be looking all cute and I'll come over and pet him, and he'll bite me. Because that's what he does. He thinks biting is the most awesome way to show affection. It's not serious biting, not meant to hurt me, but it's still funny.